It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lithium-ion batteries of e-bikes and e-scooters are causing hundreds of fires

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2023 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Well I hope we won't have too much to worry too much more about lithium battery operated travel devices because they should be fazed out.

Lithium-ion batteries of e-bikes and e-scooters are causing hundreds of fires in New York and San Francisco
July 31, 2023

Electric bikes and scooters powered by lithium-ion batteries have sparked hundreds of fires across New York and San Francisco, resulting in many deaths and injuries.

Instead of a slow smoldering ignition point that grows over a matter of minutes, these fires often result in actual explosions. Within just a minute, lithium-ion battery fires can grow massively and get out of control.

Lithium battery fires cause over a dozen deaths in New York
In New York, Fire Commissioner Laura Kavanagh noted during a public safety briefing that the number of fires caused by lithium-ion batteries has “grown exponentially every year since 2021.”

“We are now, unfortunately, seeing more and more of these kinds of extremely fast-moving, very powerful fires with some regularity in the city,” she continued. “As of this week, there have been 131 fires, 76 injuries and 13 deaths caused by these lithium-ion batteries.”

This year alone, 24 fires have already been attributed to lithium-ion batteries. In the deadliest incident to occur in the city, a lithium-ion battery set fire to an e-bike store, killing four people in the apartments above. The owner allegedly violated multiple rules surrounding the number of devices at the location and the way they were being charged.

“All it takes is for one small battery cell to be defective, overcharged or damaged, and a tremendous amount of energy is released in the form of heat and toxic flammable gases all at once,” warned New York Fire Department Chief of Hazmat Operations Daniel Murray.

“You go from no fire at all to a fully involved fire within seconds,” warned New York Chief Fire Marshal Daniel Flynn. “This isn’t something that we’ve really seen for accidental fires in the past. These behave almost like an incendiary fire, like arson, like a gas pour, with the speed that they travel.”

Fire caused by lithium battery burns down apartment building in San Francisco

Capt. Jonathan Baxter, a spokesman for the San Francisco Fire Department, admitted that the city has experienced 24 fires caused by lithium-ion batteries this year alone. Since 2017, San Francisco has recorded more than 200 fires caused by lithium-ion batteries, which have injured eight and killed one.

In one particular devastating instance, a defective lithium-ion battery started a fire at 959 Powell Street in San Francisco’s Nob Hill neighborhood, near Chinatown, nearly burning down the 12-unit apartment building.

In the nearby Tenderloin neighborhood, two individuals were forced to jump out of an apartment complex window to escape a fire spreading in their unit caused by an overheated e-scooter battery plugged into a charger near the unit’s front door.

www.californiacollapse.news...#

I don't see how they could possibly continue down this lane. Exactly how many deaths does it take to put a stop to these killer batteries ? We already know that they are an unsustainable source. They are dangerous. They are expensive. They are causing damage, death and much more environmental distress both in their creation and their untimely demise than petroleum vehicles.

Give it up already.
edit on 4231202300000031bSun, 06 Aug 2023 23:42:42 -05002023000000x by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2023 @ 12:21 AM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

What worries me is the EV fires that can burn for hours. A low-speed fender bender is all it takes to start s fire; imagine having a couple of toddlers in the back seat, strapped in to safety seats when your car erupts in flames!

XL5

posted on Aug, 7 2023 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Most people use lithium batteries till the device turns off, then fast charge it when its warm. IMO the useable voltage range is 3.7V to 4.2V (or the max voltage for the specific cell) and the optimal range is 3.85V to 4.05V. If they were not so expensive maybe people would replace them at the first signs of degradation. Never charge lithium batteries that are hot or get hot when charging.

posted on Aug, 7 2023 @ 01:48 AM
link   
a reply to: XL5

The ones I have for my power tools have safety features built into the packs and chargers. They will not charge if hot and will stop charging if they get hot. They also shut down at a proper level before they run down too far.

It sounds like a lot of corners were cut to make those devices too cheep to be safe.

posted on Aug, 7 2023 @ 02:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: beyondknowledge2

The ones I have for my power tools have safety features built into the packs and chargers. They will not charge if hot and will stop charging if they get hot. They also shut down at a proper level before they run down too far.

It sounds like a lot of corners were cut to make those devices too cheep to be safe.

Probably bamg on there. I can't recal;l say a Dewalt battery catching fire on charge. but then they cost more than tuppence if you want to buy one.

posted on Aug, 7 2023 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Yep one just burned some poor person in Aotearoa New Zealand last week I think. It was charging in their apartment.

posted on Aug, 7 2023 @ 04:50 AM
link   

500 electric vehicles on the ship Freemantle Highway burned for 6 days last week.

edit on 7-8-2023 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

XL5

posted on Aug, 7 2023 @ 04:54 AM
link   
a reply to: beyondknowledge2

Most devices and even tool batteries shut down at 3.3V per cell, some devices will cut out at 3V per cell. Some cheap chinese things might cut out at 2.8V per cell. I have never felt safe discharging them under 3.75V as it shortens the life span and given the cost/danger it doesn't sit right with me.

I'd love it if there was a better option that was cheap enough but so far it seems like they want to milk us forever.

posted on Aug, 7 2023 @ 06:21 AM
link   

If there was a better option it would be on the market- guys who use these tools every day would play twice as much for a battery that had twice the run time at the same weight, which is saying something when the current 9ah batteries are $200 or more!
I left one of my 9ah outside for a week (oops) and now the computer board is junk.

I'm waiting for the EV fad to pass, but there's so much push for it that I don't think it will pass until the market is saturated. I just want a gas scooter!

posted on Aug, 7 2023 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Mackinaw Island Michigan does not allow them because of too many old and historic buildings. And they don't allow vehicles either.

Mackinaw Island life without cars.

island.networkingdesign.com:8183...

edit on 0825kAmerica/ChicagoMondayMonday by mikell because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2023 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Could the same to similar claims not be made regarding the lithium-ion batteries in mobile phones?

Then there is the number of chargers that have melted and contributed to fires both domestically and in the workplace which granted is somewhat of a different kettle of fish but still responsible for charging the things same as with e-bikes and scooters.

The fact is that lithium-ion battery technology is not going anywhere anytime time soon.

And if anything the demand for such products is only going to increase.

posted on Aug, 7 2023 @ 06:46 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

I was in my garden a couple of months ago and I could smell smoke.....my first thought was a bonfire......then the next thought was.....that stinks, that smells like a house on fire.

A little later I went out the front to get in my car to go do some shopping and noticed that there was 4 fire engines on the other side just up the road.

A neighbour told me that it was a phone on charge that caused it. Luckily no one was hurt......but some pets died, including some reptiles.

posted on Aug, 7 2023 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

Fact is it happens all the time.

A lot of the problems being the result of the cheap pound shop cables/chargers people use to charge their devices and the poor quality of the materials used in their construction, but big named brands have also been known to fail and burn.

That being said I've seen a mere ethernet cable plugged into the back of a PC cause a short, melt and begin to burn.

I tell my kids and Mrs all the time not to leave their chargers plugged into sockets when not in use or not to charge their devices overnight, not that anybody takes much notice.
edit on 7-8-2023 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2023 @ 07:09 AM
link   

The real problem is that once those batteries start to burn they turn into blow torches.

posted on Aug, 7 2023 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Indeed, and as some people have found out to their detriment.

Not remember this muppet?

Lucky bastard to still be in possession of his jaw and face.

posted on Aug, 7 2023 @ 07:17 AM
link   

But you don't have to be a muppet to be in danger from them.

Did you see the toxic fumes coming off the Freemantle Highway for 6 days?

posted on Aug, 7 2023 @ 07:23 AM
link   

I am wondering ....how would you deal with a phone charger if it bursts into flames in front of you in your home?

posted on Aug, 7 2023 @ 07:27 AM
link   

But you don't have to be a muppet to be in danger from them.

No, but it helps.

The reason lithium-ion batteries can potentially explode is down to a phenomenon known as thermal runaway.

Where reaction occurs when the battery's internal temperature increases to a critical point leading to further heat generation potentially causing the battery to catch fire and explode.

Did you see the toxic fumes coming off the Freemantle Highway for 6 days?

Yeh i saw Freemantle Highway incident, im surprised she managed to remain afloat to be honest.

posted on Aug, 7 2023 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Yes thermal runaway is when jet-like flames start coming from the battery......like a blow torch....

posted on Aug, 7 2023 @ 07:34 AM
link   

We wont do away with lithium ion batteries any time soon. If you are staunchly against the technology, you best get rid of your phone, laptops, digital tablets, etc....

As some have mentioned, it is about the quality of the battery and the safety features. We need to avoid using cheap products.

Finally, lithium based battery technology will continue to evolve to better, more efficient and safer forms. Solid state is the latest example. There are some other battery technologies out there, but it will take a good amount of time to develop.

It is impractical to give up this technology right now.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join