It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Started selling used cars and ...wow. Federal crimes?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2023 @ 10:00 PM
link   
As a career change I took a job selling used cars.

I've only been doing it about 6 months and I found out the owner buys salvage cars gets them retitled and then resells them.

Ok...but...

He's been cutting off the catalytic converters to sell separately and replacing them with "resonators" before sale to the public

Resonators are basically a second muffler and do nothing to meet emissions standards.

I've been told this is a federal crime.

I'm not trying to go to jail over this job.

Also, it seems that the lead salesman has felony assault charges that disqualify him from holding a sales license.

All of my work email, social media, digital signature and other work related accounts and passwords are in the hands of the owner and other salesman as well.

I don't trust either of them as far as I can throw them and I'm concerned that they may do things in my name without my consent.

I'm not sure what steps I should take to protect myself at this point or if I should just start looking for a different place to work.

+18 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2023 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

I recommend finding a new job.

+6 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2023 @ 10:03 PM
link   

A lawyer would be my first step...not that you actually need to use him in court. But in this case you'd use him to advise you how to stay out of court in the first place.
edit on 6-8-2023 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2023 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Amscra-y---used to be the term. Take care, Abe.

posted on Aug, 6 2023 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Knowing what you already know, I would put my 2 weeks in, get a lawyer in case anything comes up, and start writing in a notebook of things and dates you know that are things being committed that is fraud, not because you want to expose them but because you want to protect your self. Just put your two weeks in, take down and change emails and social media. Or be a whistleblower.

posted on Aug, 6 2023 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Not a good place to be, for sure.

Only two things you can find at a used car dealer, criminal activity and slimey sales people.

If you're worried about your reputation, you should be.

posted on Aug, 6 2023 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Run from evil.

posted on Aug, 6 2023 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I'll agree with Tamusan, just go out and find a new job.

posted on Aug, 6 2023 @ 11:49 PM
link   

#1. Don’t ever incriminate yourself by writing online about what you know.

#2. Get a new job asap

posted on Aug, 7 2023 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Operating a salvage vehicle on public roads or highways is illegal in most (all?) states. Buying a salvage vehicle and illegally changing the title to trick a buyer is also illegal.

You should just leave this job. You don't need to give them an idea that you know they are criminals, you don't need to give them a reason for quitting either. Just disappear. Be best if they believed you were dead.

posted on Aug, 7 2023 @ 03:04 AM
link   
The enterweb never forgets.

You no longer have plausible deniability.

And forgo giving a notice. Find another job immediately, once you're 100% sure you have another job, quit this one.

posted on Aug, 7 2023 @ 05:15 AM
link   
When I worked at the local county and township parks I got to see firsthand how corrupt they really are. Because it was a hostile work environment and they never evaluated my job performance, I kept notes on everything I did at work, but only to prove I was doing my job.

After 6 years of seeing how bad they were, I realized I should have been taking notes on what they were doing. I did that in my last year with the township parks, took pictures, wrote down dates and other notes, I could have gotten $3,000 for turning them in, but the campers had already got them busted with their Facebook comments.

I made these notes not to turn them in, I wanted to protect myself with blackmail if necessary. That's how bad it got for me, worse really when I started to do things I shouldn't, like take tips from campers, and other bad things. My advice is to take notes, maybe see a lawyer, but get out quickly before they corrupt you too.
edit on 7-8-2023 by MichiganSwampBuck because: for clarity

posted on Aug, 7 2023 @ 06:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Mahogany

How do you figure you can't drive a salvage vehicle?
When my first car got totaled, the insurance company allowed me to buy it back with a salvage title for $600, and I kept driving it until the inspection sticker ran out. If it could have taken a sticker I'd have kept driving it, and as far as I know there's no law against that- salvage titles exist for a reason

posted on Aug, 7 2023 @ 06:53 AM
link   
I agree with everyone here …. This is not good for you.

1.Make a journal -notes of everything that is going on . You must include : dates, names and times . It will protect you in court if necessary and is considered an admissible legal document in court .

keep any text messages ,photos , and voice mails . Send them to your personal email account ..print them out …stick them together in your note book -journal ….

2. Find a new job immediately . But, I would use an excuse you are leaving because of family issues , have to take care of an ailing parent , or something like that … and leave immediately . Just knowing what they are doing and staying there could implement you in a crime , and Make you an accessory .

3.its not a matter of “if “a customer will figure it out , it’s “when “a customer will figure it out … and when a customer does, this will be bad. They will sue’s the company , and you could be liable too. A good lawyer will attach your name to the suit and find as many layers of lawsuits to file ,to get as much money as possible .

4. As far as being a whistle blower , and telling someone , I’m not sure I would go that route . There is always retaliation to worry about . I have no idea if there is a way to anonymously drop a dime on someone any more ? Technology makes that almost impossible . You could make an immunity agreement with the police ,if you feel it’s necessary to tell someone … but there is still the retaliation possibility ..

5.I don’t know if you can block email or account usage , or wipe them . Someone else here may know better … But I would also send a formal email or certified letter with your resignation. You will have a date and time stamp of when you left the company .Just more proof that you were done on a certain date . That way if they keep using your accounts , and your name … you have proof .

6. Since you are on their payroll, you are linked to them. So don’t be surprised when the police come knocking in your door. This is why you need a journal and a formal dates resignation letter . CYA= Cover your As* !!

Good luck , get the hell out of there !! Better things are coming your way !

posted on Aug, 7 2023 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Simple. Leave the job if you don’t like it.

posted on Aug, 7 2023 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Be very careful. Depending upon what state you are in. You could get caught up in a legal nightmare. Find another job pronto.

What is a Salvage Vehicle?

What is a Salvage Vehicle?
In Georgia, a salvage vehicle is any motor vehicle:

Damaged to the extent that its restoration to an operable condition would require the replacement of two or more component parts.
That an insurance company has paid a ‘total loss claim’ and the vehicle has not been repaired, regardless of the extent of damage or the number of major parts damaged.
Imported and was damaged in shipment and disclaimed by the manufacturer as a result of the damage:
Has never subject of a retail sale, and
Has never been issued a title.
Titled in another state and branded as “Total Loss,” “Salvage,” “Fire,” “Flood,” or “Water.”

Salvage vehicles cannot be operated legally on public roads in Georgia.

posted on Aug, 7 2023 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Hire a lawyer to broker you a deal with a prosecutor and document everything to shelter you from any liability

posted on Aug, 7 2023 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Over 35 years ago I knew this guy who was working for property developers who were as dodgy af , They would give him a nearly new sports car most weekends that they said they bought at a car market / auction to flip for better money in another area .

One night he had a unfortunate little bump with a bolard in a car park and in the morning went to fix this small dent in a tail Gate of a car before they noticed it and as he went to pull the cover off the boot/trunk back it started to rain down bars of MJ on him .

He wisened up real quick to the situation

or so he thought !

Get out of dodge dude as there may be more going on than you know about .

posted on Aug, 7 2023 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman
As a career change I took a job selling used cars.

I've only been doing it about 6 months and I found out the owner buys salvage cars gets them retitled and then resells them.

Ok...but...

He's been cutting off the catalytic converters to sell separately and replacing them with "resonators" before sale to the public

Resonators are basically a second muffler and do nothing to meet emissions standards.

I've been told this is a federal crime.

I'm not trying to go to jail over this job.

Also, it seems that the lead salesman has felony assault charges that disqualify him from holding a sales license.

All of my work email, social media, digital signature and other work related accounts and passwords are in the hands of the owner and other salesman as well.

I don't trust either of them as far as I can throw them and I'm concerned that they may do things in my name without my consent.

I'm not sure what steps I should take to protect myself at this point or if I should just start looking for a different place to work.

You need a license to sell cars? Never heard of that.
None of the dealers around here require a license. And I know a few car salesmen. And for some reason there are a lot of convicted criminals in car sales. I know one one who did several years for coc aine trafficing.
edit on 7-8-2023 by coop039 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2023 @ 11:16 AM
link   

This sounds like what you would tell during a deposition before your trial........

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join