It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Leprosy May Now be Endemic in Florida

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2023 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Well we were warned weren't we that when things heat up globally as in atmosphere all the pestilence will rise. However, they hopefully can contain this with current medicine. I live in the South and we have Armadillos. Filthy critters that carry the Leprosy gene. They used to come around our pool in Georgia so I bought myself a box of Dixie Dynamite and when they are in their hole I put one in a tennis ball and roll it down into the hole.

BOOM. Crimson tide!

So am I cruel. Not in my eyes I am protecting humanity. I also kill snakes. I took out a Copperhead and Water Moccasin last year. Both were 6 footers.
I also trucked two black racers with a lawnmower. Both were 8 footers.

We also have bunnies, squirrels, fox, coyote, possum [aka road kill delicacy], deer, racoons and kitty cats. They all get a free pass to live long and prosper.

So here we go

Cases of leprosy have increased in Florida and the southeastern United States over the last decade, according to a new report.

Leprosy, officially called Hansen’s disease, is a rare type of bacterial infection that attacks the nerves and can cause swelling under the skin. The new research paper, published in the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Emerging Infectious Diseases journal, found that reported cases doubled in the Southeast over the last 10 years.

Central Florida in particular has seen a disproportionate share of cases, which indicates it might be an endemic location for the disease, meaning leprosy has a consistent presence in the region's population rather than popping up in the form of one-off outbreaks.

Yikes
edit on 04 13 2023 by Waterglass because: add

posted on Aug, 2 2023 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Waterglass

When I lived in Florida I met a friends little son.

He to this day is the only person I truly believe could be a psychopath or serial killer.
Why? He loved to kill animals and also collect dead animals. He was around 8 or 9.
There were many others things, but that one always stood out. Killing toads, birds, lizards…

On animal in particular really made me sick to my stomach, a dead armadillo!
They can spread leprosy!!! It’s not super common, but it still happens and I know I wouldn’t take my chances nor let
My kid pick up a dead one.

posted on Aug, 2 2023 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I love animals but I will kill snakes and Armadillos simply because of the leprosy. I cant allow them to drink from my swimming pool water.

Yuk, picked up a dead one.

posted on Aug, 2 2023 @ 10:11 AM
link   

I wonder how many secret Chinese biolabs are in Florida?

posted on Aug, 2 2023 @ 10:11 AM
link   

I have tons of armadillos in my area.

They have got to be the dumbest critters I've ever seen.

posted on Aug, 2 2023 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I also live in Florida, and although some armadillos can carry leprosy, its definitely not something to get hysterical about. I recall learning that only about 20% of them carry the bacteria (the rates increase in more southern countries, like Brazil). Furthermore, you'd have to have prolonged contact with it, or be consuming it to get the disease. Armadillos are very shy creatures and will scurry if approached. They are somewhat easy to sneak up on because they have very poor eyesight, but if you're afraid of their bacteria, why would you? Just leave the little guys alone. I find them very cute!

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 2 2023 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Waterglass
I love animals but I will kill snakes and Armadillos simply because of the leprosy. I cant allow them to drink from my swimming pool water.

Yes, killing all the animals really helped in the end.

Leprosy is treatable and can be avoided.

Education stops ignorance.

posted on Aug, 2 2023 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Yep, I've had armadillos before too, just spray bobcat urine( better pet them first) it took care of all my rodent problems, Even used it at my parent's house where they had a squirrel infestation.

Get rid of your rodents and usually your snakes will disappear too. We used to have a huge king snake that I found once curled up in a garage drawer, plump from a mouse breakfast. I jumped about 3 feet in the air when I opened it up, I slowly slid it out and carried the drawer as far away from my body as possible and let it go in the yard. About 6 weeks later I found it on my basketball court devouring a copperhead.

As for leprosy, let's not lose our heads or extremities yet, the most recent year's total new cases were 159 mostly in 5 states
It's easily treatable and not easy to catch 95% of us aren't even susceptible to the bacteria that causes it.

HOW DOES LEPROSY SPREAD? It’s not known exactly how the disease spreads between people, the CDC says, but scientists currently think it may happen when a person with the disease coughs or sneezes, and a healthy person breathes in the droplets containing the bacteria. Unlike COVID-19, prolonged and close contact with someone with untreated leprosy over many months is needed to catch the disease. You cannot get leprosy from casual contact with a person who has the disease like shaking hands, hugs and sitting next to each other. According to the National Hansen’s Disease Program, around 95% of people are not susceptible to infection with the bacteria that causes leprosy. CAN LEPROSY BE TREATED? Leprosy can be easily treated, according to the CDC. Early diagnosis and treatment with three antibiotics usually prevents disability that can result from the disease, and people with the disease can continue to work and lead an active life. Once treatment is started, the person is no longer contagious, but it’s essential that the patient finishes the entire course of treatment as directed by their doctor.

Of the 159 new cases reported in the U.S. in 2020, the most recent year for which data is available, 110 or 69% of them were reported in Florida, California, Louisiana, Hawaii, New York and Texas, according to the National Hansen’s Disease Program, a service of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services primarily responsible for inpatient and outpatient care and treatment of people with the illness.

Read more at: www.miamiherald.com...=cpy

posted on Aug, 2 2023 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Leprosy May Now be Endemic in Florida

Sounds almost Biblical....Book of Revelations, anyone?

posted on Aug, 2 2023 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Of the 159 new cases reported in the U.S. in 2020, the most recent year for which data is available, 110 or 69% of them were reported in Florida, California, Louisiana, Hawaii, New York and Texas

To which I might add also have a high number of 'undocumented' aliens. We're also facing a significant rise in other communicable diseases, like TB and malaria.

It will be ok; scientists are warp-speeding mRNA vaccines to protect us from all of these emerging threats. As soon as the fear factor reaches a crescendo people will be rolling up their sleeves for salvation.

posted on Aug, 2 2023 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: nugget1
a reply to: putnam6

Of the 159 new cases reported in the U.S. in 2020, the most recent year for which data is available, 110 or 69% of them were reported in Florida, California, Louisiana, Hawaii, New York and Texas

To which I might add also have a high number of 'undocumented' aliens. We're also facing a significant rise in other communicable diseases, like TB and malaria.

It will be ok; scientists are warp-speeding mRNA vaccines to protect us from all of these emerging threats. As soon as the fear factor reaches a crescendo people will be rolling up their sleeves for salvation.

Yep the article in the Miami Herald was very in-depth and worth a read if interested said it seems, some more pertinent quotes

An endemic disease differs from a pandemic because the cases are somewhat contained and not spreading out of control. When a disease is endemic, actions can be taken to prevent it from spreading and from causing significant disruption in our daily lives. “Those trends, in addition to decreasing diagnoses in foreign-born persons, contribute to rising evidence that leprosy has become endemic in the southeastern United States,” the researchers said.

Several cases in the region, the report’s authors noted, demonstrate no clear evidence of traditionally known risk factors: traveling, infections that are spread between people and animals and personal contact with people who have the disease. A recent systematic review of studies conducted during 1945–2019 supports an increasing role of transmission of the disease from human to animals and from animals to humans but many cases reported in eastern United States, including Georgia and Central Florida, didn’t involve animals or traveling outside of the U.S, the researchers said. Given those studies, and the researcher’s analysis of a 2022 leprosy case in Central Florida, they noted there is “some support” for the theory that international migration of persons with the disease is a potential source of transmission between person to person in the same place.

Read more at: www.miamiherald.com...=cpy

posted on Aug, 2 2023 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Nostradamus cured it with fresh garlic cloves muddled with roses petals coated with morning dew … he fed it by the spoonful to his patients several times a day .

posted on Aug, 2 2023 @ 11:35 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Aug, 2 2023 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Waterglass
Well we were warned weren't we that when things heat up globally as in atmosphere all the pestilence will rise. ....

That's basically true, but it's a little bit more complicated than that. Global circulation models (including both atmosphere and oceans) show that increased heating of the atmosphere due to greenhouse gases will push the boundaries of the subtropical oceans towards the poles. This poleward migration of the warm, subtropical oceans will then push the major atmospheric circulation cells poleward as well.

link.springer.com...

I think that's what we've been seeing in the last decade or so. Expansion of the subtropical oceans would explain the near 100-degree sea surface temperatures at the tip of Florida last month. Historically, the northern boundary of the Hadley atmospheric circulation cell has been at 30 degrees north. That's approximately the latitude (plus or minus about 5 degrees) at which all the major northern deserts occur (Great Basin, Sahara, Arabian, Gobi). As the circulation pattern moves poleward, the desert region boundary will move with it. I think that's why we're suddenly seeing 100+ degree weather and drought in places like Canada and Southern Europe, where it has not been historically common. As poleward migration of the circulation pattern continues, the climate zones associated with the circulation will also migrate.

Most of Florida has traditionally been considered sub-tropical. Now it is becoming more tropical, and all the associated microorganisms that go along with that climate zone (e.g. Mycobacterium leprae) are becoming endemic. Southern Canada and Southern Europe are becoming more arid and more susceptible to wild fires, thereby becoming more desert-like.

IMHO

posted on Aug, 2 2023 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Yeah, yeah. Peprosy, bubonic plague who cares?
To be honest, none of this was a problem until they let people in unchecked.
You live with it. You all want it ( talking to the lefties).

I'm so done with this crap.

posted on Aug, 2 2023 @ 12:43 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 2 2023 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12
Revelation, not Revelations. And funny, I thought all that stuff took place in 66 CE. Silly me.

posted on Aug, 2 2023 @ 12:52 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 2 2023 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Leprosy is one of if not the least infectious of all communicable diseases.
[url=https://www.cdc.gov/leprosy/transmission/index.html#:~:text=Prolonged%2C%20close%20contact%20with%20someone,each%20other%20on%20the%20bus]CDC[/ur l]

It is very hard to catch

posted on Aug, 2 2023 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Please don't kill the king snakes. They kill and eat the venomous snakes. They are a good friend to have around the yard.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join