It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rapper Ice Cube; Hero or Hypocrite?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2023 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Ice Cube is in the news, getting support from Dave Chappelle, Tucker Carlson, and Bill Maher. He's being called a hero by some of these guys. He's "exposing" the evils of Hollywood, and the rap music industry.

Ice Cube, whose real name is O'Shea Jackson, is no dummy. He's amassed a net worth of 150 - 160 million dollars. He grew up in L.A., and got into the music business at a young age. For three decades, he has navigated through the Hollywood scene as a rapper, actor, music and film producer, film director, and writer. He's an interesting dude and he makes for some interesting interviews.

That said, I can't help but question his motives... why he's NOW "exposing" the industry that made him wealthy. It seems he's a little late. Like about 20 years. He certainly was complicit... a willing participant in the evils he now seems to be crusading against.

A quick look back at "when rap turned evil". The first wave of rap music was fun. Lighthearted lyrics about house parties and girls. There were some 'political' songs, but mostly just upbeat stuff. In that first wave was The Sugarhill Gang, Run DMC, and Grandmaster Flash.
And right behind was West Coast gangsta rap, and Ice Cube was a huge part of it.
It was more underground at first, but the record companies saw the potential. They saw that songs about violence, drug use, and misogyny would sell better than songs about "fun themes".

There's more. The record companies not only vigorously promoted violent gangsta rap, they quashed the music that had a positive theme.
A black minister in L.A.s South Central neighborhood said : "Since their ("positive" rappers) music does not contribute to the death and destruction of the Black Community, they do not get airtime on mainstream radio." Record industry people laughed at a U.S. DOJ report that stated "Black-on- black violence has escalated sharply since the late 1980's, when the popularity of gangsta rap was on the rise." That was written 30 years ago!

Then we have this story from 10 years ago: Hip-Ho p Pipelines: The Glaring Connection Between Commercial Rap and the Private Prison Industrial Complex .
That story from the Bonus Cut website contains a link to the semi-famous "anonymoue letter", which allegedly details an insidious conspiracy. Link to The Letter: "The Secret Meeting that Changed Rap Music and Destroyed a Generation"

So now, after 30 years of participating in it, Ice Cube is exposing this monstrous evil. I want to add one last thing I find particularly funny.
In the 90s, Ice Cube was called out by some community leaders who were genuinely trying to help the black youth in their neighborhoods.
When they admonished him for raking in the cash by producing music which glorified violence, crime, and the thug life, he replied "We keep it real." So he not only excused his corruption, he also upped his cred.

Recent Ice Cube news:

I'm exposing the gatekeepers

posted on Jul, 31 2023 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

I'd say he's just a rational human being.

posted on Jul, 31 2023 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I think he and the whole NWA thing was a psyop. Google old pics or Dr Dre. Hilarious.

techfaster.com...

Also, it seems to me they were the first dividers. Black white relations were so good compared to previous history until the gangster rap stuff started. I have no proof, but it seems like that was the purpose, to start racial hatred up again.

Around that time, everyone white person I knew had a couple of black associates. Hell, in 1991, I was many times invited to and went to parties in the hood and we paried and had a great time. Those days are no more it seems.

I am sure that is generalizing, as my daughter called BS on me about that a few weeks ago (she has many black friends) but the difference is this, her black pals are all middle or upper class economically. She would NEVER go down into the city (saint louis). Its too dangerous now.
edit on 31-7-2023 by greendust because: ...

posted on Jul, 31 2023 @ 06:40 PM
link   

What Ice Cube is , Is a true bottom to the Top success story and he did it all on his own .

He is a Capitalist who believes in America and calls out the Democrats for there inaction towards the Black Community who they claim to love .

posted on Jul, 31 2023 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I applaud Ice Cube and the others showing him support.

If we were all perfect at birth, what would the point of living be?

Ice Cube grew up and was exploited by, and later exploited a cultural paradigm that lead him to both monetary success, and the accrued experience leading him to take a stand against a giant, much larger than he himself has become.

I give credit to anyone capable of change. Life is about improving ourselves, and subduing our passions… sounds like he’s well on his way to me.

Great thread

posted on Jul, 31 2023 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: greendust

I was lucky enough to grow up during the 70's and 80's and I've seen great strides forward in the fight against racial discrimination.
I have quite a lot of black friends from various places in the UK including London. They are mostly old school Rasta/Yardie types, good people. I've had some great times with them.

I remember once arranging to meet a couple of them in a pub in Brixton just off Railton Road some time in the late 80's I guess. I got off The Tube and didn't have a clue where to go - well before mobile phones were a thing. I asked a few locals who were Black for directions - I stood out being a 6 foot 1 Skinhead with a North East accent in the middle of Brixton.
They couldn't have been more helpful but I still managed to get lost and wandered into the wrong pub where I was the literally the only white person. The barman looked at me suspiciously and I explained I just wanted a pint and really didn't give a proverbial about what anyone may or may not have been up to. No problems, no hassle.
I got further directions whilst having my pint and found my mates.

I wouldn't dream of doing such a thing now, there's a good chance I'd get lynched....simply because of the colour of my skin.

Not long afterwards was when it all started changing.
And yes, the promotion of gangsta rap and all the hatred and bitterness that goes with it was one of the key things that started the ball rolling.
Its not celebrating or promoting a culture, its hateful and divisive and portrays every Black person as some sort of put upon subjugated person whose only escape can be gangsterism or music.
I get where NWA and Public Enemy etc came from but its been twisted and manipulated - like all music and youth subcultures do - into something that is a pale reflection of what it was and where it originated.

A whole generation of Black people have been brought up on that message of hate, have been manipulated into thinking a certain way and it certainly hasn't been for their benefit.

Over here it has been accentuated by an influx of people from eastern Africa, many of whom have no desire or inclination to integrate.
My aforementioned friends have told me some horror stories about the reality of life living near these people, they truly hate it.

And then finally we've had the advent of the single most detrimental thing to happen to race relations - BLM and woke politics.

We were indeed making great progress. Of course things weren't perfect but they were getting a damned sight better.
Unfortunately race relations have been set back decades.

Why?
There can only be one answer: DIVIDE AND CONQUER.

edit on 31/7/23 by Freeborn because: grammar

posted on Jul, 31 2023 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I will post some songs. Listen to them.

I think he is a person who has had enough and is using his fame to try and make a change. I am glad he is.

Again, listen to the lyrics. (And remember, it is Ice MFing T...not for every pallet.)

From 2018 with Madball:

youtu.be...

From 2014 as Body Count:

youtu.be...

He has been saying this for years, it just now that he is being heard.

And one just for fun...a cover of Suicidal Tendencies from 2014:

youtu.be...

posted on Jul, 31 2023 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I'd say Ice Cube matured.... even though he did do some gangsta rap with NWA, he did still have a somewhat of a pro-black revolutionary position in many of his songs. Recall Common bodied Ice Cube in his song Bitch in Yoo in which he pointed out Ice Cube's hypocrisy.

I am a huge hip hop fan, but I do believe the industry has jumped the shark. The "drill music" that is out now makes the old gangsta rap we group up with look like nursey rhymes. I mean they are literally rapping about actual murders in music now.

I miss when you could listen to NWA but then follow it up with ATCQ, De La, or PE. Now it is just drill drill drill... the real talented lyricists can't get any airplay or exposure. We have actual gang members / murderers making mainstream music along with ex strippers now. Pretty sad.
edit on 31-7-2023 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2023 @ 02:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: asabuvsobelow
...and calls out the Democrats for there inaction towards the Black Community who they claim to love .

posted on Aug, 1 2023 @ 05:17 AM
link   
The main objective in Hollywood is to stay relevant. Right now what he is doing and saying is trendy and like he always has done, he is riding the wave. Most of those hardcore gangster rappers are anything but. They spew nonsensicle jibberish to young people who are easily influenced by slick tounges and flashy styles claiming to have grown up in horrible conditions when the reality is quite the opposite. He's a fraud like any other entertainer and just as culpable.

posted on Aug, 1 2023 @ 06:37 AM
link   

The reason violent rap music was pushed on the black people was to sabotage them deliberately. I wasn't alive back then but I'm pretty sure Lyndon Johnson actually started the orchestrated takedown of black people. I recall reading that unemployment rates were much lower before his great society plan or whatever it was called along with divorce rates and everything else. Even black politicians in that era were speaking out against all the welfare programs viewing them as a way to push black people down and keep them down.

It is all orchestrated to destroy black people because.................drumroll...........Kanye is right and blacks are the true chosen people of God.
edit on 1-8-2023 by Ch1nch1lla because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2023 @ 12:15 PM
link   
At least Cube is openly skeptical of the jab, that's refreshing.

People grow up and change and I'm glad he's at least speaking out

posted on Aug, 2 2023 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

couldn't have said it better myself. also, if you actually listen to his music, he's one of the most woke gangsta rappers.

new topics

top topics

join