It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Revive 46,000-Year-Old Roundworms From Siberian Permafrost

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2023 @ 08:05 PM
link   

“We can say that they are alive, because they move, they eat bacteria on the culture plates, and they reproduce,” Philipp Schiffer, a co-author of the study and evolutionary biologist at the University of Cologne in Germany, tells the Washington Post’s Carolyn Y. Johnson.

“To have a complex and multicellular organism that can shut down and go into this state of suspended animation—for all extents and purposes appear dead... that’s mind-boggling,” says Thomas Boothby, a molecular biologist at the University of Wyoming who didn’t contribute to the research, to the Wall Street Journal’s Dominique Mosbergen.

Much more at link:
www.smithsonianmag.com...

I might have believed 100 years... even 500 years. But 46,000 years?

Now that really is crazy! I sure as heck hope they were in a secured biolab protected against airborne pathogens. That's the part that is troubling to me- that ancient pathogens become awakened and alive with the melting of the permafrost... These things were literally alive getting stomped on by woolly mammoths... Now that's just fricken insane!

posted on Jul, 28 2023 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Just because we can, doesn't mean we should.

This is just begging for trouble. Saying this, they're probably up to farrrr more than just this..

posted on Jul, 28 2023 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Joneselius

Well in all fairness, the permafrost is melting. And releasing a heck of a lot of methane, too. Unless they build some pretty big freezers, not sure there is any good solution to this- except perhaps the fast tracking of the 100 years worth of energy advancements that have been classified and hidden away in favor of big oil.

We are going to get exposed to ancient airborne pathogens. Things that our immune systems cannot cope with.

posted on Jul, 28 2023 @ 09:40 PM
link   
True that. However, I'm sure the scientists put some major effort into that endeavor and most likely the critters wouldn't have revived themselves. Although some things might, many won't. And I'll go ahead and blame most of the pandemics and illness/deaths right now on the US government and all the scientists in the world.

Scientists are responsible for:

Lysergic acid diethylamide (L. S. D.) and other hallucinogens
P.C.P
Mustard Gas
Barbiturates
Tranquilizers
Narcotics
Corona virus

Scientists Are Creating New, Incurable Diseases in Labs. Is that reasonable?

By Olga Khazan

Nakhon Pathom/Reuters
MAY 20, 2014

Swine flu, or H1N1, had been dead for 20 years when it suddenly re-emerged in 1977 with a curious twist. The new strain was genetically similar to one from the 1950s, almost as though it had been sitting frozen in a lab since then. Indeed, it eventually became clear that the late-70s flu outbreak was likely the result of a lowly lab worker’s snafu.

Lab accidents like that are extremely rare. Still, two scientists are now arguing that it’s not worth continuing to create new, transmissible versions of deadly viruses in labs because the risk that the diseases will escape and infect the public is too great.

The H5N1 avian flu killed two dozen people in Hong Kong in 1997. It has only killed about 400 people worldwide since then, though, because it doesn’t pass easily from human to human.

In recent years, scientists have found a way to make H5N1 jump between ferrets, the best animal model for flu viruses in humans. They say they need to create a transmissible version in order to better understand the disease and to prepare potential vaccines.

www.theatlantic.com...

It's all done in the name of 'protection' and 'better understanding' and getting a jump on another country beating us to the punch. Basically, the majority of the human population is a giant test subject for the pleasure of the crazies with all the money and all the power.

The US government on Tuesday lifted a ban on making lethal viruses, saying the research is necessary to “develop strategies and effective countermeasures against rapidly evolving pathogens that pose a threat to public health.” Dec 19, 2017

We really don't stand much of a chance and hopefully there will be some 'strongest' that naturally survive/adapt.

posted on Jul, 28 2023 @ 09:58 PM
link   
You know I support most acts of playing God and deranged, manic science, but this just feels like a bad idea.

posted on Jul, 28 2023 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Is this the best that Russia has to offer, roundworms? Ice age intestinal parasites? Science is in a dank and smelly place messing around with this. It makes my anus itch and twitch, maybe vodka will expel them.

posted on Jul, 28 2023 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican

I'd call this playing with fire to the extreme.

Haven't they ever seen the X Files Episode ICE??

posted on Jul, 28 2023 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Look like they've opened a can of worms with this one.

Sorry.

I'll let myself out.

posted on Jul, 28 2023 @ 11:20 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 29 2023 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Scientists Revive 46,000-Year-Old Roundworms From Siberian Permafrost

They poked em with a stick , didn't they ?
1st rule of surviving horror movies . Never poke it with a stick .

posted on Jul, 29 2023 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

Science is also responsible for:

Penicillin
Polio Vaccine
Smallpox Vaccine
Chickenpox Vaccine
Insulin
MRI
Xray
Ultrasound
Rhinoplasty
Discovery of DNA/RNA

Which have saved exponentially many more lives than what was on your list that took lives. Additionally, many things that science invents to benefit humanity, wind up being used irresponsibly or used to kill by the same humanity.

posted on Jul, 30 2023 @ 02:28 AM
link   
And.... it's pregnant.

originally posted by: TrueAmerican

“We can say that they are alive, because they move, they eat bacteria on the culture plates, and they reproduce,” Philipp Schiffer, a co-author of the study and evolutionary biologist at the University of Cologne in Germany, tells the Washington Post’s Carolyn Y. Johnson.

“To have a complex and multicellular organism that can shut down and go into this state of suspended animation—for all extents and purposes appear dead... that’s mind-boggling,” says Thomas Boothby, a molecular biologist at the University of Wyoming who didn’t contribute to the research, to the Wall Street Journal’s Dominique Mosbergen.

Much more at link:
www.smithsonianmag.com...

I might have believed 100 years... even 500 years. But 46,000 years?

Now that really is crazy! I sure as heck hope they were in a secured biolab protected against airborne pathogens. That's the part that is troubling to me- that ancient pathogens become awakened and alive with the melting of the permafrost... These things were literally alive getting stomped on by woolly mammoths... Now that's just fricken insane!

posted on Jul, 30 2023 @ 07:39 AM
link   
On reading your OP I became nostalgic for the days when ATS was all about researching the weird & wonderful, in addition to the conspiratorial. Now, thanks to the agents of the PLANDEMIC (& now those self same people are agents of the CLIMATE CRISIS), the WEF, Bill Gates, the WHO, the UN (etc) - everything we see & hear from any authority figures/ the media, is a depressing tirade against us as regular people, being told we can't eat meat, must pay a fortune to drive cars, must live in a 15 minute ghetto, not allowed to fly domestically (soon to be expanded to internationally). It's so #ing depressing, combined with all the lingering diabolical effects of the plandemic such as live birth drop off, increased rate of miscarriage, birth defects, continued excess deaths, vaccine injured being gaslit by the medical establishments of all nations, left to fend for themselves with severe neurological symptoms ruining their lives, and so on.

As a result, after watching an update from a UK doctor who has stood up for truth in the wake of the plandemic, I found myself, for the very first time ever, praying specifically last night "Maranatha, Lord Jesus, come quickly" to end this misery , in the knowledge that the world is broken almost beyond repair, and it will only get worse unless we see a Black Swan event (which may be on the cards if the Biblical Book of Daniel is to be believed). I sincerely hope we can find a solution, but otherwise, it's time to wrap it up, we're being led to a very dark place by the unelected 'leaders', the parasitic class formerly self-referenced as 'the elite'. God we need a miracle to get through this maelstrom of SH1T.

posted on Aug, 9 2023 @ 02:03 AM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

Until the blame China defense and then they will be for Corona/Covid?

:sigh:

All that needs to take place there is how do we kiln and cast the so called "cheap stuff" and recognize the very same as a mould for doing that so no one has to hear it any more.

Its gotten to the point that when I look at plastic and metal pliers I think home foundry as a future existent state instead of this is cheap or poorly made.

But when its good enough? Wabi-sabi

posted on Aug, 9 2023 @ 04:23 AM
link   

edit on 03/22/2022 by sarahvital because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join