It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WRONG! Air Force-funded White Paint Could Replace Air Conditioning

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 07:54 AM
link   
So I came across this article written by a guy who looks to score points with those in the know WEF, UN along with those elites who live in stone castles which I am sure provide excellent air conditioning properties. I never lived in an air conditioned home until 2002 as I was ordered by my doctor to install AC or expire. I have lived in AC since.

IMO as I was born in Buffalo, New York and now a South Carolina transplant this guys article is total bull sheep.

Air Force Funded White Paint Could Replace Air Conditioning

NO IT CANT!

First of all he states he just moved to the area. That could be true as I looked him up in the Eire County property tax records yet no one named Logan Nye exists.

Second of all Logan doesn't even have a clue as to how the weather works in Buffalo. I do and I will write this as an expert opinion. During the latter part of July into August annually, there is a period of hot and high humid air that will last around four weeks. That means if its 80 degrees outside with 60% humidity at 3:00PM it will be 80 degrees outside and 60% humidity throughout the entire night. Meaning you get NO relief as does the Southern climate in Southern states.

So without AC you either have to open the windows and have high speed fans while you sleep, eat and shower. Even after a shower you will get NO relief. You will sweat through your dress shirt and only find relief by the AC in your car. It is pure misery plane and simple.

As a boy I grew up in the suburbs in a new home 10 miles from downtown Buffalo. A home that was built without air conditioning. Our bedroom windows were open all night and we didn't have any type of fans. I slept in my underwear on top of the bed. Bottoms only. My room was across from a farmer who used to practice "green" ideology decades before it became fashionable. I can still smell those nights "fresh" air after he slung the pig, sheep, cow or horse sheep in his fields as top dressing. Meaning he didn't plow it into the soil. Then it was off to school. All schools had no AC

So no comes winter with 50 mph winds on a 5 degree day that lasts for another month usually from January into February, annually. So the paint drops the interior temperature by eight degrees as we use the suns energy to hear the home in Buffalo via siding, singes and windows.

Logan your out to lunch pal as ignorance is bliss. With the above comes extreme allergies, asthma and other respiratory conditions, many serious. HVAC was developed to make the unlivable livable. Back in the 1920s - 1950's most homes were built with high ceilings and had ceiling fans. That's how they kept cool.

So now we have advanced thinkers who flash "green" flyers. In actuality they are limited in their thoughts, knowledge and haven't thought it through. Many elected are obviously like that.

I also wonder if the push is to get rid of the obese as I am thin so the elimination of AC will cause more deaths sooner, rather than later, of the obese.

Logan can fluff off.

ndulge me for a moment. My wife and I recently bought a house in Buffalo, New York. And now, even in Buffalo, it's getting hot enough that we need air conditioning. That costs about $5,000, according to local searches and our first quotes, significantly more than the $30-40 per gallon it would cost to paint our roof with Purdue University's new paint.

Yes, paint. Purdue has been researching a paint that reflects and scatters most light energy, much, much more effectively than all other paint on the market, so much so that it makes buildings cooler than the outside air, in certain conditions by six to eight degrees Fahrenheit.

edit on 04 13 2023 by Waterglass because: typos

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I guess all that scattered heat has to go somewhere, like, um, the atmosphere? Without absorbing the heat, it's just adding it to the surrounding air. I'd call that anthropomorphic atmospheric heating.

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Waterglass

But it’s just an anecdotal example in a no name outlet.

It’s not like this is an article about proposed policy.

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 08:25 AM
link   
i live in nj-ny.

here is how it works. like you already know.

las vegas, this could work, because there is no humidity.

around here its ALL humidity levels.

during the summer or winter, if its humid,its hot.
in fact, you want humidity in the winter. if its humid, it will most likely be above 32 degrees.
in winter, the bad part is wind, wind chill is what hurts.
no wind, you can just wear a nice winter coat, and you are set.

during summer if it is humid, there is NO escape, except ac.

i am continually amazed at the level of retardati0n the internati0nal bannnkers throw our way.
they told people go ri0t and l00t and destr0y pr0perty in 2o2o over some krak head's death.
and the mini0ns did it.

thats the problem.
the p0liticians are ALL bought. well, 90% of them.

and then, the mini0ns do whatever ladygaga or lebr0n james tells them to do.
so if ladygaga tells her mini0ns to sweat while she is flying in her private plane in luxury...
the mini0ns will do it.

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 08:47 AM
link   
6-8 degrees would help but not get rid of the need for AC. If it caused my AC to run a few less times a day that would save quite a bit of money/energy in the long run.

The heat is reflected back to space as light which it came as not trapped as a gas.

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 09:23 AM
link   
If paint lowers the indoor temperature by 8 degrees, you need to add atic insulation and or atic ventilation. The white paint will only reduce the heating from the sunlight and not lower the air temperature.

And yes, humidity has a lot to do with it. That is why those toy swamp coolers don't work in most places.

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: GrandSchemeOfThings

Technically, the reflected light would just heat the air surrounding the structure a second time. It heated it once passing through to the structure and then again reflecting away from it. Meaning that the air around the structure is hotter than it needs to be. Enter thermal conduction, the structure is warmer than it needs to be. The reflected heat only makes it a few centimeters heating the atmosphere in that specific area before losing motive force due to energy loss. It literally creates a layer of heat surrounding the structure higher than the ambient temperature - exactly and precisely the opposite of the desired effect. Granted, it is better than painting the structure black, but in no way is a replacement for air conditioning. If the guy is so sure this will work, let him sit in a white car parked in the sun all day and then ask him again if he thinks his great idea will work....if he lives....

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 09:46 AM
link   
So we’re supposed to paint over our roof shingles?! Will that void the warranty on the roof? What will the paint do to the granules on the shingles?

Sounds a lot like the people sitting behind desks in offices, that are making rules about wood burners & chimneys!!! They have no clue! No real life experience.

WOQ

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Fun Stuff!
Watched this guy's video on making a nano-particle reflective paint last weekend. Was interested merely cause with all the hoopla around the Covid Vaccines was curious about just how easy it "might be" for anyone to make nano-particle anything at home in their kitchen.
Turns out reflective paints using this type of tech are now massively the rage.

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I am upstate ny also...not far from Buffalo...go Bruins! (Yeah, I said it)

I have learned to live without AC. I just use a fan in the house, open car windows, etc. I don't get sick.

I don't even sweat until close to 100.

I do think people fear global warming bc they ac house to ac car to ac work. So when they are in th heat, they can't deal with it.

My 2 bits.

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Correct but that how it begins. The MSM has also been reporting that AC like natural gas stoves is ba..................d

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: wasobservingquietly

When one lives in a castle the king cannot see how the Serfs eat, cloth or live. They just make new mandates

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Since humid air can hold more heat, why not use dehumidifiers?

Reflective paint reduces the amount of IR (felt as heat) transferred to the living space, while dehumidifiers reduce the amount of heat the air within the living space can absorb.

Result, living space "feels" cooler, while reducing the need for AC,...

Perhaps, in some cases, eliminating such need.

In ancient times homes and other buildings were constructed to take advantage of "natural ventilation" and cooling; low windows and doorways oriented toward the existing breeze, high ceilings, often with vents, to allow air to flow through the home due to natural convection. Even Teepees use this principle.

But as we became more and more dependent on AC, building design abandoned these ancient "green" solutions.
edit on 22-7-2023 by Mantiss2021 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 01:15 PM
link   

I live in south carolina and don't even own an air conditioner. Window fans are fine with me. So doing something like is suggested in the article would probably make a difference in my home.

Now if only there was a paint that would help me heat my home in the winter.

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel
a reply to: GrandSchemeOfThings

Technically, the reflected light would just heat the air surrounding the structure a second time. It heated it once passing through to the structure and then again reflecting away from it. Meaning that the air around the structure is hotter than it needs to be. Enter thermal conduction, the structure is warmer than it needs to be. The reflected heat only makes it a few centimeters heating the atmosphere in that specific area before losing motive force due to energy loss. It literally creates a layer of heat surrounding the structure higher than the ambient temperature - exactly and precisely the opposite of the desired effect. Granted, it is better than painting the structure black, but in no way is a replacement for air conditioning. If the guy is so sure this will work, let him sit in a white car parked in the sun all day and then ask him again if he thinks his great idea will work....if he lives....

Your explanation doesn't quite capture the full physics of the situation. In order to create a correct energy balance picture you have to consider both the wavelength of the light (incoming and outgoing) and the ability of a particular material to absorb the light at that wavelength.

The N2, O2, and Argon that make up 99+% of the atmosphere are basically transparent to both visible and IR light because their molecules don't have an electric dipole moment, so they don't absorb much energy directly from light, either incoming or outgoing.

The color temperature of the Sun is around 5780 K with most of the energy well into the visible part of the spectrum. The greenhouse gases CO2, H2O, and CH4 making up ≈ 1% of the atmosphere have dipole moments, but they just happen to also not absorb much electromagnetic radiation in the visible. That means that most of the sunlight energy in the visible part of the spectrum hitting the top of the atmosphere makes it to the surface (ignoring clouds, dust, etc.). So if you have a highly reflective surface at or near the surface it will reflect most of the visible energy back outward without heating the intervening air directly.

However, solid materials are a different story. Soil, metals, wood, rocks, etc. are all pretty good absorbers over all wavelengths and will absorb incoming visible wavelengths, thereby heating up. They typically come to an equilibrium temperature around 260 K. That temperature emits in the thermal IR part of the spectrum. Polar molecules like CO2, H2O, and CH4 are able to absorb IR quite readily and turn it into vibrational energy inside the molecule. When those molecules collide with other molecules of any kind in the air, they transfer some of that vibrational energy into kinetic energy. And that's what heat is in a gas--kinetic energy of the molecules.

In this case, the inventor claims that his super paint only absorbs about 2% of the incoming visible light which would heat up the roof material directly. That's compared to about 20% absorption for conventional white paint. So the super paint reduces the amount of heat absorbed directly into the roof structure by about a factor of 10. That would also reduce the amount of thermal IR emitted by the roof back up into the sky where it could be absorbed by greenhouse gases.

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: 1947boomer

Well said. However, roughly 30% of all visible light gets absorbed as heat. Radiation, convection and conduction all return that heat to the atmosphere. It is as I stated, the object creates a layer of heat around itself that is hotter than the ambient temp by heating and reheating the atmosphere closest to it. Energy seeks parity, in this case the point where there is no motive force for thermal exchange. Hot air moves around more than cold air. Air molecules bouncing around off of each other creating more heat and scrubbing energy. And so on.

So this guy says his paint will absorb less heat. Great. It will just be reflected and absorbed by something else. The net effect on that one structure may be noticeable, it may not. But it will still require air conditioning to be habitable. The surrounding structures, the ones who absorb the heat reflected from the one with the fancy paint, won't do as well.

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Boosting the titanium white in the paint or other metalic compounds can increase the charge on the paint and make the paint reflect heat either way by canceling out the flow of energy from high energy to low energy. It is the same principle of how heat ducts reflect heat or a mirror reflects the light from you to create an image of you on the glass. There have been paints that do this for years. White paint reflects what hits it and builds an energy barrior just off it's surface. Power lines build an energy field which reflects the power of the bare high voltage lines to an area around the wire and within the energy field circling it...the energy flows outside of the wire, not through it in high voltage bare lines.

They may have discovered a more efficient chemistry at a decent price to accomplish this recently. That kind of paint used to be about eighty bucks a gallon six years ago.

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

I live in The Midlands 20 miles West of Columbia. Its been 95 to 99 this week. We are on Lake Murray. You must be in the higher lands as I once lived near Seneca, SC and the climate is much cooler?

FYI our home is three levels and over 4500 sqft heated space. Our Dominion HVAC bill came in Friday @ $275. We have [2] Heat Pumps ~ 4 zones. One Pump with [3] zones is controlled by a Carrier electronic board that closes / opens duct dampers to draw cool air to hotter areas in other zones. The ground floor is also underground on three sides as its a walk out. IMO its the above along with good insulation as our HVAC bills are a joke as in cheap! We never heat or cool the Ground Floor!

This wee I had the thermostats set at 78 degrees as the HVAC cycled enough to keep indoor humidity at 46%. It is comfortable at that level. Never in my life would I think one could live like that!
edit on 04 13 2023 by Waterglass because: add

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Mantiss2021

You are so correct on all. In the home as a kid without air conditioning we basically lived in the basement during the summer as it was dehumidified by a dehumidifier. The basement was finished, had a bar, tv and pool table and a wood burning fireplace. Flooring was rug and tile.

Ancients had it all figured out

Based on your thoughts I remodeled our Master Bathroom in 2020. I designed the walk in shower to be 5' 6" x 6' 6" and ceiling is 9' . I intentionally sized the exhaust fan in the shower to the entire size of the bathroom. We never have any steam or moisture issues. The toilet has its own fan.

posted on Jul, 24 2023 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Yes, I live in the north west of sc but only for the last 2 years. I lived in florida for 39 years and still had no ac. Summers of 90+ and no ac. I'm just used to it I guess. I grew up without ac's because my family was just that poor. Maybe when I get older I will start to not be able to handle it. That's what happened to my mom. We moved away from florida because in her 60's she couldn't handle the heat any more.

And yeah it feels a lot cooler these 2 summers here than it ever did in florida. But man I can't take the winter yet. this last winter was hell for me. But I saw people walking around without coats.

I also think being small helps with the heat. I'm 5'6 130lb physical fit. I think I read somewhere that people my size can regulate heat better?

It's 80 degrees right now and I feel a bit cool.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join