It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It’s tax season in straya. Now the whingers are owing taxes, and complaining

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2023 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Ffs these whingers, have lodged their tax returns, and have a HECS debt, though have salary sacrifice fringe benefits to lower their taxable income, now have thousands in a tax bill as they did not contribute enough tax.

This is on you, I don’t want to hear your whinge, you tried to cheat the tax system, that’s on you.

I’m sick of these entitled wankers, who want want want.

www.news.com.au...

I just lodged my tax return, my refund is$57.00.
It is what it is.

posted on Jul, 15 2023 @ 03:18 AM
link   
a reply to: robsmith

Sad.

posted on Jul, 15 2023 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Are you upset that they know the tax code in Australia? If anything maybe you or others should strive to do the same.

posted on Jul, 15 2023 @ 04:07 AM
link   
people will always try to scam the tax offices..

the thing is its never the rich that get caught as governments never put any effort into that just in over taxing those at the bottom.. 5k or 10k the rich can spend on a handbag, a dress or single hotel room for the night.. for the rest of us it could be more than we have spare.. indeed it could be a lifetime of scraping together..

so no I don't blame them for being angry as the system is only setup to scr*w those as close to honest as you can be in any tax system, systems that never go after the real rich or close the loopholes they use..

posted on Jul, 15 2023 @ 04:14 AM
link   
As Aussies ourselves we pay the max tax we can so at least we can get a return. Also schooled my young ones who are working in that respect.

Nothing worse than owing the Tax dept.

Kind regards,

Bally)

posted on Jul, 15 2023 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Information is a tool.

People know that taxes are not going away, so they should learn how to live with them, by getting reliable information about how things work.

Although I work in a software company I also give IT support to an accounting company that, this year, filled more than 700 tax returns for their clients. Many of those clients are older people that do not know how to do it, but others are people that are well informed about taxes and prefer to rely on a professional service instead of risking making a costly mistake.

Some times that accounting company gets new clients because they (or some friend) did their tax return and ended up with an unexpected and unpleasant result, so they ask for professional help. In some cases it has been possible to present a second tax return correcting the first that results in less taxes being paid. In those cases, both were done correctly, but when we know which things the tax office allows and which it doesn't (or penalises), it's easy to present a tax return that is much better to the client.

In conclusion, learn how to do it or ask a professional, if the amounts involved are large enough it pays to get a professional to do it.

PS: it's interesting to see how many people complained about how much they have to pay but didn't mentioned how much they earned.

Edited to add that this year I have to pay 134 Euros (or something like that), while last year I paid more than 300 and the year before more than 500 (I had to ask to pay in three times). I don't have a big salary, but being single and with little expenses (my medications are highly subsidised) I have to pay taxes.

edit on 15/7/2023 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2023 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Seems a tax hike that hit the working and middle class. Or an expiring refund or whatever. Same thing.

I expect the authorities will ruthlessly peruse and prosecute these people. Meanwhile ignoring literal hundreds of millions in outright tax fraud by the wealthy.

The research found 15 per cent of Australians will be using their refund to pay for household bills,

Well, things aren't all sunny down in Aussieland it seems.

posted on Jul, 15 2023 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Dude. That tax return is a pack of durries or almost a case of piss.

You should be stoked

posted on Jul, 15 2023 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Retired state (US) tax agent here; with more than 20 years in service. My job was to resolve issues taxpayers, both individuals and businesses, had with their tax returns. I also spent a couple of years as a licensed tax preparer following my retirement. From "prosecutor" to "defender", so to speak.

95% of the tax law, in any country is written by the Wealthy (more specifically, by their financial representatives) with the intention of preserving as much of their wealth as possible, while providing just enough "public" funding (tax revenue) to insure that their interests (health, safety, security, order) are maintained.

Additionally, ever tax law that you might consider to be onerous, or extreme, is "on the books" because someone, at sometime, broke that law and caused someone Wealthy enough to expend the resources necessary to get that law passed.

Tax law is not some "Dark Magic", politicians are not inherently "evil".

Tax laws are put forth by the people who feel they have the most to loose, who take the time and effort to manage their attorneys, accountants, and CPA's, directing them to push for laws and regulations that favor their interests. These Wealthy folks actively seek out those politicians willing to listen, and laws get passed.

The rules are, literally, written down.

If you are in the game, it is on you to learn those rules....or lose by them.

Or you can be really smart, and learn how re-write them for yourselves, like the Wealthy do.

posted on Jul, 15 2023 @ 04:36 PM
link   
All the time I read that some govt org loses a billion here, several billion there, and so on. There never is an account for these lost funds - which after all are our collective funds. And strangely there is never a real public out cry to solve all of these missing funds or downright criminal abuse of govt giveaways.

If the govt were your spouse you would divorce it. But since they pretend to protect all of us, we cower beneath them hoping that we will always be ok in their sight.

Another oddity about govt is it seems alot of elected officials somehow seem to become millionaires on that limited govt payroll. Somehow this is fishy to no one - or not fishy enough to do something about it.

And we cannot have a flat tax because then there wouldnt be any hidey holes for the "educated on taxation" people to hide their fortunes.

posted on Jul, 15 2023 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: bally001

Though what these people are upset about is the salary sacrifice to monimise their tax.

Say they earns gross 90 thousand, and they salary sacrificed a tax free amount of 40 thousand.

When they lodge their tax return, the tax offices stance is you earnt 90k gross, not 50k.

So the university school debt is calculated on 90k as this is what you earnt.

Fair enough.

Why should other taxpayers cover your debt.

posted on Jul, 15 2023 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Dalamax

It’s pretty crap, though I have no allowable deductions

new topics

top topics

join