It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3 decomposed bodies found at remote campsite

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2023 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Full title: 3 decomposed bodies found at remote campsite in Gunnison County

This story comes from the Great White North but occurs in Colorado. It sounds strange because of the mummified condition of the bodies. Makes me think it could be from way back, like late 19th to early 20th century. I'm not sure of the area or the climate, but Colorado isn't known for mummies like Egypt or Peru.

The initial discovery was made by a hiker not far from the Gold Creek Campground. That's in an eastern section of Gunnison County. The hiker found one of the bodies on Sunday and reported it to authorities. Responding deputies then found two more bodies there early Monday morning. The bodies were all in a somewhat mummified state.
"It appeared the individuals have been deceased for a substantial period of time," the Gunnison County Sheriff's Office wrote in a statement released on Wednesday.

www.cbsnews.com...

Not much else except they are not identified and don't fit any missing persons reports. I find it even stranger that they could find bodies in that condition for so long in a remote area, with all the hungry critters like bears, wolves, coyotes, etc.
edit on 13-7-2023 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Corrections

posted on Jul, 13 2023 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Here is more details from Epoch Times from the original AP story. The bodies are from late last year, so no lost prospectors from the 1800s. Also, it was near Colorado Springs, not so remote apprently.

DENVER—The badly decomposing bodies of three people were found in a remote Rocky Mountains camp in Colorado, and they may have been lying there since late last year, authorities said. A hiker discovered one of the bodies late Sunday and notified the authorities, who found the other two after arriving at the campsite Monday, Gunnison County Sheriff Adam Murdie said. Two of the bodies were inside a small, zipped-up tent and the other was outside in the camp, which was in a remote wooded area where hikers typically wouldn’t pass by, he said.

I have been finding that the more liberal publications like the CBC where I found the story first are lacking in accuracy and citing sources than the more moderate or conservative sources are. The AP was the original source apparently, and I actually consider them to be left-leaning, but they have some respect for journalism it seems.
edit on 13-7-2023 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Corrections

posted on Jul, 13 2023 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck
Hey neighbor...everytime I get to the Huron Nat Forest...I'm remembering this. After "captured on trail cameras" YT monsters etc...I'm more than hesitant now for over-nights!

Comin' your way sorta..the 3 Waterfalls Trail...but now...?

Geez...and I'm always, always armed, and that may not be enough anymore. A lot of horror stories along the Appalachian Trail too.

Stay good up there MSB😎✌️

posted on Jul, 13 2023 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck
Here is more details from Epoch Times from the original AP story. The bodies are from late last year, so no lost prospectors from the 1800s. Also, it was near Colorado Springs, not so remote apprently.

DENVER—The badly decomposing bodies of three people were found in a remote Rocky Mountains camp in Colorado, and they may have been lying there since late last year, authorities said. A hiker discovered one of the bodies late Sunday and notified the authorities, who found the other two after arriving at the campsite Monday, Gunnison County Sheriff Adam Murdie said. Two of the bodies were inside a small, zipped-up tent and the other was outside in the camp, which was in a remote wooded area where hikers typically wouldn’t pass by, he said.

I have been finding that the more liberal publications like the CBC where I found the story first are lacking in accuracy and citing sources than the more moderate or conservative sources are. The AP was the original source apparently, and I actually consider them to be left-leaning, but they have some respect for journalism it seems.

Found this in the Gazette, yea it was fairly remote, they said it looks like they dies from malnutrition

gazette.com... l

Three heavily decomposed bodies have been found near a remote Colorado campground, likely having been there since the winter season.

"Preliminarily, I suspect the three died of malnutrition (and/or) exposure sometime during the winter," Barnes said in an email to The Gazette.

Barnes said he expects to complete autopsies on Thursday, and is finalizing the identities of the deceased.

Gold Creek Campground, found on Gunnison County Road 771, is listed on the U.S. Forest Service website as "closed due to inaccessibility." It's located next to the southeastern boundary of the Fossil Ridge Wilderness Area, near Fairview Peak and Fossil Ridge in Gunnison National Forest.

While it's mostly small towns and rural development in the immediate vicinity, Gunnison is about 20 miles southwest of the site.

Doesn't it suck that a person now reads our newswire services, like AP and Reuters with a skeptical eye? I do too.
I hardly believe a story fully till I've read 2 or 3 sources anymore. Don't trust any of them. Sometimes a local newspaper or TV station is better than any other, in the Alabama shooting, there was a reporter from Montgomery and she was on top of it, must have lived close by, and was extremely quick. She accurately covered all the details and had no slant or spin. I still follow her on Facebook, and I don't ever do that chit.

posted on Jul, 13 2023 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

This is reminiscent of the family and their dog who was found dead a few years back while camping. No foul play was suspected but it was really odd how the two adults, a child and a dog were found deceased. I think it was blamed on an algae bloom at a water sourced but to me that was always just a weak sounding reason.

posted on Jul, 13 2023 @ 09:52 AM
link   
What stories correct? They were either mummified or badly decomposed, they can't be both. As mummified and decomposed are like chalk and cheese.

posted on Jul, 13 2023 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Well, I guess it was pretty remote then. I too will be looking for at least three sources as well. I've been using news feeds and still getting the hang of it, but I should be able to find three different articles on any given subject. I have put local stations from the closest big cities in my feeds and I agree with that as well, that local news will often have more details and are more accurate reports.
edit on 13-7-2023 by MichiganSwampBuck because: for clarity

posted on Jul, 13 2023 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
What stories correct? They were either mummified or badly decomposed, they can't be both. As mummified and decomposed are like chalk and cheese.

Yes, I'd say the decomposed version was more accurate than the CBC mummified version which had the least accuracy and lacked many details. Hench the idea that cross-checking three different articles should help determine accuracy, maybe.
edit on 13-7-2023 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Typo

posted on Jul, 13 2023 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Well, I guess it was pretty remote then. I too will be looking for at least three sources as well. I've been using news feeds and still getting the hang of it, but I should be able to find three different articles on any given subject. I have put local stations from the closest big cities in my feeds and I agree with that as well, that local news will often have more details and are more accurate reports.

Yea, but who has time for that on every story... hell I can't do it on the big news stories.

Just a sign of the times when you can't trust our own news sources, there's something more wrong with our country than the government.

I do use All Sides but it's delayed a bit and obviously can't cover every story, but it's amazing the differences in certain sources. I mean basic journalism who, what, where, when and why

www.allsides.com...

posted on Jul, 13 2023 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I used to live in Gunnison. Been camping all of those places, it's not really near Colorado Springs at all. My brothers and I would go out to Hartman's Rock to camp most times though, just a tradition. Also enjoyed several camping trips out to the back of Crested Butte, or near Gothic. But did go Gold Creek once I believe when I was around 15 or 16. That place is remote. And unless you are trained, you can get lost real easy, real easy. I wonder if they got lost.

posted on Jul, 13 2023 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

Yea, but who has time for that on every story... hell I can't do it on the big news stories.

Just a sign of the times when you can't trust our own news sources, there's something more wrong with our country than the government.

I do use All Sides but it's delayed a bit and obviously can't cover every story, but it's amazing the differences in certain sources. I mean basic journalism who, what, where, when and why

www.allsides.com...

Have to agree with you. When I was in school I enjoyed writing and took journalism, we were taught to be precise, and accurate, with reliable sources, and concise details, no adding fluff or opinion, or distorting the facts to fit our beliefs or narratives. I wonder what they teach they days.

I wrote a piece of drugs being sold in the school parking lot by students and the Principle wouldn't allow the paper to print the article. The journalism teacher protested, and ended up resigning, actually retiring over the matter. I didn't realize all the fuss that was going to be raised writing that story. That's my journalism career.

posted on Jul, 14 2023 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: randomuser

www.allsides.com...

Have to agree with you. When I was in school I enjoyed writing and took journalism, we were taught to be precise, and accurate, with reliable sources, and concise details, no adding fluff or opinion, or distorting the facts to fit our beliefs or narratives. I wonder what they teach they days.

I wrote a piece of drugs being sold in the school parking lot by students and the Principle wouldn't allow the paper to print the article. The journalism teacher protested, and ended up resigning, actually retiring over the matter. I didn't realize all the fuss that was going to be raised writing that story. That's my journalism career.

Got to ask how long ago was that? major props to the teacher.

I remember when it didn't matter what party the President or politicians were, they got asked tough questions, were expected to give forthright answers and usually, if they didn't they would suffer a bit for it.

That's what journalism is supposed to be about, the original "Fourth Estate". At some point in our history, they were supposed to be the watchdogs over everybody else and support the common man. I'm not sure they ever got that far, but as it is now they seem outright owned, and certainly on most fronts push an agenda.

posted on Jul, 14 2023 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: randomuser

www.allsides.com...

Got to ask how long ago was that? major props to the teacher.

I remember when it didn't matter what party the President or politicians were, they got asked tough questions, were expected to give forthright answers and usually, if they didn't they would suffer a bit for it.

That's what journalism is supposed to be about, the original "Fourth Estate". At some point in our history, they were supposed to be the watchdogs over everybody else and support the common man. I'm not sure they ever got that far, but as it is now they seem outright owned, and certainly on most fronts push an agenda.

Back in '95 if I recall correctly.

new topics

top topics

join