It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RSS News Feeds - Get the News you want Now

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2023 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Like I have posted in a few threads here and elsewhere, I've been playing with a RSS News Feed Service and blasting my brain with a # ton of articles from websites I frequent along with others I may not look at much. Below is a Wikipedia article on the subject . . .

RSS (RDF Site Summary or Really Simple Syndication)[2] is a web feed[3] that allows users and applications to access updates to websites in a standardized, computer-readable format. Subscribing to RSS feeds can allow a user to keep track of many different websites in a single news aggregator, which constantly monitor sites for new content, removing the need for the user to manually check them. News aggregators (or "RSS readers") can be built into a browser, installed on a desktop computer, or installed on a mobile device. Websites usually use RSS feeds to publish frequently updated information, such as blog entries, news headlines, episodes of audio and video series, or for distributing podcasts. An RSS document (called "feed", "web feed",[4] or "channel") includes full or summarized text, and metadata, like publishing date and author's name. RSS formats are specified using a generic XML file.

So, a news feed app is a personalized and customizable news aggregator. You can put websites into categories and filter the results to show most recent and most popular articles or based on the subject matter and to show only articles you haven't looked at. Also you can store articles you have an interest in for later use.

Most RSS Feeds are free from the websites, but others don't have a feed or you must have a paid subscription, not too many are like that. The news feed app you use to aggregate the news you are looking for will limit it's abilities in their free versions. The one I use, "Feedly" seemed pretty good from the reviews I read, but it is fairly limited, Here is a link . . .

feedly.com...

I find, when I view the feed as a list of titles, it is much like a chat forum, like here, except all you get is a summary of the articles and a link to them. You don't get anyone putting in their two cents or have any trolls trying to derail or bait you, just the information you are looking for. Otherwise, you can get a more detailed view with a picture and what not, sort of like how you view files in windows file explorer by list, small icon, large icon, etc.

With the proper tweaking, you can get pretty specific and narrow it down to pretty much the subject matter you are looking for without too much browsing or you can look at all the categories at once and blast yourself at full volume until your brain melts.

I feel that once the members here find a news feed app they like and have the parameters set for their personal use, it will keep the threads and posts rolling at full speed here and improve participation as well as the quality of posts. I know that's what it will do for me unless my brain explodes from the input.
edit on 9-7-2023 by MichiganSwampBuck because: for clarity

posted on Jul, 9 2023 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Been using that for years. Very useful if you are on low bandwidth/slow internet as there's no publicity. Added bonus: RT which is censored in my part of the "free" West can be read through Feedly and RT don't just put headlines and blurbs but the full articles in the feed.

posted on Jul, 9 2023 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: MindBodySpiritComplex

Thanks, I forgot about RT.

ETA: Just tried to pick up the RT feed and I couldn't find it, although on the website they have a news app that may be their news feed.
edit on 9-7-2023 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added extra comments

posted on Jul, 9 2023 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

Huh, just tried it myself and indeed Feedly now claims they can't find them. I still get their feed through Feedly though as I seem to have added them before they got scrubbed from the search. In any case TASS hasn't been censored yet and is good for getting an idea of Russia's official take on events.

posted on Jul, 9 2023 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Well, well, well, I can get news feeds from my favorite forums like ATS, all but one forum I go to has the feature.

I am loving this new superpower!

I AM INFO-MAN! Boo Hah, hah, hah, hah, haaahhh!

posted on Jul, 9 2023 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

Thanks, great resource.

posted on Jul, 9 2023 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Something I have been finding interesting is comparing conservative reports with liberal ones, national reports with local ones, and reports for the U.S. compared with other countries, esp the ones that don't like us.

posted on Jul, 28 2023 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Check out Newsboat. It's amazing.

top topics

join