It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deny or Sponsor Ignorance?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2023 @ 05:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Iamonlyhuman

Exactly! If you can't defend against an idea you disagree with, that's a teachable moment. You have study to do.

posted on Jul, 9 2023 @ 07:07 AM
link   
a reply to: oddscreenname

Thank you for expanding/explaining for me.

If you have a topic and can present it without breaking the agreed upon T&C, regardless the topic itself, it should be allowed to be discussed regardless of feels. "Respect and tolerance" too often gets used as an excuse to forbid topics. Topics shouldn't be forbidden but they should be thought out and well defended if you're going to present them. That goes for flat earth, "budlight", or getting psychic powers at five.

Beautifully said -- I agree completely!

posted on Jul, 10 2023 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Boards of got much better of late.

Not sure if this is a result of the MSM alien uptick or new owners. But there is less political action and more alien action.

This is good.

posted on Jul, 11 2023 @ 12:29 AM
link   
a reply to: oddscreenname

Your question is weird... But
Your question seems to touch upon the very core of free speech, open discussions, and ethical guidelines. It's important to understand that freedom of speech and open discussions do not equate to an endorsement of every viewpoint shared. While it's critical to allow a variety of perspectives to be presented and heard, there is a line between exploring different viewpoints and promoting harmful or unethical ideologies.

To consider your specific examples:

1. A "tasteful Holocaust number examination thread" could be problematic depending on the angle. The Holocaust is a well-documented historical event with an extensive body of evidence supporting the facts, including the number of victims. Revisionist theories that aim to minimize or deny the scale and impact of the Holocaust are widely considered unethical and harmful, as they often serve to perpetuate anti-Semitic sentiments and misinformation. Such discussions would likely be against forum rules and societal ethical norms.

2. In terms of AI programs deeming something unethical or misinformation, it's worth noting that AI, as of my knowledge cutoff in 2021, is not capable of making ethical judgments in the same way humans do. AI can analyze data and patterns but does not have moral or ethical consciousness. So, relying solely on AI to determine the ethics or truthfulness of a discussion could be fraught with difficulties.

In essence, yes, open discussions should be encouraged, but they should always be grounded in respect, factual accuracy, and a consideration for the potential harm they may cause. Discussions that promote hate, spread misinformation, or perpetuate harmful ideologies are usually not considered ethical or appropriate in most spaces, regardless of how "tastefully" they are presented.

posted on Jul, 11 2023 @ 12:30 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

This response was spoken.
Am I correct?

posted on Jul, 11 2023 @ 06:19 AM
link   
a reply to: briantaylor

Spaked indeed.

posted on Jul, 24 2023 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: briantaylor

Revisionist theories that aim to minimize or deny the scale and impact of the Holocaust are widely considered unethical and harmful,

But no mention of the reverse; theories that soon to maximize our increase the scale...

Your can't have factual accuracy and respect. Those two do not mutually coexist. If I were to say a group makes up 17% of the population but 50% of the crime then hand you stats after stats, is that still respectful? Or it's that something we need to stop looking at?

posted on Jul, 24 2023 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I agree that things have changed. I considered ATS my (church) of sorts then something changed so quickly, I mean I participated on the ATS shows, and we even did a spin-off called Reality Remix. This was my home, and I felt safe here.Instead of examining it, I just got angry, and saw myself writing posts about how this was turning into something that wasn't about mutual conversations and topics.

So. I left, I cant really remember the last time I was here. I figured I had a very life changing even recently, and figured instead of being angry about what I see. Maybe I can just contribute more to the topics I like, and if someone wants to join in, well the more the merrier.

Long story short, this is a great thread, and hopefully this is me slowly coming back to ATS.

Peace, NRE

posted on Aug, 21 2023 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Just checking in on an old thread that still raises a valid point.

I'm still here, everything I've said is still here. I'll stand by my words and die on that hill.

Will you? Because your ignorance is showing and I'm going to wave it in your face, forever...

Just cuz it's the right thing to do

top topics

<< 1   >>

join