It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How or Where Can I Set Up a Collaborative Writing Space?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2023 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I'm asking the great minds of ATS to help me figure this out.

I need a private space for a few people -- in different locations and at different times -- to collaborate/contribute in creating a document. All persons would work independently, adding to the document as they complete their parts. It would be an ongoing endeavor with no foreseeable end, but would rather expand and evolve with time.

It would not necessarily need to be online or a website per se. It could probably be done with Microsoft Word, but not everyone has Microsoft Word. Is this something that could be done with Microsoft 360? I'm barely familiar with MS 360... I've never used it because I bought my own Microsoft Office Suite software.

I suppose it could be done on a blogging site like WordPress, or something like SubStack, but I'm barely familiar with those as well.

Does anyone know of an easy way to do this? Any software or web hosting site that would fit these needs?

Your wisdom and experience is greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!!!

posted on Jun, 28 2023 @ 09:21 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Collaborative Writing forum

posted on Jun, 28 2023 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: asabuvsobelow

LOL! I was just denied permission to post in there!!!

I'm thinking that's just for ATS "writers" and I don't even know how to get that designation. I assume it's linked to the short story contests and I've never participated in those.

posted on Jun, 28 2023 @ 09:28 PM
link   

LOLing at myself -- I just noticed you have the "writer" designation!

So do tell? What's the secret???

posted on Jun, 28 2023 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Oh mate my bad I did not realize that was a prerequisite.

Yeah just enter in a short story contest and win one of the top spots .

posted on Jun, 28 2023 @ 09:52 PM
link   

No worries!

It seems a case of great minds think alike... we both thought of that forum first... we just didn't know the rules.

Maybe I'll enter one of the short story contests one day. If I can think of something to write. Usually I see the topic and I've just got nothing!

posted on Jun, 28 2023 @ 09:58 PM
link   

I believe Google docs can be shared with edit options. It is Google though. I wouldn't call it private, but it's not public. It can also be accessed from almost any device.

I don't like it that much, but it was the only easy way I could find to involve others without anybody having to do much.

posted on Jun, 28 2023 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Ksihkehe

Thank you -- I didn't even think of Google docs. D'oh! I know what you mean about not private but not public... much like MS' 360. Which is why I had to purchase my own software rather than subscribe. My work was confidential by law, so I had to be able to work independent of the internet. Completely offline. I'll keep Google docs in mind, but I'm hoping for something we can keep completely private. It's important that everyone can speak freely.

So you've been in my spot already I guess. There doesn't seem to be many good options, eh?

ETA: I'll let you know what I figure out in the end. Maybe I can find something better for both of us!

edit on 28-6-2023 by Boadicea because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2023 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Google docs work with multiple users. Any additions can be scanned by owner of the document to see what changes have been made and by whom. Never used it though.

posted on Jun, 29 2023 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Google docs

posted on Jun, 29 2023 @ 02:26 AM
link   
a reply to: glend
a reply to: jarsue97

Thank you! Google docs does seem to be just what I need, along with Microsoft 365. I'm sure not finding anything else. Lots of software programs for businesses/organizations and their employees to collaborate, but not for private parties.

So I'll suggest both and see what others prefer...

posted on Jun, 29 2023 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Also look at Zoho Docs. Its free for up to 5 users.

posted on Jun, 29 2023 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Sent you a PM.

posted on Jun, 29 2023 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Hi Boadicea, I think Google docs is the most globally accepted option, even though getting the permissions right can be complicated.

I found a comparative list that also mentions M$ Word online which is free and a very simple platform called Etherpad, where you host the documents rather than a cloud based resource.

There are others, but I don't have experience with them.

Anyway, here is the list:
www.becomeawritertoday.com...

I would avoid using ATS to host ongoing work, especially long-term. The site is in evolution and the future is uncertain, also check out the discussion about ownership of material posted here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 29/6/2023 by Encia22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2023 @ 08:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: glend

Also look at Zoho Docs. Its free for up to 5 users.

Thank you! I have not heard of Zoho Docs. Five users should work for now, and I like the "free" part. Microsoft 365 is for individuals, but for multiple users (the family plan) it will cost a subscription. I'd rather avoid that if I can.

I'll definitely check it out!

posted on Jun, 29 2023 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Encia22

This is all great information. Very helpful! I'll check it all out too.

Especially about ATS and ownership of work. It's not my ownership to give away, so that's very important to know.

Thank you!

posted on Jun, 29 2023 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Encia22

Anyway, here is the list:
www.becomeawritertoday.com...

This is a great resource -- thank you!

I've just been checking it out. Lots of options and flexibility there. I think I'm partial to Microsoft Word, just because I've always worked on Word so I know it like the back of my hand. I had no idea they had a free collaborative program though. I know at least one other works with Word too, so that may be the best choice for us.

Thank you again!

posted on Jun, 29 2023 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom

Sent you a PM.

Got it -- thank you!

Sent one back.

posted on Jun, 29 2023 @ 10:37 AM
link   

You're welcome, glad it helped.

If you need to have group chats with your collaborators, I would suggest Discord. You can setup a public or private server and create private chat rooms within the main channel/server. Works from PC and mobile.

Here's how to get started and how to make a private server:

www.ionos.com...

support.discord.com...

This combined with Word Online and you should be able to cover all the collaborative angles.

edit on 29/6/2023 by Encia22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2023 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Incoming PM from me, too.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join