It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Accidentally got a new dog

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+33 more 
posted on Jun, 22 2023 @ 12:55 PM
link   
We have 2 dogs. A Brindle Mountain Cur named Samson and a Beagle named Coco. They grew up together and are inseparable. Yesterday afternoon, my wife was taking Samson out to Tractor Supply to give him a bath. They have a dog washing set up with the deep tub and sprayer with a long hose that makes it much easier than doing it at home.....and he gets Dairy Queen ice cream after, so he knows what's going on and jumps in the car, no problem.

My wife was about 2 miles from the house and saw a medium size dog limping along the road and stops. He's matted, dirty, skinny, panting like a freight train from the heat and he's hurt. A huge chunk out of his left front leg and chest injuries. So, of course she loads him up in the car and calls the Vet to get him looked at, but they were closed and we had to wait till this morning.
He drank 2 big bowls of water as soon as we gave it to him and ate a bowl of canned food mixed with dry. Then he settled down and just went to sleep. I think he knows he's in good hands, in a place nice and cool and could finally get some rest. We went to Wal Mart and got some spray Peroxide so we wouldn't have to actually touch his wounds. I figured he was in enough pain without us scrubbing on already injured tissue and the Vet will sedate him to clean them out properly.
Sweetest dog you can imagine. Even though he was in pain he never growled or snapped when we picked him up and just had that "Help me" look in his eyes.

Took him to the Vet this morning and he's pretty banged up. They don't think anything is broken, but they're going to do x rays just to make sure, then sedate him, shave the areas and clean the wounds. We can go pick him up tomorrow.

He's a Border Collie about 2 - 3 years old and it is my wish that whoever dumped him and also whoever hit him and didn't stop to help, can both rot in Hell.

And that's the story of how I got a new dog.

posted on Jun, 22 2023 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Good on ya for helping the poor boy out. He’ll be a fiercely loyal companion after it.

It’s always been incredible to me how stoic dogs are when they’re bad off though. As strangers you did some first aid that I imagine was uncomfortable, which many animals would question the intent of. But dogs are just so perceptive, and I’m sure he knew it was in good nature.
edit on 22-6-2023 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2023 @ 01:14 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 22 2023 @ 01:22 PM
link   

this is Rufus. He went romping in the woods and came back with two puncture wounds. Still no clue how he got them. $800 later the vet gives him stiches. rather than do the horrible cone of shame, we tried the "recovery suit" which is like pajamas for a dog. Well, just no. He chewed through them so he could lick his wounds all #ing day long.

So I had to take him back, get the cone, and he needed it until tomorrow morning. Well, as you can see by the picture, he's done with it today. So I set him free of the cone and he's now licking them anytime I'm not looking, and sometimes when I am. I have to assume he will live through this, he has his little "fren" Bo to look after. Bo is a chihuahua-dachshund mix. Or a cha-weenie. Both are great dogs, but I thought I would give your new dog a picture of another one having to deal with the "cone of shame", he won't feel so bad.

It sounds like he hit the lottery and found the right home. Almost as if that's where he was supposed to end up.

posted on Jun, 22 2023 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Damn, I got a soft spot for dogs but especially Border Collies they are so intelligent, did they check for a chip?

posted on Jun, 22 2023 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

No chip. Somebody just dumped him out in the country.

I like animals. I tolerate people......barely.

posted on Jun, 22 2023 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Deer maybe ? Run across a buck in a bad mood ?

posted on Jun, 22 2023 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Often animals adopt us. Usually the strongest bonds under such circumstances.

posted on Jun, 22 2023 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
a reply to: putnam6

No chip. Somebody just dumped him out in the country.

I like animals. I tolerate people......barely.

I didn't have a fenced yard so would let my Sheltie out on a chain before bedtime. She disappeared one night and I spent many hours searching for her.

Two weeks later she showed up-pads raw, lots of weight loss. I'm pretty sure the neighbor who called the cops every time she barked took her and dumped her.

Not saying that the case here, but it does happen.

posted on Jun, 22 2023 @ 03:01 PM
link   

that would fit with the wounds. But just glad he wasn't shot. that was my first fear when I saw him. He is the most loving dog I have ever known. I doubt I could make him bite anyone if I tried.

posted on Jun, 22 2023 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Often animals adopt us. Usually the strongest bonds under such circumstances.

we drove about 6 hours to get him, and there was almost a full litter there. All the other dogs were scared and stayed back, but he came up to us to play. So yea, he picked us out.

posted on Jun, 22 2023 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Logged back in just to give you a star.

posted on Jun, 22 2023 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Not an accident!
You and your wife were meant to be his new family! And how awesome you are for choosing to do that!

@ Network Dude. I would bet he will heal just fine. Our boxer tore herself on a bolt, on her ribs. They couldn't even put stitches in, because of were it was. She healed up nicely, just no hair growing back on that spot. The cone of shame is hard to have on them, as I was either laughing, or crying whenever she would try to do something. (I couldn't handle her hitting the doorways with it, felt so bad, but trying to get her ball? Sorry, but I chuckled out loud, then felt bad!)

Love his eyes!

posted on Jun, 22 2023 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Also, there is a spray wound healer you can get from TSC, Vetisin(sp) that works great. Vet recommend it, so we keep some on hand, in case we can't get to the vet right away, and it cleans the would as well.
Good for all animals like cats and horses too.

posted on Jun, 22 2023 @ 05:37 PM
link   

A ne'er-do-well left our village and abandoned his dog. She came around and we fed her. Now, she follows me everywhere. Trail rides on my mule, she's at my side. Walking, she's there. Tries to keep up with my motorcycle. Won't stay in the bed of my pickup, but will follow it all around the village.

People ask if she's my dog; I always say, No, I'm her people.

Kudos for caring! This gal has shifted my attitude toward dogs.

:

edit on 2023 6 22 by incoserv because: typos.

posted on Jun, 22 2023 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

Thank you ! Tractor Supply carries it, so I ran out and got some.

posted on Jun, 22 2023 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

I just got mine out of the cone of shame. She was in for 2 weeks. And it was extra long. She got an infection in her tail from either a foxtail or a flea bite. She was chewing at it and it wouldn't heal. It went from a hot spot to a very painful mess overnight. Vet recommended we just amputate the few inches from the infection down. I understand now why some breed standards call for docked tail. I never saw a minor injury get so serious so fast. Vet said tails can do that, and that dogs will try to chew off the bad part of the tail, to success if they aren't watched carefully and kept in a cone.

Being a herding dog, half Border Collie, half Cattle Dog, she herds me with the cone. The back of my legs are all banged up. If I speed up, she speeds up... I'm running down the hall trying to keep from getting mowed down.

She learned how to dig a bigger better hole using it like a scoop. I couldn't figure out how she would go outside to do her business and come back in with the inside of the cone all muddy So I watched her, after she was finished she went over and started up again, working on a really good hole.

She just barreled into furniture and knocked stuff over and didn't let that lampshade slow her down a bit.

Longest 2 weeks of our lives.

posted on Jun, 22 2023 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Good on ya, people up here in the great white north have been abandoning their dogs so fast the shelters have had to close their drop off capability because they are maxed out on space.

People piss me off so much, dont get a bloody dog if your not going to put some effort and love into them.

Soon as our home purchase goes through already told the wife we are going to the local shelter to adopt 2 to join our pack.

posted on Jun, 23 2023 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Nice workd, @DAVID64. The world needs more people like you

posted on Jun, 23 2023 @ 09:26 AM
link   

can both rot in Hell

You are a good family. Yes, those others can go rot in hell as they are filth.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join