It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sleeping (or trying to ) during extreme stormy weather , with anxiety

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2023 @ 10:10 AM
link   
So yes, last night it was rather stormy weather here. The usual heavy rain, loud repeated mulitple thunder strikes non-stop , and the constant fear of 'what if it develops into a tornado ' ?

There was a similar storm here a few days ago , and then I got an 'imminent danger, extreme alert ! get to saftey now, into a basement , get indoors etc' warning on my phone at 7 am (while still asleep and it was dark outside , fun!! ).
Waking up to a panic attack and there's nothing I can do to really do much as there is no basement or anywhere really safe to get to.

How do I try to cope with this anxiety ? Last night I woke up at 5 am , and the storm didn't really lessen till 7.30 ish.
I am a light sleeper off course , I have to be, as I have to deal with whatever comes up first by myself , and watch out for my son.
This just makes me have more anxiety , sleep even lighter and this will be like this for the next few months at least.

Ugh , I hate florida.
I'm in Alachua county if it matters (gainesville ).

Any ideas , advice ?
I know , I've lived here more than 20 years and there's never been a tornado near my home, though one time I heard one pass a distance away (terryfing itself as you don' tknow how far/near it is )

posted on Jun, 20 2023 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: ancientlight

I have been in a few tornadoes in my life.
Always remain calm, because the moment you panic you will forget to shield yourself.
Something I do is keep a pair of earbuds in my bathroom to drown out the whistle sound and so I can keep an ear on my phone through the loudness.
As long as you are aware you should be just fine.

I was in a cave one time during a tornado and had to tie myself down and keep oxygen on while it hit us.
Thank you park ranger for the help in that situation.

Also do your best to keep your main bathroom clear of as much crap as possible. Last thing you want are tiny projectiles around ya.
edit on 2/19/2013 by Allaroundyou because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2023 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I became paranoid with high anxiety and had panic attacks a couple of weeks ago due to a cold with a persistent low-grade fever. I became fearful of nightfall not only because of the sun setting, but because I couldn't sleep. I was irritated by everything as well, things like the AC fan, the TV, the computer screen, etc. I was losing my mind basically and ended up pacing back and forth with all the lights on. I went outside to walk and couldn't get past the lighted area from the porch light while pacing outside.

I could get a few hours of sleep in the recliner chair, but I was always afraid of having nightmares and couldn't sleep long. I didn't even want to take cold medicine as I thought it could make things worse. I thought of going to ER, but that seemed like a waste of time that would get me into a mental hospital.

Eventually, after a week of this, I broke the fever and began to come out of it, but it was rough when I felt like the whole world I have lived in for my whole life was "wrong". I looked like complete hell with pale skin and deep dark circles around my eyes. It's only been about a week since I have been able to sleep in my bed for more than an hour or so. I feel normal now and have shaken the paranoid delusions that were plaguing me. If I had something like this regularly, I'd eventually kill myself or beg to be drugged into unconsciousness.

I'm not trying to make you feel worse, but I believe I can feel your pain and have sympathy for your phobia. Good luck and I hope you find something that helps you.
edit on 20-6-2023 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Typo

posted on Jun, 20 2023 @ 11:04 AM
link   
A few years ago my family and I hid in a closet while a tornado crossed near us. A month later I had a storm shelter installed.
texasstormshelterguy.com...

posted on Jun, 20 2023 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I actually love sleeping during a storm. Granted, knowing the are tornados in the vicinity would change that a bit.

As said above, ccontrolling your anxiety and keeping a cool head is Paramount. Anxiety is the manifest result of a perceived problem that has not and likely will not happen. If you allow the anxiety to dominate you, then if and when that problem manifests, you will be much less able to deal with and resolve it.

posted on Jun, 20 2023 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Hydroxyzine. Very similar to benadryl, non addictive, and works fantastic for both sleep and anxiety without knocking you out cold.

posted on Jun, 20 2023 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman
Hydroxyzine. Very similar to benadryl, non addictive, and works fantastic for both sleep and anxiety without knocking you out cold.

In some states the dispensaries sell "gummy bears" that do the same thing. My primary care lady prescribes lorazepam but I prefer the bears, washed down with a Sunrise and it's "Goodnite Irene"!

Don't drink and drive!
edit on 20-6-2023 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2023 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: LordAhriman

Thanks your lordship, I had thought of Benadryl, never tried it.

posted on Jun, 20 2023 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

Start with a minimal dose. I've been taking it for years, both for allergies and a sleep aid, so I can take 100mg at a time, but in the beginning 1 was plenty and if I took 2, I woke up with what I call a benadryl hangover. Just sluggish and slow to get fully awake and moving.

posted on Jun, 20 2023 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck

In any extreme situation obviously besides why it's recommended, I probably wouldn't take a benadryl.
But if it turns out to just be a violent storm with minimal hail damage and no possible tornado producing cells then ya go for it.

Also for anyone wondering....if your vehicle is not protected from hail I would always put atleast a tarp over your car.
Not because it stops hail but if glass breaks you will thank me later for minimal interior water damage.
I should know....and one would think I would've learned a lesson....

posted on Jun, 20 2023 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck

Benadryl actually leaves me groggy in the morning, where as Hydroxyzine does not. Benadryl will do the trick in a pinch though.

posted on Jun, 20 2023 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Get yerself a pro wrastler as a boyfriend, then he can put a sleeper hold on you every night ...

Here is a linky to a YoobyTooby™ search for how to sleep fast.

Hope it helps.
( Somebody on ATS™ recently recommended that Doc, so thanks to them. )

posted on Jun, 20 2023 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Thank you for the replies everyone
I will look into , possibly, installing a closet storm shelter & buy benadryl

posted on Jun, 20 2023 @ 05:50 PM
link   
FWIW not a smart idea to take something that knocks you out during a tornado warning or even a watch in Florida. If i haven't taken Benedryl in a while I could sleep through a marching band in my living room

Not to mention if I remember correctly ancientlight really doesn't prefer pharmaceuticals, personally my sister swears by Gabajoy an OTC herbal as it brings her anxiety attacks down but doesn't knock her out, my understanding is that Destress by Rae @ Walmart has some of the same benefits
edit on 20-6-2023 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2023 @ 06:33 PM
link   

I love stormy weather. The more extreme the better. I love sleeping outside during storms. Storms help me sleep. I lived in florida for 40 years. And slept outside during hurricanes 3 times.

posted on Jun, 20 2023 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Why not listen to storm, rain, ocean tapes? To acclimate yourself?

posted on Jun, 21 2023 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuckAND ancientlight:-
Sleep deprivation is the worse thing to lead to paranoia/depression. This has been a proven fact when using it in torture scenarios.

I have been there myself and know the helpless feelings, so please, please, if it gets bad get help. Talk to someone, don't try to suffer alone. If it's only minor then yeah take the "drugs" but they just postpones the condition unless they're prescribed.

new topics

top topics

join