It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sword from a Bronze Age Burial in Germany is so Well Preserved it Shines

page: 1

join
share:
+17 more 
posted on Jun, 17 2023 @ 03:41 AM
link   
The incredibly well preserved 14th century B.C Bronze age sword was found in a 3 person burial (possibly family) in the town of Nördlingen in Bavaria , I think it must have been imbued by some kind of powerful magic as it looks as good today as it no doubt did three thousand years ago.

The 3,000-year-old sword, discovered in the town of Nördlingen in Bavaria, was found in the burial of a man, woman and child. It appears that the trio were buried in quick succession, but it's unclear if they are related to one another, according to a statement the Bavarian State Office for Monument Protection released on Wednesday (June 14).

The ornate handle of the sword has turned green with age but to me that just highlights the craftmanship of the decoration on the hilt by adding a little iridescence.

The sword is so well preserved, "it almost still shines," according to the translated statement. The weapon has an ornate octagonal hilt crafted from bronze that now has a greenish tinge, as bronze contains copper, a metal that oxidizes when exposed to air and water.

Archaeologists dated the sword to the end of the 14th century B.C. Sword discoveries from this time and region are rare, as many middle Bronze Age graves were looted over the millennia, the team said.

Only skilled smiths could make octagonal swords. The handle, which has two rivets, was cast over the blade in a technique known as overlay casting. However, the blade doesn't have any visible cut marks or signs of wear, suggesting that it had a ceremonial or symbolic purpose, according to the statement. Even so, the sword could have easily served as an active weapon, as the center of gravity on the blade's front end suggests that it could have effectively slashed opponents.
www.livescience.com...

No doubt a sword fitting of a Dragonborn , beautiful.

edit on 17-6-2023 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2023 @ 04:06 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

That is a bad ass sword. Thanks for sharing that.

posted on Jun, 17 2023 @ 04:34 AM
link   

I wonder if they were royalty of some sort, like a tribal chief or wise man. That's a very ornate sword and doesn't look like something belonging to the average Joe.

posted on Jun, 17 2023 @ 04:43 AM
link   
It must have came from the Japanese Ninja Samurai.

posted on Jun, 17 2023 @ 04:46 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

It's definitely a high status object so I wouldn't be surprised if the owner was a local chief , the sword may have been ceremonial as it appears not to have been used in battle or perhaps meant for the afterlife along with the arrow heads.

I doubt anything we make today will survive 3 thousand years.

It's mindboggling to think that any event in history you can think of that sword was sat in the ground before it happened just waiting to be discovered.

edit on 17-6-2023 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2023 @ 04:52 AM
link   
It’s kind of a pity that at some point between now and then someone in desperate need of a sword hadn’t stuck their hand in the mud and closed a fist around that beauty.

Could have been some great Arthurian story making!

edit on 17-6-2023 by Dalamax because: Edit, alter, reiterate

edit on 17-6-2023 by Dalamax because: A fiat is a car, a fist is not. Autocorrect hates me

posted on Jun, 17 2023 @ 06:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
I think it must have been imbued by some kind of powerful magic as it looks as good today as it no doubt did three thousand years ago.

This sword literally has a glow doesn't it? On top of being almost supernaturally well preserved.

It'd cross my mind to leave it undisturbed than to risk unbottling things I don't understand!

posted on Jun, 17 2023 @ 07:23 AM
link   

The blade looks like it’s practically translucent in the first pic near the handle on the left side. perhaps it’s the iridescence, I’d love to be able to see it in person. Look like amazing.

posted on Jun, 17 2023 @ 08:12 AM
link   

It's quite beautiful. Yes, fitting of Dragonborn. Or King Arthur's Excalibur. To me, there's something magical about it.

posted on Jun, 17 2023 @ 08:40 AM
link   
AWESOME

posted on Jun, 17 2023 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I would love to see a XRF reading of the blade to see what the alloy was that preserved it so good.

posted on Jun, 17 2023 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: ANNED
I would love to see a XRF reading of the blade to see what the alloy was that preserved it so good.

I think the people will keep it from the public.

posted on Jun, 17 2023 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: ANNED

It seems the sword has been lifted from the grave so I guess investigation has started , no doubt more detail will be released in the future , here's a bit more info and a closer look at the hilt , I think the original owner would have liked its new green hue.

The sword's excellent state of preservation has been a joy to behold for the archaeologists. Crafted from bronze, the weapon has an exquisite ornate octagonal hilt. This has acquired a greenish patina over time due to the oxidation of the copper present in the bronze alloy, according to a press statement from Bavarian State Office for Monument Protection.

The Bronze Age in Western Europe is renowned for its advanced metallurgy and the skilled work of metallurgists, and this sword is a stunning example of this. Metallurgy played a pivotal role in the development of societies and the advancement of technology. This era, which lasted from around 2500 BC to 800 BC, was characterized by the widespread use of bronze, a copper-based alloy, for the creation of tools, weapons, and other essential objects.

The unique design is reflective of the expertise and artistry of its creator. Octagonal swords like this one were exclusively crafted by highly skilled blacksmiths. The hilt, secured to the blade with two rivets using a technique known as overlay casting, exhibits remarkable craftsmanship. Surprisingly, despite its apparent functionality, the blade bears no visible signs of wear or cut marks, suggesting that it may have served a ceremonial or symbolic purpose.
www.ancient-origins.net...

posted on Jun, 17 2023 @ 12:38 PM
link   
The sword looks great, also look at the arrows, very sophisticated work!

The sword must have been looking glorious at the time with the copper shining in the sun. The blade would be very soft though, that's why it is made so thick down the center line of the blade, I think.

Great find!

posted on Jun, 18 2023 @ 12:35 PM
link   
They sent him on his way to the afterlife with is sword at his side and pouch of bronze arrowhead tips.

posted on Jun, 18 2023 @ 02:27 PM
link   
That is stunningly beautiful ! the work that went into that sword so long ago is amazing.

I would imagine it was not just a weapon but a desirable object to own.

Thankyou for posting ..wow

All the best

posted on Jun, 18 2023 @ 08:54 PM
link   
+2 Charisma and +3HP per roll. You enemies cower in fear for 3 turns when used.

posted on Jun, 19 2023 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Quadlink
Amazing, right? Not only the work, have you considered getting to, identifying, collecting and melting the copper, zinc, iron and Ag ores in the correct amounts? Copper "work hardens", brass is more ductile but forging would be a challenge.

I am sure it was not very sharp when inert, certainly not for a long time... but when swung or used with the pointy end in a dagger style, they were very efficient.

edit on 19.6.2023 by TDDAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2023 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

It must have came from the Japanese Ninja Samurai.

What gives you this idea?

I am sure it didn't. Katana and similar were useless against breast plates, it makes zero sense to use a Japanese sword against breast plates and other harness. And medieval Europe swords were not made to do cutting like with a Katana or moved like the Japanese swords were, in general.

The grip size is also evidence that this is a genuine "1 1/2 hander", how we call them. These were used with gloves, also evident by the bulge.

top topics

join