It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do some people live to 100? Tips and advise

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2023 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Source: www.bu.edu...

Thomas Perls, director of BU’s New England Centenarian Study, explains how and why some people live to 100 years old. While genetics plays a huge role in whether someone becomes a centenarian (or supercentenarian), Perls says we can still do four things to increase our chances of living longer.

1) About one in every 5,000 people in the United States is a centenarian—someone who’s 100 or more years old—and about 85 percent of them are women. As the New England Centenarian Study has shown, centenarians age slowly, delaying age-related diseases to much later in life.

2) Thomas Perls says we can do four things to increase our chances of living longer:

-Manage stress
-Eat right—and keep meat consumption to a minimum
-Don’t smoke!
-Exercise regularly

3) Genetics plays a huge role in our longevity. While getting to age 90 is roughly 30 percent genetics and 70 percent health behaviors, Perls says by age 110 it’s likely the opposite, or 70 percent genetic

Perls makes an important observation in this podcast-The average life expectancy in the US is about 77 years when in other countries is as high as 82 years-Comparisons are made (I will assume) with other developed countries-but the problem is visible-

Genetics play a smaller role if you want to make it to the age of 85-90 n if you have a good diet with plenty of vegetables n fruits n exercise regularly without smoking n consuming large amount of alcohol then chances are really good-but at the same time when following a healthy lifestyle quality of life increases- Cardiovascular exercise 4-5 times a week n eating meat two-three times a week-
edit on 14-6-2023 by linda72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2023 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Another source:

www.geisinger.org...

posted on Jun, 14 2023 @ 07:44 AM
link   
most likely in the genes
plenty of fish and eggs do go a long way
people say exercise... my mother is 94, never exercised a day in her life ( I don't know about her childhood though)

posted on Jun, 14 2023 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
most likely in the genes
people say exercise... my mother is 94, never exercised a day in her life ( I don't know about her childhood though)

Genetics play an important role but according to the link if you want to make it to 90 then 70% is health behaviors

posted on Jun, 14 2023 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: linda72
With exceptions for those who seem to have a knack for abusing the hell out of their body, I'm convinced it's ALL genetics. I've been fortunate enough to know some centenarians. A few of them smoked for most of their life, another chewed tobacco, and yet another lived a clean life. All of them have said they did nothing special to reach 100+.

If anything, I have found that health freaks seem to have as many problems in old age as the rest of us.

posted on Jun, 14 2023 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Genetics with a little bit of lifestyle, but I think genetics is a much more important.

We have extreme longevity in my family. Surprisingly many men have lived over 100, and for white men that is truly rare. I have some photos of one of my gg grandfathers blowing out 100 candles on his birthday cake.

Sadly, my one grandfather was murdered and the other one died at 44 of lung cancer (worked in mines and smoked)
My grandmother was 80 and ended up dying because she choked on food.

Back to that longevity. The family lived on a farm and ate typical farm food, pork, beef and lots of eggs.

Back to that family longevity that we have. Something else that may or may not be connected. Our family has a very childlike look even when we are adults, baby faces. Could that have something to do with our longevity? I’ve seen it in all my cousins, my own kids, my aunts, etc. There is something about our faces that is just very youthful, almost hobbit like if that makes sense.

edit on 14-6-2023 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2023 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Genetics with a little bit of lifestyle, but I think genetics is a much more important.

We have extreme longevity in my family. Surprisingly many men have lived over 100, and for white men that is truly rare. I have some photos of one of my gg grandfathers blowing out 100 candles on his birthday cake.

Sadly, my one grandfather was murdered and the other one died at 44 of lung cancer (worked in mines and smoked)
My grandmother was 80 and ended up dying because she choked on food.

Back to that longevity. The family lived on a farm and ate typical farm food, pork, beef and lots of eggs.

Back to that family longevity that we have. Something else that may or may not be connected. Our family has a very childlike look even when we are adults, baby faces. Could that have something to do with our longevity? I’ve seen it in all my cousins, my own kids, my aunts, etc. There is something about our faces that is just very youthful, almost hobbit like if that makes sense.

Being an American Sicilian Italian, eggs were part of our diet when we were young. Genes are the key though. My uncles and aunts and my dear mother are all over 92 years of age. I think eating tomatoes are also important.

posted on Jun, 14 2023 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
most likely in the genes

Agree its mostly genes. One of my grandpas lived to 96 and was a tall, thin accountant whose leg was in a cast for decades before he died. Exercise was never his thing, even young when a weekly game of lawn bowling was about it. His biggest complaint about aging was depression in the later years as everyone he knew, wife and friends, had died.

posted on Jun, 14 2023 @ 10:50 AM
link   
As many said, mostly genetics plus some circumstances like living on the land / city.

In my opinion, finding a meaning in life or hobby when retiring is important. Idle hands means idle head. I think if you ask those that get very old, many of them worked hard and long in their life.

It's not the work, but having a meaning in life, something to do. I saw it happening with my uncle, who had pancreatic cancer. He would not give a lot about doctors estimates, tried to live just as normal as he could. A short time after he retired, he got the diagnosis. But he kept doing his normal things, like helping out in sports or shooters club, doing communal work like fixing benches and such things.

But then that was not possible anymore. I think the most that hurt in the end was his sense of pride and honor. It took a few weeks after that and I think he wrote it in his fare well letter, then he died.

A strong will, that was the phrase I was looking for! Having a strong will and many get that through pride in their work and I think it helps greatly, as movement and work is healthy.

posted on Jun, 14 2023 @ 11:41 AM
link   
It is mainly genetics. My dad will be 97 this year. His brother and sister are in their 90s as well. Dad doesnt even have wrinkles or look that old. He runs his own household, and only recently stopped driving for safety due to strength and reaction time. I overheard one of my sisters saying she felt like she had hit the DNA jackpot

posted on Jun, 14 2023 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
It is mainly genetics. My dad will be 97 this year. His brother and sister are in their 90s as well. Dad doesnt even have wrinkles or look that old. He runs his own household, and only recently stopped driving for safety due to strength and reaction time. I overheard one of my sisters saying she felt like she had hit the DNA jackpot

That is amazing and a blessing.

My dad was physically so young, but parkinsons and dementia got him.

posted on Jun, 14 2023 @ 12:19 PM
link   

My grandfather died at 97, smoked his entire life and drank a ton! He was never sick he dropped dead smoking at 97. With all the bad things he did he would never eat red meat!

posted on Jun, 14 2023 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Genetics firstly and above all determine your physical bodies longevity.

That being said here is a List.

1. Diet : What you put into your body is what you are simple as that , You are what you eat . Drink only water , Eat whole foods , Don't smoke , Don't drink alcohol , Don't take any drugs aside from Supplements.

2. Sleep : Get plenty of Sleep , your body resets and refreshes everything in your sleep.

3. Exercise : I cant stress enough how important Exercise is , It constantly refreshes your cells causing them to get rid of toxins and make new cells . It keeps your arteries Clear and your joints healthy.

4. Positive Attitude : A positive Mind = A positive Body .

posted on Jun, 14 2023 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

Being an American Sicilian Italian, eggs were part of our diet when we were young. Genes are the key though. My uncles and aunts and my dear mother are all over 92 years of age. I think eating tomatoes are also important.

My grandpa would not allow tomatoes or tomato sauce in his house. He called it dirty Italian (Eyetalian) food.
I guess during that time in the Pennslyvania area, people were real racist against Italians. Probably similar to how some feel about Mexicans/hispanics today.

Don't worry, half of his descendants married Italian people.

I have another family member that grew up in a household very racist to black people.
Guess who his first child married...... Don't know if it is karma or what, but I've seen that happen so many times.

edit on 14-6-2023 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2023 @ 02:45 PM
link   
When I retired, I quit worrying about 17 mechanics, 20 production lines, 12 bosses and corporate crap. My wife said I looked 20 years younger. I still feel my age - 73 in August. The secret is to quit worrying, don't let life get you down. There is nothing you can do about what goes on in the world or your country; so quit worrying about it. What will be will be, there's nothing will change that.

Live your life to the fullest, smile all the time and Have Fun!

posted on Jun, 14 2023 @ 03:39 PM
link   
In thirty three years I will be a hundred. I am having problems with dealing with the craziness in our society right now, I don't want to have to put up with the turbulence in society for another thirty three years. Just think of the lawlessness that will escalate in that time. I don't want to be worried about someone breaking into my home then getting out of jail the next day when I call the cops on them while holding them at gunpoint. They will probably sue me for pointing a gun at them saying I scared them so they cannot make a living robbing homes anymore.

By the time I am seventy five I will be so tired of the deterioration of society that is happening here in the USA. Maybe the aliens will stop by and pick me up and bring me to a place where there is no chaos....can only hope.

Most things that people are doing to try to increase their lifespan wind up causing health problems...because we evolved from relatives that have epigenetic traits they got from their environment they lived in. So when you change your diet or environment it can cause another problem to occur. Side effects of food chemistry happen too, it is not just the medicines that were designed from medical properties of foods and herbs.

I want to kick the bucket before I cannot get around anymore on my own, I do not want to have other people inconvenienced by taking care of me or see all what I worked hard for go to the medical industry.

posted on Jun, 14 2023 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I like things made with tomatoes, but I am metabolically intolerant to them. Before I got married thirty eight years ago and for many years after, I avoided tomato products, having them only on rare occasions where it was worth it like eating my wife's homemade lasagna. I now eat more tomato stuff and have more digestive issues and get hives on my forehead if I eat more than one serving a week. But I will not give them up. I guess if you get hives from tomatoes on your skin, it can also happen in the intestines...it is an intolerance, not an allergy...the chemical is related to licopine that I am intolerant to...also a similar one is in mackeral, sardines, and extra virgin olive oils. I like light or extra light olive oil, those do not give me a problem. I used to be unaware that that allergic reaction to the tomatoes on my face was also happening in my gut till I read some medical articles on it.

I am still going to eat her lasagna till the day either me or her dies.

posted on Jun, 14 2023 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Being a horrible bastard the key to longevity, finds report

I'm pretty sure the linked article is supposed to be humor... or maybe not...

posted on Jun, 15 2023 @ 06:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: tnxoxodka
Being a horrible bastard the key to longevity, finds report

I'm pretty sure the linked article is supposed to be humor... or maybe not...

Since you said it-

If you're not affected by what others say or do n you have good mental health it could really add up many years in your life

new topics

top topics

join