It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crocodile found to have made herself pregnant!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2023 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: quintessentone

originally posted by: linda72

Interesting and only one egg. Normally crocodiles lay 30 - 70 eggs at one time.

Where you expecting all eggs to hatch n produce little baby crocodiles?

Your question is nonsensical.

Apparently you didn't get the sarcasm but anyway..

It's difficult to weed out your sarcasm with your seriousness. How about a /sarc in the future?

It's obvious due to lack of knowledge when it comes to biology n genetics-I recommend reading n less ideology

The lack of knowledge is in the confirmation bias' you hold on to very tightly, I recommend letting go.

I am not the one who claims there are more than two biological sexes-or intersex is a spectrum of sexualities

Nobody is disputing there are not the two sexes, what is in dispute is whether or not there are a spectrum of intersex variances which happen in the womb, before birth, where the masculinization/feminization processes occur, and so far the experts in their fields (not you nor I nor anyone here at ATS) have proven this as fact.

If you are not disputing there only two sexes then sex is binary n no need for further discussions-

You may dispute as much as you want what intersex is-but the reality: it's a medical condition/disorder. There is no expert who concluded intersex is a spectrum of sexualities-

Take a look at crocodiles-male n female- sometimes they produce asexually

My argument leans more towards why transgender people think, feel and believe themselves to be somewhere along the intersex spectrum and not their assigned birth sex and geneticists and neuroscientists studying transgender people, specifically, are finding brain structure anomalies vs. non-transgender people.

Whatever the physicality of this condition, it is proven transgender people have different physical attributes and it's not all in their heads, rather it's all in the structure of their brains and genetic roll of the dice.

I am not interested in what you think on this matter-nothing is proven from what you said-adding your conversation has nothing to do with the female crocodile that impregnated herself-great stuff n worth a research proposal-I am sure crocodiles are male n female n don't identify as transgender
edit on 12-6-2023 by linda72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2023 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Where you expecting all eggs to hatch n produce little baby crocodiles?

Your question is nonsensical.

Apparently you didn't get the sarcasm but anyway..

It's difficult to weed out your sarcasm with your seriousness. How about a /sarc in the future?

It's obvious due to lack of knowledge when it comes to biology n genetics-I recommend reading n less ideology

The lack of knowledge is in the confirmation bias' you hold on to very tightly, I recommend letting go.

I am not the one who claims there are more than two biological sexes-or intersex is a spectrum of sexualities

Nobody is disputing there are not the two sexes, what is in dispute is whether or not there are a spectrum of intersex variances which happen in the womb, before birth, where the masculinization/feminization processes occur, and so far the experts in their fields (not you nor I nor anyone here at ATS) have proven this as fact.

If you are not disputing there only two sexes then sex is binary n no need for further discussions-

You may dispute as much as you want what intersex is-but the reality: it's a medical condition/disorder. There is no expert who concluded intersex is a spectrum of sexualities-

Take a look at crocodiles-male n female- sometimes they produce asexually

My argument leans more towards why transgender people think, feel and believe themselves to be somewhere along the intersex spectrum and not their assigned birth sex and geneticists and neuroscientists studying transgender people, specifically, are finding brain structure anomalies vs. non-transgender people.

Whatever the physicality of this condition, it is proven transgender people have different physical attributes and it's not all in their heads, rather it's all in the structure of their brains and genetic roll of the dice.

I am not interested what you think about this matter-nothing is proven from what you said-adding your conversation has nothing to do with the female crocodile that impregnated herself-great stuff n worth a research proposal-I am sure crocodiles are male n female n don't identify as transgender

It all falls within the genetic/endocrine/neuroscience/microbiological umbrella where genetic attributes may effect certain or different behaviours or physicalities.

posted on Jun, 12 2023 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: linda72
"She produced a foetus that was 99.9% genetically identical to herself."
That part is interesting-she essentially cloned herself-in the same way certain female plants can create geneticaly almost identical seeds if they self fertilize/pollnate.
Its a kind of redundant back up plan for survival maybe.
I wonder what sex the baby croc was?
When certain female plants self pollinate,they will only create female seeds.

Its interesting how humans and other animals share certain mechanisms/abilities with plants.
Its like there are clues about the mysterious bigger picture in our DNA..

posted on Jun, 12 2023 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Silcone Synapse
"She produced a foetus that was 99.9% genetically identical to herself."
That part is interesting-she essentially cloned herself-in the same way certain female plants can create geneticaly almost identical seeds if they self fertilize/pollnate.
Its a kind of redundant back up plan for survival maybe.
I wonder what sex the baby croc was?
When certain female plants self pollinate,they will only create female seeds.

Its interesting how humans and other animals share certain mechanisms/abilities with plants.
Its like there are clues about the mysterious bigger picture in our DNA..

More or less I would say-but it is known asexual reproduction does happen-the purpose is reproduction n survival of the species. Good question but I don't know the sex of the baby croc

posted on Jun, 12 2023 @ 01:47 PM
link   

I read this elsewhere with more details.

She laid 14 eggs, and when they shone a flashlight through them they found that 7 had embryos. Only one came to term but was stillborn.

These are not the first cases of parthenogenesis in crocodiles, although it is the first time that they were found to have viable embryos. The scientists urge the community to always check the eggs from now on and not just discard them, since they have a chance of being viable.

posted on Jun, 12 2023 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to: linda72

Sounds like my ex-wife. I told her to screw herself SOOOOO many times!

(sorry)

posted on Jun, 13 2023 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mahogany

I read this elsewhere with more details.

She laid 14 eggs, and when they shone a flashlight through them they found that 7 had embryos. Only one came to term but was stillborn.

These are not the first cases of parthenogenesis in crocodiles, although it is the first time that they were found to have viable embryos. The scientists urge the community to always check the eggs from now on and not just discard them, since they have a chance of being viable.

I mentioned it earlier in this thread-this is probably not the first case of parthenogenesis in crocodiles but the first observed-there are many other species who can reproduce asexually-

posted on Jun, 13 2023 @ 10:08 AM
link   

The CrocMessiah?

posted on Jun, 13 2023 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: AwakenWithMe

The CrocMessiah?

If it's just once who knows?!

Let's make a croc-messiah ideology out of this........

posted on Jun, 13 2023 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Next headline, crocodile walks on water.

posted on Jun, 13 2023 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Parthenogenesis is a phenomenon found in some species of birds-fish-reptiles-plants-algae-but has not been seen before in crocodiles. It could be more common after all but this was the first case observed. Parthenogenesis is a form of asexual reproduction resulting in the production of a zygote from an unfertilized egg-some animals have the ability to switch between sexual n asexual reproduction-for example the zebra shark in the absence of a mate-but it looks like crocodiles can do the same whenever the circumstances are appropriate. If it's the first case of an asexual reproduction in crocodiles then this is breaking news!

www.bbc.co.uk...

The first case of a crocodile who made herself pregnant has been identified at a zoo in Costa Rica.

She produced a foetus that was 99.9% genetically identical to herself.

The phenomenon of so-called "virgin birth" has been found in species of birds, fish and other reptiles, but never before in crocodiles.

The scientists say the trait might be inherited from an evolutionary ancestor, so dinosaurs might also have been capable of self-reproduction.

The research has been published in the Royal Society journal, Biology Letters.

The egg was laid by an 18-year-old female American crocodile in Parque Reptilania in January 2018. The foetus inside was fully formed but stillborn and so did not hatch.

The crocodile who laid the egg was obtained when she was two years old and was kept apart from other crocodiles for its entire life. Because of this, the park's scientific team contacted Belfast-born Dr Warren Booth, now working at Virginia Tech in the US. He has been studying virgin births, known scientifically as parthenogenesis, for 11 years.

Dr Booth analysed the foetus and found that it was more than 99.9 % genetically identical to its mother - confirming that it had no father.

Source: www.biologyonline.com...

So the chicken came before the egg...interesting.

posted on Jun, 14 2023 @ 07:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: DeadSnow

Parthenogenesis is a phenomenon found in some species of birds-fish-reptiles-plants-algae-but has not been seen before in crocodiles. It could be more common after all but this was the first case observed. Parthenogenesis is a form of asexual reproduction resulting in the production of a zygote from an unfertilized egg-some animals have the ability to switch between sexual n asexual reproduction-for example the zebra shark in the absence of a mate-but it looks like crocodiles can do the same whenever the circumstances are appropriate. If it's the first case of an asexual reproduction in crocodiles then this is breaking news!

www.bbc.co.uk...

The first case of a crocodile who made herself pregnant has been identified at a zoo in Costa Rica.

She produced a foetus that was 99.9% genetically identical to herself.

The phenomenon of so-called "virgin birth" has been found in species of birds, fish and other reptiles, but never before in crocodiles.

The scientists say the trait might be inherited from an evolutionary ancestor, so dinosaurs might also have been capable of self-reproduction.

The research has been published in the Royal Society journal, Biology Letters.

The egg was laid by an 18-year-old female American crocodile in Parque Reptilania in January 2018. The foetus inside was fully formed but stillborn and so did not hatch.

The crocodile who laid the egg was obtained when she was two years old and was kept apart from other crocodiles for its entire life. Because of this, the park's scientific team contacted Belfast-born Dr Warren Booth, now working at Virginia Tech in the US. He has been studying virgin births, known scientifically as parthenogenesis, for 11 years.

Dr Booth analysed the foetus and found that it was more than 99.9 % genetically identical to its mother - confirming that it had no father.

Source: www.biologyonline.com...

So the chicken came before the egg...interesting.

or... asexual reproduction as it known

top topics

<< 1   >>

join