It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crocodile found to have made herself pregnant!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2023 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Parthenogenesis is a phenomenon found in some species of birds-fish-reptiles-plants-algae-but has not been seen before in crocodiles. It could be more common after all but this was the first case observed. Parthenogenesis is a form of asexual reproduction resulting in the production of a zygote from an unfertilized egg-some animals have the ability to switch between sexual n asexual reproduction-for example the zebra shark in the absence of a mate-but it looks like crocodiles can do the same whenever the circumstances are appropriate. If it's the first case of an asexual reproduction in crocodiles then this is breaking news!

www.bbc.co.uk...

The first case of a crocodile who made herself pregnant has been identified at a zoo in Costa Rica.

She produced a foetus that was 99.9% genetically identical to herself.

The phenomenon of so-called "virgin birth" has been found in species of birds, fish and other reptiles, but never before in crocodiles.

The scientists say the trait might be inherited from an evolutionary ancestor, so dinosaurs might also have been capable of self-reproduction.

The research has been published in the Royal Society journal, Biology Letters.

The egg was laid by an 18-year-old female American crocodile in Parque Reptilania in January 2018. The foetus inside was fully formed but stillborn and so did not hatch.

The crocodile who laid the egg was obtained when she was two years old and was kept apart from other crocodiles for its entire life. Because of this, the park's scientific team contacted Belfast-born Dr Warren Booth, now working at Virginia Tech in the US. He has been studying virgin births, known scientifically as parthenogenesis, for 11 years.

Dr Booth analysed the foetus and found that it was more than 99.9 % genetically identical to its mother - confirming that it had no father.

Source: www.biologyonline.com...

posted on Jun, 12 2023 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Interesting and only one egg. Normally crocodiles lay 30 - 70 eggs at one time.

posted on Jun, 12 2023 @ 07:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: quintessentone

Where you expecting all eggs to hatch n produce little baby crocodiles?

posted on Jun, 12 2023 @ 07:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: linda72

Your question is nonsensical.

posted on Jun, 12 2023 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Apparently you didn't get the sarcasm but anyway..

posted on Jun, 12 2023 @ 07:43 AM
link   

It's difficult to weed out your sarcasm with your seriousness. How about a /sarc in the future?

posted on Jun, 12 2023 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: linda72

Did three wise crocdiles travel far and bring gifts for the crocomessiah?
Or was crocomamma lying about being a virgin?

posted on Jun, 12 2023 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Silcone Synapse
a reply to: linda72

Did three wise crocdiles travel far and bring gifts for the crocomessiah?
Or was crocomamma lying about being a virgin?

Ha! Maybe... who knows?!

posted on Jun, 12 2023 @ 08:17 AM
link   

The process, called parthenogenesis, allows creatures from honey bees to rattlesnakes to have so-called “virgin births.”

Such events can shock those who care for the animals. Examples include a zebra shark named Leonie, housed with other female sharks at Australia’s Reef HQ Aquarium, who stunned her keepers in 2016 when three of her eggs hatched into living pups.

www.nationalgeographic.com...

Keyword: 'living'

posted on Jun, 12 2023 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Not sure if this is an Ian Malcolm moment or time to start a new religion?

posted on Jun, 12 2023 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK
Not sure if this is an Ian Malcolm moment or time to start a new religion?

How about putting the female of all species' on a pedestal, that would be a good start.

posted on Jun, 12 2023 @ 09:57 AM
link   

It's difficult to weed out your sarcasm with your seriousness. How about a /sarc in the future?

It's obvious due to lack of knowledge when it comes to biology n genetics-I recommend reading n less ideology

edit on 12-6-2023 by linda72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2023 @ 10:19 AM
link   

The process, called parthenogenesis, allows creatures from honey bees to rattlesnakes to have so-called “virgin births.”

Such events can shock those who care for the animals. Examples include a zebra shark named Leonie, housed with other female sharks at Australia’s Reef HQ Aquarium, who stunned her keepers in 2016 when three of her eggs hatched into living pups.

That would be so cool. I have a female kingsnake who lays eggs every year but alone, no male, they just shrivel up. Would love to find a few babies... but she would probably eat them.

posted on Jun, 12 2023 @ 10:26 AM
link   

It's obvious due to lack of knowledge when it comes to biology n genetics-I recommend reading n less ideology

The lack of knowledge is in the confirmation bias' you hold on to very tightly, I recommend letting go.

posted on Jun, 12 2023 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: igloo

That would be so cool. I have a female kingsnake who lays eggs every year but alone, no male, they just shrivel up. Would love to find a few babies... but she would probably eat them.

Isn't nature grand and horrible at the same time.

posted on Jun, 12 2023 @ 10:55 AM
link   

The lack of knowledge is in the confirmation bias' you hold on to very tightly, I recommend letting go.

I am not the one who claims there are more than two biological sexes-or intersex is a spectrum of sexualities.

Take a look at crocodiles-male n female-
edit on 12-6-2023 by linda72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2023 @ 10:59 AM
link   

I am not the one who claims there are more than two biological sexes-or intersex is a spectrum of sexualities

Nobody is disputing there are not the two sexes, what is in dispute is whether or not there are a spectrum of intersex variances which happen in the womb, before birth, where the masculinization/feminization processes occur, and so far the experts in their fields (not you nor I nor anyone here at ATS) have proven this as fact.

posted on Jun, 12 2023 @ 11:04 AM
link   

I am not the one who claims there are more than two biological sexes-or intersex is a spectrum of sexualities

Nobody is disputing there are not the two sexes, what is in dispute is whether or not there are a spectrum of intersex variances which happen in the womb, before birth, where the masculinization/feminization processes occur, and so far the experts in their fields (not you nor I nor anyone here at ATS) have proven this as fact.

If you are not disputing there only two sexes then sex is binary n no need for further discussions-

You may dispute as much as you want what intersex is-but the reality: it's a medical condition/disorder. There is no expert who concluded intersex is a spectrum of sexualities-

Take a look at crocodiles-male n female- sometimes they produce asexually

posted on Jun, 12 2023 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Apparently desert tortoise do this too. My uncle had one for years. He had found it out removing wild bees for someone. Well, one day he found turtle eggs, that soon hatched! After that, he and his wife raised desert tortoise. The state of CA has strict regulations about this. You have to register all offspring and it's illegal to release them into the wild. There was a desert tortoise club that was all involved with these turtles.

There is a species of saltwater fish locally, that spends part of its life as female, then goes thru another growth cycle, and becomes male. The female fish are pink, but then when male, their heads and tails turn black. They are a very beautiful fish, and the males then can get very large. They are bucktoothed critters with a big bony jaw. Eat shellfish.

I dont think there are any mammals that have these traits. Maybe Im ignorant about it.

posted on Jun, 12 2023 @ 11:14 AM
link   

If you are not disputing there only two sexes then sex is binary n no need for further discussions-

You may dispute as much as you want what intersex is-but the reality: it's a medical condition/disorder. There is no expert who concluded intersex is a spectrum of sexualities-

Take a look at crocodiles-male n female- sometimes they produce asexually

My argument leans more towards why transgender people think, feel and believe themselves to be somewhere along the intersex spectrum and not their assigned birth sex and geneticists and neuroscientists studying transgender people, specifically, are finding brain structure anomalies vs. non-transgender people.

Whatever the physicality of this condition, it is proven transgender people have different physical attributes and it's not all in their heads, rather it's all in the structure of their brains and genetic roll of the dice.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join