It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Steel Wool is dangerous.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2023 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I wanted to post this, as it happened to me yesterday and I want to alert others of something that seems so inert, but can be deadly.

I was in my workshop the other day, took a 9 volt battery out of a smoke alarm and had it laying on the workbench.
I reached up to grab a new battery from a package hanging on a peg board. There was an open bag of steel wool also hanging up there, and I accidentally knocked a piece out of the bag, and the steel wool pad fell on the workbench and bounced off the 9 volt battery.

Instant bright flash !!!, and the steel wool began burning so hot and bright, I had to jump up and stomp it out with my foot. It would have started the wood bench on fire, if I had not immediately noticed it.

This was a weak battery as well, needing to be replaced for a fire alarm, but certainly had enough juice to ignite the steel wool.

I was amazed. I know the steel wool is flammable, but having it burst into flames for just touching the 2 poles on a battery so briefly, was a real eye opener.

Steel wool needs to be kept in a closed container and preferably stored away in a drawer or cabinet by itself.

I can imagine being in a hurry and not noticing what happened by immediately turning around and walking out of the shop.

Just posting this for the safety of all. I also wonder how many times steel wool and loose batteries have been the culprits in house fires.
edit on 9-6-2023 by charlyv because: sp

posted on Jun, 9 2023 @ 01:23 AM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

It's a good fire starter

(post by GreenGunther removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jun, 9 2023 @ 01:31 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 9 2023 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Jip... there it is.

posted on Jun, 9 2023 @ 02:17 AM
link   

And coffee creamer is an explosive. Bleach and ammonia mixed makes mustard gas, the WW1 poison gas. Gravity is also dangerous, both dropping things and falling off of things.

When working with super glue, have nail polish remover near, acitone removes super glue. WD-40 removes epoxy.

These things should be common knowledge. It is dangerous at home. Sometimes from what you know and sometimes from what you don't.

Oh, the steel wool thing is just one of thousands of ways to make fire. You learned how electrical fuses work.

posted on Jun, 9 2023 @ 03:09 AM
link   

its funny cos there are some of us who knew about this aspect of steel wool.
I guess it is shocking if you don't know.

Least you are ok and you didnt burn down your shed, right?

posted on Jun, 9 2023 @ 03:31 AM
link   

hah that was close

I had the most awesome steel wool story with my dad in the garage he was a building an ac cobra kit car with a v8 donor from a rover
and we were just sorting the manifolds but didnt have the full exhaust pipes yet so my dad just a couple scaffolding steel poles and attached them with some wire
we stuck some steel wool in the end of the pipes to try and muffle the engine

we started her up and it sounded like thunder and a lion trying to mate, he kept revving the engine and it got louder and angrier
then the steel wool went red white and then flames started popping out the end

we both looked at each other in amazement at how raw and awesome it sounded
he opened the fridge chucked me a beer and we cracked them open and toasted each other

SLAINTE MHATH we proclaimed

great memory and good bonding moment when I was 16

I meant to say forgot all about the wool , he always kept his steel wool in a metal tool chest
as a few times when he was using he angle grinder on steel , or when he was welding sparks would catch the odd piece on the floor which had been carelessly left and would catch fire
edit on 9-6-2023 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2023 @ 03:33 AM
link   

I actually thought that you were going to describe occasions where you have eaten at a Chinese restaurant and found small pieces of steel wool in your meal. (Like I have) Luckily I chew everything very carefully and have felt them before swallowing. 3 or four times now. Always Chinese restaurants.

posted on Jun, 9 2023 @ 03:49 AM
link   

We used to light the stuff in Physics lessons.

Hours of entertainment.

posted on Jun, 9 2023 @ 03:50 AM
link   

The wool is capable of burning due to a combination of factors and down to composition.

Steel wool is primarily made of iron which is a highly reactive metal, so when iron comes into contact with oxygen in the presence of heat, oxidation occurs which is an exothermic reaction if i remember chemistry class correctly.
edit on 9-6-2023 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2023 @ 04:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Cymru

We used to do that with Magnesium ribbons in Physics way back in the day.

posted on Jun, 9 2023 @ 04:15 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Ahh, its been a while.
What did we used to drop in a bowl of water and watch it pop/fizzle and then burn?

posted on Jun, 9 2023 @ 04:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Cymru

Pretty much.

posted on Jun, 9 2023 @ 05:25 AM
link   
One small example on how beneficial it is for boys to spend some time in boy scouts. They teach you that in your first year in that a 9 volt bat and steel wool make for a great fire starter.

Although, I always thought it would be easier to just carry a lighter lol

posted on Jun, 9 2023 @ 05:37 AM
link   

In somewhat related news: did you know that your rags with linseed oil might combust spontaneously?
And now you know what to put in the drawer with the steel wool...

posted on Jun, 9 2023 @ 05:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Insurrectile

In somewhat related news: did you know that your rags with linseed oil might combust spontaneously?
And now you know what to put in the drawer with the steel wool...

I thought this was common knowledge, just like the steel wool thing... but a couple years back my father almost burned his garage down with a linseed oil rag left draped over a paint can on the bench.
I couldn't believe he had never heard about how it happens... the next day he came in to a shop full of smoke, the rag was smoldering

posted on Jun, 9 2023 @ 06:16 AM
link   

I'm glad you posted this. I posted a similar thread of warning but it was with batteries and metal. I had no idea that batteries stored in a (some) metal container could catch fire. I do now. For some odd reason it was something my brain didn't connect even though I've known for years that you can start a fire with an aluminum gum wrapper and a battery. So I put a post out about it. And yes, some of the responses made me feel like an idiot. But in my defense there was no warning label on the battery package to NOT store the batteries in a metal container......so, there is that. LOL!

We all don't know some common knowledge facts and it's appreciated that you cared enough to put out a warning despite the possibility of a few jabs.

And finally, steel wool is a great survival tool. I keep it in my bug out bag along with a couple of batteries, with the wool and batteries separate and in plastic containers! You don't need much to start a fire so a wad of wool and a battery will last for many fires. It's better than magnesium flecks/dust in my opinion but again, is just another option to have when in need.

posted on Jun, 9 2023 @ 06:59 AM
link   

This sounds like sensationalism.

Yes, you can light steel wool with a 9volt, but it's not as violent as you describe.

I used to carry around steel wool and a 9volt to light cigarettes when I was in the Marine Corps.

posted on Jun, 9 2023 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

Did he soak the steel wool in water and then light it?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join