It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian 717’s are being retired from service

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2023 @ 10:25 PM
link   
QantasLink has announced that the venerable 717 will be retired from Australian skies.

Though as they are still in demand from operators they will be sold off to other airlines.

I have flown on a couple, really great aircraft. A bit more comfy with the 3 2 layout.

Will miss them.

A bit of a sexy looking plane.

australianaviation.com.au...

posted on May, 29 2023 @ 10:57 PM
link   
The 717 is an example of a really good plane, with utterly lousy timing. It fits a great niche in the 100 seat market, costs are low and it’s fairly easy to maintain, but it came about at the 2001 downturn, and against new jets from Embraer and Bombardier.

If you ever want to have fun and start an argument, tell avnerds that the 717 is the second 717 Boeing built.

posted on May, 29 2023 @ 11:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: robsmith
QantasLink has announced that the venerable 717 will be retired from Australian skies.

Though as they are still in demand from operators they will be sold off to other airlines.

I have flown on a couple, really great aircraft. A bit more comfy with the 3 2 layout.

Will miss them.

A bit of a sexy looking plane.

australianaviation.com.au...

The B717 is basically the last variant of the DC-9 line originally started by McDonnel Douglas and re-branded after Boeing bought McD-D. As an aerospace engineer, pilot, and frequent airline passenger I always loved the DC-9 line. They were fast, efficient, quiet, comfortable, and safe. I always enjoyed flying on them.

posted on May, 30 2023 @ 02:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Agreed it is a great plane, very comfy whist flying.

Though the maintenance issues with Alaskan airways would have had a bit of an impact on the public.

Though a great flight I had once was on a virgin e190 embrear, on a flight from Melbourne to Canberra.

The take off was brilliant, there were probably about 15 passengers on board lightly loaded, it took off like a rocket.

Pushed us back in our seats.

posted on May, 30 2023 @ 02:56 AM
link   
a reply to: 1947boomer

Probably two of my favourite planes are the dc9 and 727. Both were executed exceptionally well, they are both adaptable aircraft.

I remember back in the days, seeing both as air freighters landing and taking off from Essendon airport.

They were used my Ipec express.

I have a Hughes Airwest 1:72 on the build pile, it’s the old Aurora kit. Too many kits not enough time.

new topics

top topics

join