It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GAO report slams T-7A testing and calls new schedule optimistic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 01:49 PM
link   
A GAO report has been released on the T-7A testing program. In it, the GAO slams the APT program, saying they're currently 10 years behind schedule, and currently have several unresolved problems, including serious issues with the ejection system, as well as other systems. One of the big problems is the canopy fracturing system. Tests showed that in a ejection event, the canopy fracturing system would cause an over pressure in the cockpit, leading to concussions in over 20% of ejections. The Air Force threshold is 5%. The current design coils the explosive cord right over the pilot's head to reduce the risk of large pieces of canopy being in place when the seat goes through the canopy.

Another issue found was that in several tests, large pieces of glass were found stuck to the test mannequin from passing through the canopy. There's a risk that those shards will move when the pilot enters the wind blast around the aircraft. They also found a problem similar to the F-35, where lighter weight pilots were more at risk during the ejection sequence. They were more susceptible to neck and back injuries from the seat acceleration.

There are also software issues with control at high angles of attack and low speed. Specifically the aircraft was found to have undesired wing movement related to unexpected airflow across the airframe that the software couldn't deal with. Air Force experts expect another six iterations of software will be required, and if any are significant, it could delay the software up to 2 years past the expected completion date. That means that there's no room for delays, and very little margin for failed tests.

www.gao.gov...

Meanwhile Boeing is pushing back against the report, saying that it used outdated data. Ejection tests in February showed that the changes made in the ejection system were successful. They also say that the software that has been tested is the same as that for the EMD aircraft, which could begin flying later this year, and has shown connectivity between the aircraft and simulators, to allow for an embedded training system. Another big issue is that of 794 scheduled flight tests, only 42% were able to be completed due to weather, maintenance, and operations issues.

breakingdefense.com...

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

aviationweek.com...

Cheap material for cheap labor for an excuse to go full a.i. drone? LAME!

Bring on the TR3Bs, y'all.
'Merica.

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: BeNotAfraid

The ejection system fixes are largely in place. The big one left is the G forces from the seat, which they already have an idea for based on the F-35 seat that had the same problem. The software is the big question mark. Any delays to the software, and they could be looking at several years to finish. But, they do have a lot of data from the two aircraft, and the five EMD aircraft that are expected to start flying later this year will be a big help. I think the reality isn't going to be as bad as the GAO is warning, but it's not going to be a single software update either.

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 02:41 PM
link   

That's abysmal news. At this point, redo the program, disqualify the Red Hawk, and do a run off between T-50 and M-346. Those are in production, proven, and meet or exceed all the T-X criteria.

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid

Never happen. Boeing owns too many people in Congress.

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 02:49 PM
link   
From the sounds of the GAO report, Boeing must have missed a few payments.

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Oh, I know. I was fantasizing.

But between this and the Starliner alone, there are some serious deficiencies festering at Boeing.

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 03:02 PM
link   

It has been building for a while. I worked for a subcontractor to Boeing in 1989. Boeing was behind on it's 747 orders. Management got with the Union and came to an agreement. If the Unions would engineer a labor dispute, Boeing would bring all of the subcontracted work back inside. The Union did it. Boeing got an automatic extension on it's delivery dates (in the contract) and our company and a few others went under.

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Interesting Boeing tweet showing how the ejection sequence happens.

twitter.com...

posted on May, 24 2023 @ 08:43 AM
link   

First thing I noticed was that a fair amount of the canopy hits the knees.

Second thing I noticed was the proximity of the aft seat to the fore parachute.

Yikes!

posted on May, 24 2023 @ 12:55 PM
link   

I was really surprised to see that too. I’d be pretty twitchy about pulling the handles in that thing.

new topics

top topics

join