It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet Research Agency -Russian Troll Factory

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2023 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: LittleJake

Did you read this?!!!!!!

archive.mith.umd.edu...

From the source that you posted.
edit on 18-5-2023 by Oldcarpy2 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2023 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oldcarpy2
a reply to: JohnTitorSociety

Yes, but from your own source:

"Russia remains at the center of the discussion over the use of trolls and the dissemination of fake news. One of the main players cited by the report is theInternet Research Agency, a "troll farm" with links to Russian President Vladimir Putin. The report states that the Kremlin has long used such tactics to influence domestic politics by smearing opposition figures and faking grassroots support of the government".

So, there is that.

From your own source.

So?

Everyone knows all major powers use troll farms — I didn’t dispute this.

I provided you (and everyone else here) with a SIX year old survey of countries that were already using troll farms (33) including the US and Russia and ranking China as the largest offender.

The problem has -definitely- not improved since 2017 and has -obviously- gotten worse, both in quantity of nonsense on the net and in the number of countries using troll farms.

I think astroturf campaigns and similar activities generally:

1) cause no operational outcomes and waste money
2) annoy people, discourage discourse and waste money; and
3 are obvious to spot on the web if you have certain professional experiences

None of this is complex.

You could go hire a troll farm yourself - personally. Doing so is a trivial act, the only question is what’s your budget? IG influencers and Twitch Streamers and Twitter personalities do this all the time for years and years. It’s not even expensive anymore compared to 2017.

Governments have been doing it for about as long as complex software development companies have been doing it.

posted on May, 18 2023 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Yes. But I am talking about Russia. Why?

Because of it's current war in Ukraine.

That's the topic.

In case it wasn't clear.

Not whataboutisms.

posted on May, 18 2023 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Yes. But I am talking about Russia. Why?

Because of it's current war in Ukraine.

That's the topic.

In case it wasn't clear.

Not whataboutisms.

You don’t understand the point I made.

Almost everyone uses troll farms.

You telling me that the Russians use troll farms is no different than you telling me that the Russians use automatic rifles and bombs.

Whataboutism is the act of “excusing an actor’s behavior based on the fact that other actors are engaged in the same behavior.

I explicitly said troll farms are a dumb waste of time and energy. I’m not excusing Russian troll farms.

I’m saying everyone’s troll farms are bad.

posted on May, 18 2023 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Troll Farms
lol
Its an Industry

posted on May, 18 2023 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Oldcarpy2

Are you willfully ignoring DerBeobachter's post above, or did you just not see it?
It shows proof of other countries creating 'troll farms', which of course they do.

posted on May, 18 2023 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Are you willfully ignoring DerBeobachter's post above, or did you just not see it?
It shows proof of other countries creating 'troll farms', which of course they do.

posted on May, 18 2023 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: chris_stibrany

Sigh.

I was talking about a specific Russian Troll Farm in the context of their current War.

Which may or not be on ATS.

Perish the thought.

posted on May, 18 2023 @ 04:49 PM
link   

a reply to: Narvasis
Do you have any specific evidence for Western troll factories?

You asked a specific question above and got specific responses. Whether you like the responses is irrelevant to their veracity.

posted on May, 18 2023 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Likewise.

It works both ways, matey.

posted on May, 18 2023 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Likewise.

It works both ways, matey.

I don’t care about the content in this thread other than in providing the context that troll farms are pervasive in the public and private sector and are quite old as techniques go.

posted on May, 18 2023 @ 05:21 PM
link   

a reply to: xuenchen

Open your eyes.

So they have no evidence !!!!! 😁

posted on May, 18 2023 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I for one, truly appreciate this thread. Thank you

While many here may carry the baggage of past conversations into the mix, I caution you on not relying on "everybody does it" as some kind of palliative sentiment.

What is most important here to me ... in terms of ATS is that it at least recognizes the "mechanism" of troll farm use in the world. For some it was about principles... those are few, and I am among them... but for many it had been about how what was once only known as "water armies" (many associated with China) which could be engaged for money to 'change the PR landscape of products and services across the market.' Now it has become clear that was only a small sample of what this kind of organized effort can do. From civil and social unrest, to international war efforts and leadership standing... this is insidious.

Note this:

Troll tactics
1- calling on subscribers to target the social media profiles of opponents and Kremlin critics, including prominent politicians and world leaders, and spam them with pro-Kremlin comments
2- asking them to turn on VPNs and spam the comments sections of specific links to Instagram, YouTube, and Telegram
3- focusing activity on posting comments, rather than authoring original content – a tactic likely to decrease the risks of being detected by social media platforms for engaging in coordinated inauthentic behavior and/or harmful content
4- searching for ‘organic content’ posted by genuine users coherent with the lines they want to push, and then working to amplify these messages, in order that such views are distorted as the norm. This means that, provided the content they post is not too offensive, they are unlikely to be subject to de-platforming interventions

1: At ATS such behavior has historically been considered "activism" and we have not allowed it... regardless of the "virtue" it may represent. Here we cultivate dialogue... "activism" is not about dialogue.

2: No one here EVER has advised anyone to conceal their internet activity to pursue activist aims. EVER. That little tactic is hacking behavior... just no...

3. We've all seen them... "Post and Run" actors... usually associated with obnoxiously delivered appeals for 'commerce' or simply the more patiently devoted bigot or fanatic lunatic who joins, posts garbage in several threads until they can create thread titles of their own full of grotesque verbiage and the vilest outrage inducing language... sort of like many video titles nowadays ... it doesn't "take" here at ATS... It never really has. Moderators have to deal with this when it surfaces... they're not really that smart, just occasionally persistent.

4. While we like to poke and prod each other from time to time about our opinions and "sides" in the various topics; clearly this kind of behavior would become quickly self-evident... unless anyone here cares to argue that it wouldn't.

ATS is not Tweeter, Farcebook, Instgrab, or any of the 'popular' places where trollish behavior is socially or economically rewarded or thrives (because no one really "speaks "to" each other... only "at" each other.) Maybe that's why they hate us enough to malign us at every opportunity. Their influence in that regard is very coordinated... it makes me wonder.

Anyway...

edit on 5/18/2023 by Maxmars because: grammar

posted on May, 18 2023 @ 05:35 PM
link   

So, this is a Prigozhin funded Russian Troll Factory spreading Kremlin lies and disinformation on the internet and via social media.

www.gov.uk...

Hopefully it has not yet infested ATS.

Just putting this out there.

*SNIP*

"UK-funded expert research has exposed how the Kremlin is using a troll factory to spread lies on social media and in comment sections of popular websites.

The cyber soldiers are ruthlessly targeting politicians and audiences across a number of countries including the UK, South Africa and India.

The research exposes how the Kremlin’s large-scale disinformation campaign is designed to manipulate international public opinion of Russia’s illegitimate war in Ukraine, trying to grow support for their abhorrent war, and recruiting new Putin sympathisers.

Sick masterminds of the operation are believed to be working overtly from an old factory in St Petersburg, with paid employees, and internal working team"

Thoughts, ATS?

The Russian trolls are already here, they have been for years.
No Idea why they are tolerated.
You cant even point them out or you get a mod warning.

How things have changed on here.
edit on Thu, 18 May 2023 17:36:37 -0500365America/ChicagoThursday4 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2023 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Yes, but from your own source:

"Russia remains at the center of the discussion over the use of trolls and the dissemination of fake news. One of the main players cited by the report is theInternet Research Agency, a "troll farm" with links to Russian President Vladimir Putin. The report states that the Kremlin has long used such tactics to influence domestic politics by smearing opposition figures and faking grassroots support of the government".

So, there is that.

From your own source.

Yes, you're close but the grammar is off slightly ... It should read as:

Russia remains at the center of the discussion over the use of; trolls and the dissemination of fake news.

And it is you who is perpetrating this discussion by the ridiculous speculation.

"Oh Look! The British are back ... I mean here." To help back up the pro America agenda just like with erm, Iraq, no, Afghanistan, No erm, Lybia, No Syria ... Erm I mean Russia Russia Russia!!!

Give us a f#-ing break ...

This message brought to you by an 'Also Brit!' but this one thinks Tony Blair should be tried for the war criminal he is!

posted on May, 18 2023 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Maxmars
I for one, truly appreciate this thread. Thank you

While many here may carry the baggage of past conversations into the mix, I caution you on not relying on "everybody does it" as some kind of palliative sentiment.

What is most important here to me ... in terms of ATS is that it at least recognizes the "mechanism" of troll farm use in the world. For some it was about principles... those are few, and I am among them... but for many it had been about how what was once only known as "water armies" (many associated with China) which could be engaged for money to 'change the PR landscape of products and services across the market.' Now it has become clear that was only a small sample of what this kind of organized effort can do. From civil and social unrest, to international war efforts and leadership standing... this is insidious.

Note this:

Troll tactics
1- calling on subscribers to target the social media profiles of opponents and Kremlin critics, including prominent politicians and world leaders, and spam them with pro-Kremlin comments
2- asking them to turn on VPNs and spam the comments sections of specific links to Instagram, YouTube, and Telegram
3- focusing activity on posting comments, rather than authoring original content – a tactic likely to decrease the risks of being detected by social media platforms for engaging in coordinated inauthentic behavior and/or harmful content
4- searching for ‘organic content’ posted by genuine users coherent with the lines they want to push, and then working to amplify these messages, in order that such views are distorted as the norm. This means that, provided the content they post is not too offensive, they are unlikely to be subject to de-platforming interventions

1: At ATS such behavior has historically been considered "activism" and we have not allowed it... regardless of the "virtue" it may represent. Here we cultivate dialogue... "activism" is not about dialogue.

2: No one here EVER has advised anyone to conceal their internet activity to pursue activist aims. EVER. That little tactic is hacking behavior... just no...

3. We've all seen them... "Post and Run" actors... usually associated with obnoxiously delivered appeals for 'commerce' or simply the more patiently devoted bigot or fanatic lunatic who joins, posts garbage in several threads until they can create thread titles of their own full of grotesque verbiage and the vilest outrage inducing language... sort of like many video titles nowadays ... it doesn't "take" here at ATS... It never really has. Moderators have to deal with this when it surfaces... they're not really that smart, just occasionally persistent.

4. While we like to poke and prod each other from time to time about our opinions and "sides" in the various topics; clearly this kind of behavior would become quickly self-evident... unless anyone here cares to argue that it wouldn't.

ATS is not Tweeter, Farcebook, Instgrab, or any of the 'popular' places where trollish behavior is socially or economically rewarded or thrives (because no one really "speaks "to" each other... only "at" each other.) Maybe that's why they hate us enough to malign us at every opportunity. Their influence in that regard is very coordinated... it makes me wonder.

Anyway...

I did not point out that troll farms are pervasive and an older technique as a “palliative statement” — I pointed this out to demonstrate that the problem is massively larger than the vast majority of people suspect and that it is the prime cause of the signal-to-noise ratio getting worse over time for over a decade, and that most large governments and many large and small businesses do it as well.

posted on May, 18 2023 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxmars

It took me a while to construct my post so I missed seeing many others including yours from the moderators perspective but I stand by my post pre-emptively in that it is not simply the use of troll farms that pervades controlled information within forums such as these but in the echoing of the messages being used when addressing their existence ... The "Echo Effect" as it were.

Discussing the content of the OP and its very existence is one thing but presenting it as a statement of unbalanced use of a common information manipulation practice is quite another IMO.

posted on May, 18 2023 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Please forgive me if I seemed to state that as a direct counter to you. I was not meant so, and probably should have been worded better. I am very capable of flubbing grammar and typing out something that only approximates what I'm thinking sometimes.

I agree with you. This problem is larger than most many seem to appreciate. But I suppose that the topic of this is about Russia... and that may render some of my words off-topic. Hopefully my gist is understood, and I can be forgiven my barely adequate wording.

posted on May, 18 2023 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: AllAnIllusion

All very valid points.

This particular revelation may be just as 'propaganda' driven as the actual subject of the report itself. And there in lies our problem, should we genuinely care about understanding this kind of organized effort (to "influence" particular people on a particular level.) In order to succeed at their goal they must operate covertly... it is, in fact, the only absolute requirement of their operational existence.

This is an effort that functions by virtue of deception... and deception is a tricky thing... even for the deceiver... some might say 'especially' for the deceiver.

posted on May, 18 2023 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxmars

Exactly! Merely referring to another disinformation campaign as a "Troll Farm" is a part of swaying perception in a self serving way as if to suggest that one side always tells the truth.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join