It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spotify ejects thousands of AI-made songs in purge of fake streams

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2023 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Spotify ejects thousands of AI-made songs in purge of fake streams

Platform cracks down on bots posing as listeners as flood of content rattles music industry.

Spotify has removed tens of thousands of songs from artificial intelligence music start-up Boomy, ramping up policing of its platform amid complaints of fraud and clutter across streaming services.

In recent months the music industry has been confronting the rise of AI-generated songs and, more broadly, the growing number of tracks inundating streaming platforms daily.

Spotify, the largest audio streaming business, recently took down about 7 percent of the tracks that had been uploaded by Boomy, the equivalent of “tens of thousands” of songs, according to a person familiar with the matter.

Recording giant Universal Music had flagged to all the main streaming platforms that it saw suspicious streaming activity on Boomy tracks, according to another person close to the situation.

The Boomy songs were removed because of suspected “artificial streaming”—online bots posing as human listeners to inflate the audience numbers for certain songs.

Most interestingly, all of this activity being 'dealt with' is actually algorithmically fueled... it has nothing to do with AI except that AI uses algorithms too. The AI-generated music is another matter... and since people get paid for "hits" and "streams" making fake listeners is a good way to boost metrics... although it dilutes any real measure of music popularity...

I wonder if the numbers get all added up, if we might see the actually 'profitability' we are talking about... In the end this was people taking advantage of the construct... which means certain 'middlemen' profits dropped accordingly.

I thought it was interesting.

posted on May, 9 2023 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxmars

This is fascinating, because as a musician, doesn't this mean that Spotify has to rebate or refund a lot of $money from fake listeners that got royalties?

posted on May, 9 2023 @ 08:11 PM
link   

It's heartbreaking to see the downfall of human authenticity in real time..

edit on 5/9/2023 by EternalShadow because: eta

posted on May, 9 2023 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Have not really been following AI generated music.

Is it any good?

Are they replicating like new Queensrÿche songs or is it all crap?

posted on May, 9 2023 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: chris_stibrany

I would expect at least one attorney might be interested in resolving this as a class-action lawsuit... although I have no doubt that Spotify is duly indemnified against actions of this nature within their expansive contract.

This probably falls under 'third party' considerations... but in theory if the total amount defrauded is larger than a certain threshold... a certain criminality comes into play. But then usually it is all avoided in settlement with an 'arbitrator' (of their choosing.)

posted on May, 9 2023 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

You might be surprised at how 'authentic' it seems. I haven't any specific resources to throw at you, but there are plenty out there.

I've even heard of algorithms that allow users to instruct the machine to use certain styles, and or voices - and they do it well. Any voice sampled can be reproduced as a vocal song voice...

In time I may revisit that whole thing again - now I have to scare up the research notes...

posted on May, 9 2023 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalShadow

It's heartbreaking to see the downfall of human authenticity in real time..

Not necessarily. And in the end, the machine can only output a function of what it is given as source... it cannot spontaneously create without direction.

posted on May, 9 2023 @ 09:01 PM
link   

it cannot spontaneously create without direction.

Yet ?

posted on May, 9 2023 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

Yet ?

I'll give you that....

posted on May, 9 2023 @ 09:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

Yet ?

It would be cool to reengineer Dokken Songs with Geoff Tate singing them.

That voice is just awesome

edit on 9-5-2023 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

top topics

join