It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteor falls through roof in New Jersey

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2023 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD
Imagine how much the meteorite that almost hit the sky diver would have been worth! If your haven't seen it I am sure its easily found one youtube and there was even a thread on it here...but yea while floating down, after opening his shoot, on video a meteorite almost passes right between the guys legs. Crazy stuff!

“I got hit in the nuts by a meteorite”
-Newly famous guy

posted on May, 9 2023 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Imagine how much the meteorite that almost hit the sky diver would have been worth! If your haven't seen it I am sure its easily found one youtube and there was even a thread on it here...but yea while floating down, after opening his shoot, on video a meteorite almost passes right between the guys legs. Crazy stuff!
He opens his parachute, a rock falls out, and you think it was a meteor?

It Was a Rock.

Well, likely a rock, according to that article, I don't think they ever found it.

posted on May, 9 2023 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

Interesting...not sure how conclusive that article is...but it sure seems very plausible. Too bad they never found it lol.

posted on May, 9 2023 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

Money in the bank. With that meteor they can pay for the roof and have money left over.

posted on May, 9 2023 @ 10:28 PM
link   

What would happen if one hit a Boing 767 filled with passengers at 42,000 feet?

posted on May, 12 2023 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

What would happen if one hit a Boing 767 filled with passengers at 42,000 feet?

Good question. If at cosmic velocity, chalk up the Aircraft and everyone on it. At terminal velocity like most meteors at that altitude would fall it could punch a hole and depressurize the aircraft. Almost all meteors, especially chondrites, hit the atmosphere like a brick wall at 20-10 miles up and detonate, and the pieces wind up falling at terminal velocity to the ground.

Excluded are usually Irons, which, depending on size, can make it to the ground at cosmic velocity more than any other type of meteor. They can cause huge craters or tsunamis. Thankfully only about 7% of all meteors that enter the atmosphere are Irons. Asteroids bigger than 100 meters across usually make it to the ground at cosmic velocity, regardless of what they are made of, and those are catastrophic to Armageddon.
edit on 12-5-2023 by charlyv because: sp

posted on May, 12 2023 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Meteorite tested and confirmed:
College of NJ

posted on May, 13 2023 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Hello. Hope you are well. Just a reminder to pay your invoice.

The garden state has been fertilized.

posted on May, 13 2023 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Its funny, but many years ago I lived on the west coast of Florida, just north of Tampa. I remember one weekend looking though my homeowner's policy and I saw that my house was actually covered for being hit by space debris, IE manmade debris (maybe because we lived at a point on the coast where the space shuttle often flew directly over us on its way into the cape, creating double sonic booms every time). I am almost willing to be their insurance will cover the damage on this, because its such a far-fetched event it might be covered.
edit on 13-5-2023 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2023 @ 05:58 PM
link   
It may be from Halley's comet.
Hello wonderful person , this is Anton.
edit on 13-5-2023 by bluemooone2 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2023 @ 08:48 PM
link   
This was most likely a piece of the Eta Aquarid meteor shower as I pointed out in my OP. As Anton pointed out in the previous video, that shower is because of the orbit of Haleys Comet around the Sun.

This rock is worth a hell of a lot of money, and I hope they sell it to scientists that really would like to study it. Trouble is, the real money comes from collectors who drool over a piece of Haley's just like scientists, but scientists have very limited funds to get samples like this.

If a big museum picks it up, they may have the coffers to cover the stone and they will most likely allow science access to it.

The owner in NJ should expect a heavy payday for this and also the debris from the damage it caused in the house.

I have not heard as of yet of other finds, as they most likely exist. If a strewnfield is eventually discovered, it will show the track that could definitevely say it oriinated from that meteor shower, which also implies Halley, which originated it.

HammerStones are rare, and if it turns out to be a piece of Haley ... A hammerstone of Haley could be close to priceless.

posted on May, 17 2023 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: openminded2011

Yea that makes sense.

Space debris from launches are obviously man made, and coverable by insurance if some of it damaged your property.

On the other hand, it is possible that a meteorite would be considered and "act of God", and it may not be coverable, however this stone COULD BE so valuable it could destroy the whole building and you would still be able to pay for it many times over by selling the stone and debris.

edit on 17-5-2023 by charlyv because: sp

posted on May, 17 2023 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Update:

Sky and Telescope did some trajectory analysis and also got some feedback from meteorite searchers in the area.

They think the trajectory does not match a fall originating from Et Aquarid shower, thus probably not related to Haley.

Also, comets are "usually" made of very friable material, and are often associated with "carbonaceous chondrites", and not the ll-6 (low iron) chondrite that this seems to be. Comets can also be made of mixtures of other types of asteroid material, so we do not definitively know...

It will probably be classified with the name "Hopewell" but could also be "Titusville", as it is nearest large city.

Any way, an interesting read:

New Jersey Meteorite - Sky and Telescope article
edit on 17-5-2023 by charlyv because: sp

posted on May, 17 2023 @ 09:27 PM
link   
uh ooh, is this thing turning out to be one of those frozen chunks of feces from a commercial airliners men's room?

posted on May, 17 2023 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: bluemooone2

Thanks for that link. Anton is great, and is wonderful that he covered this.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join