It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mrs. Doubtfire, Mandela effect or faulty memory? What do you recall?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2023 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I have watched the movie Mrs. Doubtfire many times and this is the first time I have experienced what some call "the Mandela effect" and others call "misremembering" I suppose it is possible I have misremembered this scene but if so I feel silly because it is one I have quoted many times throughout my life.

When the family visits the pool with Pierce Brosnan, Mrs. Doubtfire (Robin Williams) is seated at the bar and throws a lime at the back of Pierce Brosnan's head. When he turns around what does Mrs. Doubtfire say?

Do you remember:

"it was a drive-by fruiting"

Or

"It was a run-by fruiting"

I am just wondering what people remember as far as that line in the movie goes. This isn't meant to turn into a debate about the validity of the Mandela Effect but that is also welcome. I haven't experienced any other "Mandela Effects" people talk about and until this quote, I had thought it was all just misremembering. I could be misremembering it also, but every person I have asked remembers it how I remember it so I just want a larger sample size, really.

Have you experienced any Mandela effects? Do you believe it is an actual phenomenon or is it just faulty memory? And did Mrs. Doubtfire say "it was a run-by fruiting" or was it "it was a drive-by fruiting"?

Has anyone posted about this specific Mrs. Doubtfire "Mandela effect" before? Because I searched and didn't find any threads about this one.

posted on May, 5 2023 @ 11:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Antimony

I have not seen this movie since my childhood, and i did not like it much because cross dressing was a big put off for me even at eight years old. It always seemed disturbing to me in childhood and I personally perceived these types of people in my childhood as pervy, even though the motives in this movie were anything but.

Having said that, I have a very good memory, and remember laughing at that line because I had seen so many gangster movies with drive by even at that age like menace to society, boys in the hood, blood in blood out and several others. Going strictly by my memory, I recall him saying "it was a drive by fruiting". In fact when they would run a commerical for the movie when it would play, that was one of the more common scenes/lines played in the commercial.

Reruns would typically play (back then) on like USA, TNT, WGN, and some other channels I forgot. This was all in the Tampa, Fl market. I practically grew up on TV and movies when I was not outside living a free range childhood.

posted on May, 6 2023 @ 12:03 AM
link   

I have experienced many of them...I am not super familiar with this one as I haven't seen the movie in yover a decade. But I have experienced many many many others.

ETA: They frustrate the f#&* out of me...I would love to know who broke time...cause you dont mess with time!
edit on 6-5-2023 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2023 @ 12:10 AM
link   

posted on May, 6 2023 @ 12:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem

Yeah I know but I swear it was "drive-by fruiting" because it sounds like "drive-by shooting" and that makes sense and maybe that is the crux of the issue. Maybe mine and other people's minds changed this line in our memory to something that made sense because "run-by fruiting" seems kind of nonsensical.

I don't know.

posted on May, 6 2023 @ 12:58 AM
link   
First thing that came to mind was that it was changed so the younger generations new to the film wouldn't be exposed to the concept of drive bys because they're learning more from movies than they are in schools and they're memory holeing past references to violent activities so kids don't get any ideas.

posted on May, 6 2023 @ 02:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: GENERAL EYES
First thing that came to mind was that it was changed so the younger generations new to the film wouldn't be exposed to the concept of drive bys because they're learning more from movies than they are in schools and they're memory holeing past references to violent activities so kids don't get any ideas.

That is a good theory that I did look into because I have an old VHS copy that I checked when I realized I thought the line had "changed" but it is the same in the VHS. "run-by fruiting."

However I did find this:

On Friday, director Chris Columbus revealed that an R-rated version of the beloved 1993 comedy “Mrs. Doubtfire” exists – though there is not a NC-17 cut of the film.

The confirmation first came from Entertainment Weekly following a viral tweet that noted Robin Williams, who played the eponymous Euphegenia Doubtfire, improvised so much that there were PG, PG-13, R and NC-17 cuts of the film. The official film is rated PG-13.

variety.com...#!

However the article goes on to say the R-Rated version has never been released and that the director of the movie was going to make a documentary including some of those scenes. There are a lot of deleted scenes from the movie so I am trying to find a DVD copy that has the deleted scenes to check there.

posted on May, 6 2023 @ 02:47 AM
link   
The different ratings versions were probably just because of eff bombs and other profanity more than anything.
And now I have to accept that I may have simply remembered it wrong, after all I don't think I have seen it in nearly twenty years.

A VHS copy would certainly verify it.

posted on May, 6 2023 @ 03:14 AM
link   
This is one we quoted at our house frequently. "Drive by fruiting" is what we remembered it as because, as said, it was a play on "drive by shooting" which was on the news a lot back then. I cannot remember if we saw this movie at the theater, dvd, or vhs. I wonder if the trailer could have been using different takes than the movie itself? I remember seeing the trailer A LOT!

posted on May, 6 2023 @ 03:37 AM
link   
a reply to: JourneyAbout

Ok holdnup, I think we can draw a safe conclusion just from the replies we have had so far. I remember drive by in the commercials, but I only assume it is what was saidin the movie right now. Now knowing there were so many cuts, could it simply be possible that during post production and editing, different cuts were used for the commercials/trailers and another line for the actual final cut??

I have actually seen this in modern movies, and I forgot one from the last few years that I was upset what I saw in a trailer was not even in the movie. I wish I could remember what movie it was that did it because I recall being quite dissatisfied that a scene in th trailer was notnin the movie I watched.

Perhaps it is just a case of something similar??

posted on May, 6 2023 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Lots of movies back then used deleted or missing scenes or would just film nonsense for the promo. The idea is commercials gave away too much.

IIRC every ad I ever saw said drive by, but I remember having a weird thought when watching the movie where the ad didn't match the movie.

Mind you, I never watched the movie it was just playing so often I saw the scene at least a few times. It was put on at least a couple times in school so I had to see it. Not my choice

Many ads for many movies, especially in the VHS era, dont match the final production, but having seen this scene more in advertising than the actual movie is imo playing tricks on the memory.

edit on 1234567 by 85303 because: Spelling

posted on May, 6 2023 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Drive by fruiting is what the mind wants to hear because it's a familiar phrase and makes sense in the context of the movie. But it's always been run by fruiting. Just an example of how many of our memories are incorrect and wrongly remembered.

Mandela effect is just an urban myth.

posted on May, 6 2023 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Was alway a drive by fruiting.

A run by fruiting makes little to no sense in the US context.

posted on May, 6 2023 @ 10:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: vlawde
Drive by fruiting is what the mind wants to hear because it's a familiar phrase and makes sense in the context of the movie. But it's always been run by fruiting. Just an example of how many of our memories are incorrect and wrongly remembered.

Perhaps you could explain the "urban myth" concerning Rodin's sculpture, The Thinker?

Rodin, himself, said, "What makes my Thinker think is that he thinks not only with his brain, with his knitted brow, his distended nostrils and compressed lips, but with every muscle of his arms, back, and legs, with his clenched fist and gripping toes."

As a 7th grader in Art Appreciation class, long ago, I sketched The Thinker, with his CLENCHED FIST under his chin.

Several years ago, The Thinker statue changed, and had his hand pressed against his forehead.

Three or four years ago, The Thinker statue changed AGAIN, this time with his hand back under the chin, but with no CLENCHED FIST!!

So, If YOUR theory is correct, and MY MEMORY is INCORRECT or WRONGLY REMEMBERED, did the CREATOR of the statue MISREMEMBER?

Or, more likely, people like YOU are just not intelligent enough to notice DISCREPANCIES.

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 07:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: JFredMuggs

originally posted by: vlawde

Perhaps you could explain the "urban myth" concerning Rodin's sculpture, The Thinker?

Rodin, himself, said, "What makes my Thinker think is that he thinks not only with his brain, with his knitted brow, his distended nostrils and compressed lips, but with every muscle of his arms, back, and legs, with his clenched fist and gripping toes."

As a 7th grader in Art Appreciation class, long ago, I sketched The Thinker, with his CLENCHED FIST under his chin.

Several years ago, The Thinker statue changed, and had his hand pressed against his forehead.

Three or four years ago, The Thinker statue changed AGAIN, this time with his hand back under the chin, but with no CLENCHED FIST!!

So, If YOUR theory is correct, and MY MEMORY is INCORRECT or WRONGLY REMEMBERED, did the CREATOR of the statue MISREMEMBER?

Or, more likely, people like YOU are just not intelligent enough to notice DISCREPANCIES.

If you asked more or less anyone who remembers the statue to strike the pose they would ALWAYS have their fist clenched under their chin, because that is how it was. If physical objects like this can change then we have to accept that we live in a simulation.

If we don’t live in a simulation then countless millions are misremembering an awful lot of things.

top topics

join