It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Land ownership makes no sense

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2023 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: 38181

Property taxes suck for sure.

Owning several acres, and every year property taxes go up because of morons from Cali moving in jacking up prices. Then the requirements of having property insurance in case one dip squirt decides to wander through and get hurt.

Yeah it makes no sense anymore unless there’s a direct ROI. Selling it is soon gonna be a bigger because people aren’t going to be afford that 18% mortgage soon to come.

From the article:

In an example reported by The Wall Street Journal, a vacant lot in Austin, Texas, pays about half the property taxes per acre as the apartment building nearby. Under a land-value tax, both properties would pay the same amount in tax for using the same amount of land. The benefit of this system is that improving the land is incentivized, since it increases the landlord’s revenues but doesn’t increase their tax burden, while merely holding land for speculation is disincentivized, which frees it up for others. Land-value taxes have been credited with reducing vacant buildings in Harrisburgh, Pennsylvania, by nearly 90 percent.

Unless you're exploiting the land, you can't afford the land.

posted on May, 5 2023 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Moon68

Wring our hands, grumble, but ultimately nothing out of fear of being called a name?

posted on May, 5 2023 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: oddscreenname

Oh yeah, muh "eminent domain". Lol get off my lawn.

posted on May, 5 2023 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Narvasis

Imagine that. 🤣

posted on May, 5 2023 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Land ownership makes no sense

It only makes "no sense" if one puts man-made dollars above and before our God-given natural right to a piece of earth to live and make a living from the natural bounty of the earth.

It would make far more sense to ban ALL foreign ownership, restrict corporate ownership to commercial property, and prioritize owner-occupied residential ownership.

posted on May, 5 2023 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: 38181

Property taxes suck for sure.

Agreed. Property taxes are a big issue where I live. It's rural but along the ocean so highly sought after but the truth is other than a thin strip of people along the water the rest of us live in dense trees. I have ocean and mountain views that I can't see but pay for. We have virtually no services and yet the property assessments went up 44% last year, consequently so will the taxes. I noticed during the pandemic that our tax authority here had plenty enough money for shiny ads on facebook and youtube which I thought was rather odd since we have to pay up anyhow and they have nothing to sell. I suspect hush money went out to all government departments and they had to spend some of it foolishly.

Problem I see is that the elderly will be forced out of their homes if the taxes get too high. Sure, they have a deferment program once you are 65 but what a scam if you have to keep deferring to keep your home and the taxes rise by the likes of 44% a year. It's like you work your butt off all your life to secure a home and the government comes up with a way to ensure you don't pass any benefit of inheritance off to your kids.

There was a time when I was young that I wanted to go hunter gatherer but truthfully few people can do it alone and need a like minded community which leads to more modern problems.

Sorry, this turned into my mini rant but I had a hard time scraping up property tax in the past so I'm getting concerned about the increases especially as I get older and so do my joints and muscles so work gets all the more hard.

posted on May, 5 2023 @ 02:03 PM
link   

I can't believe an acre of land in New York is only selling for $2800. If you find an acre down here in Louisiana for $15000 then you're hitting the jackpot.

posted on May, 5 2023 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

It only makes "no sense" if one puts man-made dollars above and before our God-given natural right to a piece of earth to live and make a living from the natural bounty of the earth.

It would make far more sense to ban ALL foreign ownership, restrict corporate ownership to commercial property, and prioritize owner-occupied residential ownership.

Which god says you have a right to land?

Making money of the land leads to commercial ownership. The second a farmer forms an LLC for their farm that makes it commercial or a young couple starts selling baked goods from their house. What is the limit? The number of corporations that exist today that started as someone selling from their garage or shed is more than zero.

posted on May, 5 2023 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

According to that one source I posted. But it's the average for the state not necessarily the city.

posted on May, 5 2023 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Which god says you have a right to land?

Are you not familiar with Natural Law as the foundation of our Republic? And the Natural Rights, endowed by our Creator (aka God), including life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness?

Just as the sun shines on everyone and the rains rain on everyone, we all have the same Natural Right to the earth's bounty to live and to make a living.

Making money of the land leads to commercial ownership.

Yes, properties can be both a home and a business for the owners. Very practical and economical. This dual purposing is also quite efficient and leaves more land for others.

The second a farmer forms an LLC for their farm that makes it commercial or a young couple starts selling baked goods from their house. What is the limit?

Um... whatever and however much they can handle without hurting anyone.

Do note that not all commercial enterprises are incorporated. Corporations are man-made legal entities that benefit from privileges, advantages and entitlements granted by government. Very big difference.

The number of corporations that exist today that started as someone selling from their garage or shed is more than zero.

Yes, it is more than zero.

10 Billion Dollar Companies that Started as Home Businesses

Not everyone who works from home wants to be a corporation, much less a billion dollar corporation. Many people make a good living working out of their home.

posted on May, 5 2023 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: oddscreenname
a reply to: Elton

It sounds like jealousy turned into policy. You have something I don't and the ability to get it so I need to change the rules in my favor

That is exactly what you are arguing for.

Why should I spend a long, hard season carefully producing food in a garden for myself and my family only to have you come along and take it for yourself because "it makes no sense for you to own that"?

I find this especially specious if you lift not one finger in the effort to produce any for yourself.

posted on May, 5 2023 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

I can't believe an acre of land in New York is only selling for $2800. If you find an acre down here in Louisiana for $15000 then you're hitting the jackpot.

$350,000 + out here in Florida.

posted on May, 5 2023 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Your Georgism would deprive local government of the current high taxes they use to fund their favorite lefty eco-tard dingbat idea of the day.

Utimately, someone always owns the land, if not an individual, then it would be government, aka Communism.
And we all know when government controls anything, political considerations always overrule effeicient rule of the asset or the land.

The Holomodor is a perfect example.
Concentrating ownership in the fewer hands of governement is a recipe for disaster, as proved again and again by History.

The only REAL argument against land ownership is JEALOUSY.
My response to that is :
GROW UP !!
STOP WHINING LIKE A CHILD !!
GET OFF YOUR ASS AND WORK AND YOU TOO WILL BE ABLE TO AFFORD PROPERTY.
edit on 5-5-2023 by M5xaz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2023 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: oddscreenname
a reply to: Elton

It sounds like jealousy turned into policy. You have something I don't and the ability to get it so I need to change the rules in my favor

Why should I spend a long, hard season carefully producing food in a garden for myself and my family only to have you come along and take it for yourself because "it makes no sense for you to own that"?

I find this especially specious if you lift not one finger in the effort to produce any for yourself.

Reflects the toxic entitlement mentality of the Left.
Like AOC's original green new deal text calling for income for those that don't feel like working...

posted on May, 5 2023 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: LizzidPepo

We should all own nothing, and be happy?

I've heard that somewhere before, not sure if I like the sounds of it. I think the main concern was for livestock grazing, I mean, do you want free range meth heads running around the farms? LOL

Ummm...well...in all reality...your just leasing your home...or land...from daddy.gov...

Try not paying your yearly rent and see if they don't come and take it...

Serf...

YouSir

posted on May, 5 2023 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Taxes are just a way to keep YOU out of rich neighborhoods. Period! Oh! And a bottomless pit of income for local government. You own nothing. Not your lawn. Your yard. Your video game. Your music. Nothing.

Soon.. Cars.
edit on CDT1305bAmerica/ChicagoFri, 05 May 2023 15:13:51 -050013 by Timber13 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2023 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Um... whatever and however much they can handle without hurting anyone.

What's the limit?

Are you not familiar with Natural Law as the foundation of our Republic? And the Natural Rights, endowed by our Creator (aka God), including life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness?

Do note that not all commercial enterprises are incorporated. Corporations are man-made legal entities that benefit from privileges, advantages and entitlements granted by government. Very big difference.

"Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. "

posted on May, 5 2023 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Oh, no, I am against Georgism. I think you misunderstand. I just hate weak arguments.

posted on May, 5 2023 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: M5xaz

Your Georgism would deprive local government of the current high taxes they use to fund their favorite lefty eco-tard dingbat idea of the day.

My Georgism? Read my first post. 🤣

The only REAL argument against land ownership is JEALOUSY.
My response to that is :
GROW UP !!
STOP WHINING LIKE A CHILD !!
GET OFF YOUR ASS AND WORK AND YOU TOO WILL BE ABLE TO AFFORD PROPERTY

One hundred percent

posted on May, 5 2023 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Interesting. There is another angle to consider here.

Farming/ranching is 24/7 job that pays poorly which is why they have to turn to undocumented workers to even profit in many cases. It's the other entities in the marketing of food that make the money. Knowing that what would be the motivation for anyone to ever do the work to produce food for anyone but themselves if they don't even own the land?

Quite frankly reality is that most humans are lazy clods who probably could not feed themselves were it not for land ownership being the motivation for farmers to produce the incredible amount of food they produce on relatively little land.

Yes, taxes mean that true ownership is not quite true, but still what we call ownership is in part why we are not like a third-world country struggling to feed itself.

An example of the outcome of state run collectives.

The Holodomor's Death Toll

The Ukrainian famine—known as the Holodomor, a combination of the Ukrainian words for “starvation” and “to inflict death”—by one estimate claimed the lives of 3.9 million people, about 13 percent of the population. And, unlike other famines in history caused by blight or drought, this was caused when a dictator wanted both to replace Ukraine’s small farms with state-run collectives and punish independence-minded Ukrainians who posed a threat to his totalitarian authority.

edit on 5/5/2023 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join