It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RIP Jerry Springer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2023 @ 12:39 PM
link   

CINCINNATI (AP) — Jerry Springer, the onetime mayor and news anchor whose namesake TV show featured a three-ring circus of dysfunctional guests willing to bare all — sometimes literally — as they brawled and hurled obscenities before a raucous audience, died Thursday at 79.

I long for a world where Jerry Springer was the edgiest, most out there entertainment on cable television.

Simpler times with some crazy people and what arguably lead to our current social wasteland.

Regardless, RIP Jerry.

Link

posted on Apr, 27 2023 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Jerry ! Jerry ! Jerry !

Springer was the originator of the many shows that followed in his wake , he was a craftsman and he knew how to put on a show.

RiP Jerry , thanks for the laughs.

posted on Apr, 27 2023 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

RIP Jerry!
You will be missed.

Your show seems wholesome now lol.

'whateva! I do what I want!'

posted on Apr, 27 2023 @ 12:56 PM
link   

I think his show played a major role in the normalizing of degeneracy in society.

When I was a teenager in the 90s lots of people my age loved his show full of trannies, scumbags, and delinquents.

It fueled the "reality show" craze that saw thousands of people debasing themselves for their 15 minutes of fame/shame.

This is what gave us the Kardashians, onlyfans, and the current tick tock generation.

It made all these previously fringe dirtbags into mainstream "successful" millionaires.

He was probably a nice guy. But his show was the beginning of the end of America.

posted on Apr, 27 2023 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

Without Jerry, I would have likely not found Gwar and Type-O Negative.

Even if Jerry never existed, the degeneracy would still have been a side show attraction and monetized. Maybe not as fast, granted but still would have come around.

The low risk, high reward culture certainly found roots on his show.

posted on Apr, 27 2023 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Wasn't Morton Downey Jr. first?

posted on Apr, 27 2023 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Never heard of him, till now.

posted on Apr, 27 2023 @ 01:20 PM
link   

I remember GWAR being on his show. But I discovered them through Beavis and Butthead.

I don't remember when I came across Type-O.
edit on 27-4-2023 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2023 @ 01:21 PM
link   

It was a profound switch from a "Donahue" format to be sure, lol.

Most of his shows were embellished if not outright scripted so it really was a litmus test of people's desire to have a steady stream of dirty laundry.

I think "Cops" and "Springer" played a major foundational role in the development and mainstreaming of reality TV.

RIP Jerry. I hope God has sense of humor or you're toast. Lol.

posted on Apr, 27 2023 @ 01:24 PM
link   

His show was done in the NYC area but I was always under the impression he was syndicated.

posted on Apr, 27 2023 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

His show was done in the NYC area but I was always under the impression he was syndicated.

Seeing his face and hearing his voice makes tons of past comedic skits and satire make sense.

posted on Apr, 27 2023 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Loved him! (for entertainment purposes)
Way better than Jerry!

posted on Apr, 27 2023 @ 03:10 PM
link   

In his own way, and for my own kids, Jerry actually provided a public service.

When my kids were in their teens, we had a "Jerry Springer Summer." We watched him every day. And I used the opportunity to talk with my kids about all the things brought up on the show, and we went off on all kinds of tangents too. I knew I couldn't protect them from the crazy in the world forever, and I figured this was a safe and effective way to address it all. Listening to their comments and reactions told me what they needed to know, and what I needed to talk about.

My kids always knew who the freaks were... who the idiots were... who the drama queens/kings were... and so on and so forth. I just filled in some blanks and rounded out the big picture. It was an experience!

Thanks, Jerry. RIP.

posted on Apr, 27 2023 @ 03:12 PM
link   

I've always told my wife when we watch his show re-runs that he only had on the best of the best graduate crisis actors for the next false flag. Because there is no possible way they were real life people.

posted on Apr, 27 2023 @ 05:41 PM
link   
"Take care of yourself and each other."

Those should have been his last words.

posted on Apr, 27 2023 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Don't think blaming the GS show is fair. All he did was scrape up the bottom feeders middle America already had but were ignoring. Of course lots was scripted but who could think up the types of dirty laundry his guests puked up?

top topics

join