It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My job

page: 1

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Apr, 14 2023 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Hi everyone. I just thought I’d post an update on my life. I previously posted but that my husband passed away November 2022. I lost his social security since I’m 58. I will be eligible for a percentage when I turn 60 in May 2024. Until then, I need to make up for some of what I lost. I was paying roughly half of that for his cost share of him being in a nursing home. So I got a job as a crossing guard to make up for the other half of that until I turn in May of 2024. I will also be eligible for my Navy Reserve pension then.

I really enjoy my crossing guard job. It’s the perfect job for me. I get to be outdoors for 1 1/2 hours a day crossing people. I have a morning shift of 50 minutes and an afternoon shift of 40 minutes. I cross everyone. I have to cross the kids, but I cross whoever I can. I have to provide a count of everyone I cross. I find that on any one given day that it’s about 50/50. So do every kid I cross, about half are adults.

The kids are wonderful. I am kind of bossy. If I tell a kid they need to walk their bicycle, they always complly. They are nice and polite about it. I dont get crap from them. I tell them once, and the are nice and polite about it. It’s the adults I have issues with. I’d say it’s about 50//50. Half of the adults are okay with it. The other half either ignore me or give me crap.

I do my best. Today, I had some push buck. One guy I told apologized and said he didn’t know. He went to the Walgreens at the corner. When he came back, he walked his bike. He looked kind of strung out and I felt bad for him. But he complied. The other guy was on a tricycle. He asked me why, and I stated him it was because of safety. He snorted at me, and did not comply. There is only so much I can do. I didn’t take it personally. To each their own.

I notice that there are quite a few mostly middle aged men that either walk or bike to either the Walgreens to buy beer or whatever or the tobacco/beer place on the other corner. I will cross anyone. I don’t care if they are adults/kids whatever. I’m not there to judge. It’s all about safety. I just want everyone to be safe, regardless of their age.

There are some regulars that I see every day. They are almost overwhelming nice. I am grateful just to have human interaction. As a widow, that is what I crave. I don’t care if the weather is crappy. I know how to dress for the weather. I just want everyone to be happy and safe. I know many about are fighting battles. I’m not the only one. I try to be kind regardless.

posted on Apr, 14 2023 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I am very sorry for your loss. I always wished I had some magic words to comfort, but unfortunately, there are none. My heart is with you for your loss.

That's a great job! My mom did that when I was in elementary school. She made a huge impact on a lot of kids lives. Even though they were always brief encounters. She was able to help some kids along the way. People I grew up with still remember her and that cross walk, and the ways she nurtured them, and protected them to this day. So, you've got quite the role and opportunity there. I commend you! Thanks for the contribution to our children's lives.

posted on Apr, 14 2023 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ChiefD

I bet you have a unique personality. Being diligent and conscientious about anything seems rare to me nowadays. Especially if people are so self-involved(or worse self-important) that they forget to make room in the world for others.

I don't know if it's been said, but thank you.

I'm very happy to hear the kids are mostly good with you. It doesn't seem around here that that is something you can expect, but I think that has to do with our local population density and culture. But truthfully, it's people like you who actually 'make' culture. Those kids will remember you, even if only distantly, and will have learned, from you, that you can care... and you can be important - without being a president, a star, or some kind of 'look at me personality.'

I would hope that people I care about would be fortunate enough to cross at your corner... because I would feel it safer.

Bless you!

posted on Apr, 14 2023 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Being outdoors and not trapped in an office, is probably one reason I looked forward to doing jobs where I drove to meet customers or clients. As long you produced your goals you could basically schedule your day and week however you wanted to. I'd routinely get up early drive 3-4 hours to meet a client as early as possible try and work 2-3 more in the area, as late as need be, and drive home and do the routine going in a different direction the next day. Even more so after my divorce when missing my kids just about drove me bugchit those first months. 15 years later after my father passed, I left my indoor job just because doing the same routine at that time would have worn me out. I went and worked for a much smaller company just for that earlier flexibility, it definitely helped me recenter.

You got to stay busy, outdoor jobs are the best though, can't be locked indoors unless it's a super dynamic environment.

Ive painted indoors and out, done landscape, lawn care, Terminex, etc all because whenever I had a cubicle job, I smoked heavily, drank heavily, and was generally miserable.

Terminex termite inspector was perfect too, with new houses and businesses to crawl through every day most months you could work 6 days a week 7 to 7.

The crossing guard sounds perfect for you right now, but FWIW you are seriously a good candidate for lots of jobs now, corporations and even smaller businesses love quality people they can count on 24/7.

You could get so busy and do so well that your Navy pension could be your fun money.

posted on Apr, 14 2023 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Good to hear that you're out and about and keeping those punks in line (I mean the adults).

I like that you specified that you're bossy too.

God Bless ya CD, stay strong!

edit on 4/14/2023 by MykeNukem because: 🍻

posted on Apr, 14 2023 @ 11:55 PM
link   
On this side of the pond we call it a lollypop lady due to the fact that you have to carry a pole with a big round sign on it hence the name Chief , As a kid when we were asked what job we wanted to do by our career teachers at school that is the job that a suprising number of kids choose because you do not start work here until you were 65 lol .

posted on Apr, 15 2023 @ 02:37 AM
link   

You're what we call a heart person, this is why you derive joy from helping. I am happy to read that you are fusing with your new job and found your purpose. Now in these chaotic times even more, it's so good to see someone working to make people smile, it warms my heart.

Sadly often people do not appreciate things like this. They might not be aware in such moments, that you're only helping and not think about what it means to work there at the crossing, no matter the weather. Jobs like you do, I see more honor and value than let's say, a high tier banker.

Be proud of yourself.

posted on Apr, 15 2023 @ 03:44 AM
link   

That's one helluva work ethic!

Respect, and hope you're doing OK(whatever that means).

posted on Apr, 15 2023 @ 07:58 AM
link   

thanks for the update and it's great that you are enjoying what you do.
Keep smiling and enjoy the outdoors!

posted on Apr, 15 2023 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Thanks everyone for the replies! I truly enjoy what I do. I look forward to each day of my job. Each day is a little of the same, a little different. I like flexibility and change. I see some of the same people each day, but also some different people. I have had some wonderful (brief) conversations, and I have smiled and laughed quite a bit. Until my current job, I can’t say that I had that in so much variety. I feel that God guided me to this job. He knew I needed to get out of the house and do something where I could help others. I’m grateful that He is guiding me along the path.

I may very well do this job even after I start getting my Navy Reserve pension and my husband’s social security. I’m not the type who likes to be sitting at home all day. I like being productive and serving others. I’ve always been this way. So if I stop doing this, I will likely volunteer at our local food bank or for the Red Cross. That’s just how I roll. I feel it’s a good way to keep a young attitude.

posted on Apr, 17 2023 @ 01:02 AM
link   

I feel that God guided me to this job

I'm going to second this for you. Wanna know how I can?

Thanks everyone for the replies! I truly enjoy what I do. I look forward to each day of my job. Each day is a little of the same, a little different. I like flexibility and change. I see some of the same people each day, but also some different people. I have had some wonderful (brief) conversations, and I have smiled and laughed quite a bit. Until my current job, I can’t say that I had that in so much variety. I feel that God guided me to this job. He knew I needed to get out of the house and do something where I could help others. I’m grateful that He is guiding me along the path.

I may very well do this job even after I start getting my Navy Reserve pension and my husband’s social security.

The "proof" is always in the pudding.

Stoked you're enjoying it. Even a brief encounter can be a powerful one.

posted on Apr, 17 2023 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I'd like to come back and add this, ChiefD, if I may.

A little insight for you.

You are going to be nice to every kid you see, I'm sure. But pay a little more attention (maybe) to the quiet ones. The ones who don't seem to "run with a crowd." Or just seem bottled up. Just remember this: This may be the highlight of their day. They may not be going home to "nice." They may not even feel safe in their own homes. The only time they might actually feel "safe" is when "ChiefD" is '"protecting them" as they cross that street with you.

FYI, this is a true story. Not mine, but one I witnessed with my very own eyes. You have an opportunity with this to be more than you know to someone.
Just be you.

top topics

join