It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10G!!??

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2023 @ 07:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: infolurker

Why do these ads and articles always leave off the b?
They put the g...
but don't put the b .

LOL,

You know why. Half the people won't know the terminology.... 10G must be twice as good as 5G...

I have always said , to own a PC a user should have to pass a brief 10 question test .
But that is a huge problem in the world today .
They don't even reaiize what equipment would be needed to get that "10g"(b)
And still , that would be if 10gb is the total bandwidth or the individual throughput .
I could get a true "10g" , but that would cost.

I got 1gb for a client and had to learn about "throughput" when their router would only give them 300mbs. Technology is moving fast, so much so that 2 year old technology is becoming obsolete.

posted on Apr, 10 2023 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

They put the g...
but don't put the b .

LOL,

You know why. Half the people won't know the terminology.... 10G must be twice as good as 5G...

I have always said , to own a PC a user should have to pass a brief 10 question test .
And still , that would be if 10gb is the total bandwidth or the individual throughput .

I got 1gb for a client and had to learn about "throughput" when their router would only give them 300mbs. Technology is moving fast, so much so that 2 year old technology is becoming obsolete.

But even with a 1gb router one would have to take into fact the HDD speed and the CPU speed .
A device is only as fast as the slowest component .

posted on Apr, 10 2023 @ 08:44 AM
link   

They put the g...
but don't put the b .

LOL,

But even with a 1gb router one would have to take into fact the HDD speed and the CPU speed .
A device is only as fast as the slowest component .

exactly. In my case, the router was the bottleneck. But once you pass the 1gb threshold, you have to look at the NIC card in each machine. (as you know, since you just referenced the architecture.)

If you think about our growth, it's been exponential in that we usually double.16 becomes 32 becomes 64 becomes 128.
I am deploying Core I7's with 32gb for workstations, not long ago, that would be a monster system.

The future is wide open.

posted on Apr, 10 2023 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

That's one of the things I find funny, when people get the fastest laptop, the fastest Internet connection and then use Wi-Fi and complain about the speed.

posted on Apr, 10 2023 @ 04:08 PM
link   
yeey 5g! more cancer, depressions, weak immune sytems and sterilization in trade for faster download of movies!

posted on Apr, 10 2023 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: anticitizen
yeey 5g! more cancer, depressions, weak immune sytems and sterilization in trade for faster download of movies!

how much longer do you wish to hang around in clown world? I see this as a win-win.

posted on Apr, 10 2023 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP
a reply to: Gothmog

That's one of the things I find funny, when people get the fastest laptop, the fastest Internet connection and then use Wi-Fi and complain about the speed.

Yeah , then wonder why their social gaming suffers .

posted on Apr, 10 2023 @ 09:52 PM
link   
It gets even more confusing when you consider that transmission speed is usually expressed in bits, not bytes. A byte is made up of 8 bits and that's how many it takes for a single ASCII character (the standard upper and lowercase alphabet, numbers and punctuation). 10G-bits is really 1.25G-bytes. That's still a lot though.

posted on Apr, 11 2023 @ 01:49 AM
link   
a reply to: LogicalGraphitti

Don't forget that to transmit 8 bits there's usually some kind of error prevention, so some bits are added to confirm that no data was lost, reducing the speed of transmission of a single byte.

posted on May, 2 2023 @ 10:19 AM
link   

I am deploying Core I7's with 32gb for workstations, not long ago, that would be a monster system.

The future is wide open.

The saddest part of all of that is that most of the need for all that extra power is because of the poor design of todays modern software ... You used to be able to do almost as much, almost as fast, with a 486 desktop as you can now with a mid-spec fresh out the box laptop.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join