It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can't chose site view on phone since ATS overhaul

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2023 @ 08:11 AM
link   
That's basically it.
I used to read ATS a lot on the phone before and always have it on 'site view', because I like it like that.
Since the overhaul, even when I select site view it just shows as if it is an app, everything is in a list to scroll down. I don't like it like that.
Is this a known problem?
Please how can I get my site view back?

posted on Apr, 6 2023 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Hecate666

Click 'Recent' button and it says site is down.....as well.

posted on Apr, 6 2023 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

Oh, I had that all week and it's back now. I just don't like the layout on my phone. Before I could chose to see it as I see it on the computer. Now I am forced to see it like a phone app and can't change it.

posted on Apr, 6 2023 @ 08:37 AM
link   

I prefer the mobile view because it's easier for my failing eyesight.

However, I just tried on an Android phone, running Chrome and it switches between the two modes without issues.

What Phone/operating system/browsers do you have?

Are your Phone and browser/s up to date?

Have you cleared the browser's cookies and cache?

This should not be an ATS Server-side issue, but more about your phone/app.

edit on 6/4/2023 by Encia22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2023 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I've got android Motorola.
My browser is up to date, have cleared cache and restarted the phone.
Still the same.
It seems their server is just overriding my choice of [asking for] desktop view for some reason.
It used to work just fine.
I prefer desktop view.

Now what can I do?

posted on Apr, 6 2023 @ 10:05 AM
link   

That's strange because it should be the other way round. Normally websites are 99% designed for desktop viewing. Some webmasters provide a mobile friendly version of the site (like ATS). So, in theory, the desktop view should work 100%, whilst the mobile view can be influenced or blocked by the webmaster.

Have you tried with another browser. If you have Chrome, try downloading Firefox or Edge, or vice versa, as the case may be.

Just one other question... Where are you trying to switch views? Is it in the browser settings or in the ATS personal account settings?

This is important, because the ATS settings could be the problem.

If you haven't tried yet, try selecting "Desktop View" in your browser settings. That's where I go to switch views on my phone. I never touch the ATS settings.

posted on Apr, 6 2023 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I just posted/responded to two messages in two diff forums and neither are available. The first went through, the second said I didn't have permissions to post... So I give up.

The disappointment of writing two full responses with good information and find out that neither has posted just wears me out.

Just dont feel like commiting anymore if this is how it's going to be.

posted on Apr, 6 2023 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Timber13

No pain, no gain. It will start to get better as Darko gets to grips with the convoluted coding.

Something I started doing on ATS a long time ago was to copy and save any longish posts in plain text files. Too many times I would get time-out errors and lose my work, and that was before any maintenance work was happening.

In fact, I even started writing my posts in notepad or Google Keep first just to avoid losing anything whilst typing in the post editor.

posted on Apr, 6 2023 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Encia22

Ah, now we may be getting somewhere. It wasn't changed on ATS. Nope.
I changed it on ATS, where it said mobile version for mobile to Desktop on mobile. Then I checked and nothing had changed.
Restarting my phone right now. Lets see and cross fingers...

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, still the same.
So now I really totally changed everything to desktop. I can't do no more.
It's not listening to me. I restarted, I refreshed, I changed, and nobody does what I want.
I hate mobile view.

I want DESKTOP VIEW on my phone. NOW! Whaaaaaaaa!
😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

posted on Apr, 6 2023 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Caveating with the fact that it seems some folks tend to be having different luck with different things, on Android / Chrome I can get into desktop mode via the browsers hamburger menu.... Three dots at the top right, scroll down a bit and "Desktop site" with a checkbox next to it.

posted on Apr, 6 2023 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

Yes, exactly. That's what I tried to explain in my last post. That local browser setting should override anything else and force the desktop site.

I have the ATS setting as desktop, but my phone always defaults to the mobile view, unless I force it with the Chrome Hamburger Helper.

posted on Apr, 6 2023 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide

Caveating with the fact that it seems some folks tend to be having different luck with different things, on Android / Chrome I can get into desktop mode via the browsers hamburger menu.... Three dots at the top right, scroll down a bit and "Desktop site" with a checkbox next to it.

That is exactly what I have been doing for the last decade and it always worked. My problem is it doesn't any longer.
Since the overhaul.
I clicked it and unclicked it and clicked it again. I restarted and deleted my cookies, I updated chrome and I chose 'desktop view' on the ATS settings for mobile.

I think I have done everything I can do from my side. My laptop is ok, there it looks like always.
My phone has that stupid mobile view look and it seems I can't do anything about it.

posted on Apr, 6 2023 @ 03:29 PM
link   

I'm sorry you're having all these problems. I baffled and don't know what else to suggest except to try installing a different browser... Firefox or Edge. In the meantime, I'll do some research later tonight.

posted on Apr, 7 2023 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Ok, for the sake of science, I played around with the ATS Mobile/Desktop settings, and the results are surprising.

It appears that the settings are inverse.

So, by changing the settings like in the image below, my phone automatically displays the Desktop site (with no way of switching to mobile view through Chrome's settings).

If the settings say "Desktop", then on the phone I get the mobile view and have to force the Desktop view via Chrome's options.

Try changing your ATS settings so the label reads "Mobile" and see what happens on your phone. To swap settings all you do is click on the label and the browser should refresh to show the change.

If it works for you then we've discovered another bug in the system.

edit on 7/4/2023 by Encia22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2023 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Thanks, I did all of it already, see my posts.
No workie.
Not me.
Their server overrides my choices.

posted on Apr, 8 2023 @ 07:09 AM
link   

I'm sorry that doesn't work either. At this point I have no more ideas. All I would do is try with a different browser just to be sure the problem is at ATS 's end, excluding problems with your phone.

edit on 8/4/2023 by Encia22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2023 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Yeah good idea.
After that I'm giving up.
Thanks for all your help.

posted on Apr, 10 2023 @ 05:08 AM
link   

I still cannot access 'Recent posts' and I cannot access the philosophy and metaphysics forum.
If I click the 'Forums' button it says the site is down...
I cannot really do any navigating on the site now........so I am not bothering with ats much now.

Is there a mod or someone that sort it out?

edit on 10-4-2023 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2023 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

I just tried and that forum's link is ok from the general forums page.

Here is the link:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Have to deleted your browser's cache and cookies?

Try deleting just a week's worth, if that doesn't work then empty the whole lot.
Beware: you will be logged out of any sites that you are signed into (webmail, other forums, online shopping, etc.)

Another trick, which can't hurt, is to flush your DNS settings. If your on a PC you can easily find instructions online. For Android phones, it's hidden away. This is how to do it on Android:

Begin by opening the Chrome browser on your Android and navigating to this web address (which you can copy and paste):

chrome://net-internals/#dns

This launches a basic settings menu, which automatically navigates to the DNS section. Here, select the button that says Clear host cache. Reboot your Android when it's finished, and try browsing again.

edit on 10/4/2023 by Encia22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2023 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to: Encia22

Thank you so much for replying with solutions.
I can access everything now

top topics

<<   2 >>

join