It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The continent of Oceania WTF

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2023 @ 04:11 AM
link   
a reply to: MConnalley

That is usually the main argument whenever I enter a discussion, especially when the participants are low IQ....

Your point being?

posted on Mar, 18 2023 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Oceania is Australia and it’s surrounding areas. That’s what I learned in school in the UK around 10 years or so ago.

My parents had some books from different times which said both Australasia and Oceania. I guess the preferred term changed over time.

If I were to guess I’d say Orwell took the name Oceania from the continent. He did the same with Eurasia and Eastasia after all. Eurasia is the geographical term for Europe + Asia (it’s commonly used in relation to Russia since it’s in both continents) East Asia speaks for itself.

posted on Mar, 18 2023 @ 04:18 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Lower the sea level juat a little, like to what it was during the younger drias some 13000 years ago and sure enough there was a considerable landmass...

posted on Mar, 18 2023 @ 07:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Terpene
a reply to: ohhchongo

It's a well known fact outside the USA that for being the world police your average citizens are badly educated in geography...

But I guess that is a Mandela effect too... It's so much easier than to confront oneself having been lied to and only now realizing how little you know.

It's also easier to manipulate people into wars when they have a very limited understanding of the world around them.
you've been a good citizen

I think by now we can forgive the ignorant because it was all by design of the teachers leadership in Washington DC. Kissinger proclaimed in the 80's that the DS (not the term he used) was going to "dumb Americans down so we can bring the rest of the world up" or some such drivel.

Either way, the plan was to make people ignorant so they look stupid and can't challenge the lies the DS push. Simple as that and sad as that too.

posted on Mar, 18 2023 @ 07:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: MConnalley

It's a well known fact outside the USA that for being the world police your average citizens are badly educated in geography...

But I guess that is a Mandela effect too... It's so much easier than to confront oneself having been lied to and only now realizing how little you know.

It's also easier to manipulate people into wars when they have a very limited understanding of the world around them.
you've been a good citizen

your name is a literal reference to getting high.

Well, someone was stoned/high/buzzed when they came up with 1984 and now look at it being a guide for these DS asshats. one week it was Oceania
has always been our enemy", the next it was "Oceana has always been our friends"!

You realize terpenes are a series of chemicals like alcohols are. Not necessarily about getting high but terpenes are in Mari J wana.

I can tell people use the skunky kind of weed riding down the road with my windows up driving behind them. I have heard it is loaded with terpenes...

We used to call it getting a buzz in my College days. High is what the normies called it. Do they still say getting a buzz?

edit on 18-3-2023 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2023 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Lower the sea level juat a little, like to what it was during the younger drias some 13000 years ago and sure enough there was a considerable landmass...

Oh, so this is the PC terminology in anticipation of climate change lowering the sea level?

Most of the continents are that way because of their landmass. Australia is sometimes called an island continent, but it's still smaller than the other ones.
edit on 18-3-2023 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2023 @ 09:43 AM
link   

As far as I'm aware continents have no political representation, it's more of a comon sense thing...
it's ok to stay behind the curve of what that entails, don't expect others to adapt your pace though...

posted on Mar, 18 2023 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Terpene

When I look at the globe, the continents are land mass, not islands scattered across the ocean. Lowering the ocean to make a land mass would create a lot of continents beyond Oceania.

posted on Mar, 19 2023 @ 02:28 PM
link   
From my 1932 Encyclopaedia:

edited to add: To be fair, the same encyclopaedia does not class it as as continent, I posted the definition merely to show that the term is not new, though the extension to class it as a continent might well be.
edit on 19/3/2023 by OneBigMonkeyToo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2023 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Sounds like a troll. There is no Oceania continent.

A continent is defined as a large landmass that is whole.

This Oceania is made up of several islands, like Polynesia. so .. no. ..

posted on Mar, 23 2023 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: OneBigMonkeyToo

Exactly, it's a group of islands

posted on Jun, 17 2023 @ 10:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: ohhchongo
So Im watching random videos on my phone and on this one a guy is just walking around asking people random questions and offering money if they get it right .The question has me questioning everything

It was what continent is the most populated with multiple choice and of course Im so smart I blurted out Asia before he could list the choices

Well the choices were Asia , Europe , North America and Oceania..

I said Oceania WTF is Oceania ? Why would that be a choice ?

So I googled it and apparently half the world considers Oceania a continent . Im 50 years old, Im educated , My whole life the continents are North and South America , Europe , Asia ,Antarctica, Africa and Australia

How is it possible I have never heard of Oceania? I mean we dont use the metric system but Ive heard of that

Im pretty sure were in a different timeline , maybe

There have always been 7 continents.

North America
South America
Europe
Asia
Africa
Antarctica
Oceania / Australia

Oceania is just the general collection of everything around Australia that is not a part of Asia nor Antarctica.

So it’s a continent defined by what it isn’t more than what it is.

Oceania as a continent has been taught since at least the 1950s maybe earlier.

When I was in school in the 80s and 90s, we were both taught “Oceania, also colloquially referenced as Australia, is one of the 7 continents.”

Additionally, maps, geography books and encyclopedias from 20-30-40 years prior included Oceania in the area of Australia sometimes — but not always, because it just depended on who made the map or book. Lots of people at any point in past 70 years would have just referred to Australia one of the continents, but it leaves out a ton of land mass and people and Oceania is a better catch-all.

Nothing mysterious about this, except:

Oceania is the second least populated “continent” not the most populous. So whoever you were talking to doesn’t known anything about the population distribution on the planet:

By population

1) Asia
2) Africa
3) Europe
4) North America
5) South America
6) Oceania
7) Antarctica

By geographic size

1) Asia
2) Africa
3) North America