It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our tax dollars hard at work...but not for us

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2023 @ 04:53 PM
link   
It is no secret that the people of this great nation are being taxed to death, and beyond. Most people would be willing to acknowledge the necessity for taxes if there was something substantial to show for it. But is there anything to show for it that makes the tax burden worth while?

I was thinking about our current situation in Illinois, Cook County to be exact. We have some of the highest taxes in the country and some of the most pitiable living conditions at the same time. We have taxes upon taxes, toll booths, lotteries, legalized pot, expensive permits for everything, and we still close schools due to lack of funding, lose businesses to better tax incentives from other states, have outrageous crime statistics, and so on. All that revenue seems to disappear in a puff of smoke with nothing to show for it but a smokers cough and second hand cancer.

One of the things that has always bothered me is the idea that we send billions of dollars to other nations, many of whom don't need assistance or are enemies of the US, and we still fail to care for our own people. We have a huge homeless problem in this country, many of whom are veterans, and we do little of consequence on their behalf. We have people right here in the USA living, and more and more frequently dying, of malnutrition and exposure, ailments that are easily controlled with proper medication, substance abuse, violence, etc. And we are seemingly powerless to prevent it. Yet we somehow have the unmitigated gall to tell the world we can solve their problems if they just listen to us.

I decided to do some investigation into our foreign policies with regards to tax payer dollars. What I found was upsetting to say the least.

There are currently 195 sovereign nations on this Earth. The US sends American tax dollars to 172 of them. That is 88.2%. In 2019 (the most current year of full stats) the total was roughly 47 Billion dollars. This year the US is on track for more than 60 Billion. This does not include funds for the war effort in the Ukraine which was 76.8 Billion between Jan '22 and Jan '23.
l ink

For fiscal year 2022 we sent more than 130 Billion US tax dollars to foreign nations.
link
link

Now that doesn't seem like much when compared to the total US budget. But consider this: that 130 Billion dollars was roughly 10% of our total Federal deficit. We could slash 10% off the Federal deficit if we just stopped giving our money away! This problem compounds when you consider the deficit is one of the primary considerations in gaging tax rates. This is the equivalent of the Army paying $137 for a "manually operated impact enhancing device" (a hammer), then saying they need a bigger budget to buy bullets. The tax payer states the obvious, "If you didn't waste all that money on hammers you could afford bullets." To which the Army replies, "Yes, but then we couldn't demand a bigger budget..."
link

As absurd as it seems, this concept is more common than you might think. For example, have you ever seen someone on food stamps buying $500 worth of lobster tails and crab legs? I have. And it ticked me off big time. And what really gets me is that the only reason this is allowed to continue is because our government knows we are powerless to stop them from collecting the taxes in the first place. If we can't or won't pay they can seize our assets, our property, our homes, garnish our wages, or just put us in prison until we pay for a get-out-of-jail card.

Why plug up the holes in the bucket when you can just make more trips to the well?

This will not end well for the average American citizen.

posted on Mar, 10 2023 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

Question.

If a problem is universally acknowledged by a society yet that problem is never fixed.

It stands to reason that the problem isnt meant to be fixed.

posted on Mar, 10 2023 @ 06:40 PM
link   

First, you need to differniate between federal taxes, and local (State/county/city) taxes.

Yes, Federal taxes go to fight wars and provide aid to foreign countries.

But local taxes are responsible for fixing roads, maintaining schools, fighting crime, and the like.

Even if we were to cease foreign aid recall all our military back to our own borders, your schools would still be shuttered, your roads still full of potholes, and your cities still plagued by crime. Because these things are not the purview or purpose of federal tax dollars.

Of course, if you want to increase the amount you pay in state and local taxes, you might begin to address the lack of direct tax benefits you bemoan.

posted on Mar, 10 2023 @ 06:45 PM
link   

More for Ukraine and troops in the Middle East but not for people in Ohio affected by the largest state chemical spill.

posted on Mar, 10 2023 @ 06:50 PM
link   

All part of the 'you will own nothing and be happy' plan

posted on Mar, 10 2023 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

If a problem is universally acknowledged by a society yet that problem is never fixed.

Then, does it not stop becoming a problem any more at that point?

posted on Mar, 10 2023 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Hey, we could cut the military and do all sorts of good things for working people.

posted on Mar, 10 2023 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tebus
a reply to: JinMI

Then, does it not stop becoming a problem any more at that point?

Yes.

It becomes a voting platform.

posted on Mar, 10 2023 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Question.

I cant differentiate between meant to be and able to be fixed. I think all problems are meant to be solved one way or another. Whether a person(s) can solve them is another story.

posted on Mar, 10 2023 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mantiss2021

First, you need to differniate between federal taxes, and local (State/county/city) taxes.

Yes, Federal taxes go to fight wars and provide aid to foreign countries.

But local taxes are responsible for fixing roads, maintaining schools, fighting crime, and the like.

Even if we were to cease foreign aid recall all our military back to our own borders, your schools would still be shuttered, your roads still full of potholes, and your cities still plagued by crime. Because these things are not the purview or purpose of federal tax dollars.

Of course, if you want to increase the amount you pay in state and local taxes, you might begin to address the lack of direct tax benefits you bemoan.

That is a yes and no sort of thing. Yes, the different tax revenue go to different places. But, the overall tax burden to the tax payer is impacted by both. If the Fed had more money to aid States, States could depend less on taxing their own citizens. That $130 Billion we sent to foreign nations could have been $2.5 Billion to each and every state and we would still have something left over.

posted on Mar, 10 2023 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: vNex92

There are so many places right here in the US that could use some help but we send it all overseas. Its frustrating as hell.

posted on Mar, 10 2023 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: ancientlight

All part of the 'you will own nothing and be happy' plan

Its sure starting to look that way. It makes me mad too.

posted on Mar, 10 2023 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

We lead the world in defense spending. We spend more than the next 26 countries combined, 25 of which are our allies.

I think we have some room to cut back a bit...

posted on Mar, 10 2023 @ 09:17 PM
link   

And that old perv is going to raise taxes again.

posted on Mar, 10 2023 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Aren't you forgetting something?

If the federal government did not have a "need" for those additional tax dollars, the money would not be redistributed to the states, as you suggest;

It would not be collected from the states in the first place!

In fact, there would an irresistible sentiment to cut federal taxes in response to the realized savings.

That's how taxation works.

Do you really think either party could succeed by promoting sustained high federal taxes in the face of the public asking where all the savings are from cutting foreign aid and military spending?

posted on Mar, 11 2023 @ 01:57 PM
link   
"As absurd as it seems, this concept is more common than you might think. For example, have you ever seen someone on food stamps buying $500 worth of lobster tails and crab legs? I have. And it ticked me off big time."

Yes, we see it all the time in NJ - you should see the huge people with two carts at the local supermarket - buying up all the best meats and steaks and sneering at us, the working class people busily funding their free lifestyles.
Better yet, the family on public assistance a few doors down (who don't speak English), are fat and happy with their new furniture and a Hummer in the driveway.
When those living on my dollar are living way better than my family, I want to know why!

posted on Mar, 11 2023 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I have to tell you all that here in NJ, the greed is sickening.
The state lottery started out for years once a day, at 8:00 pm.
Then it went to twice a day, at 1:00 pm and 8:00 pm.
Now it is 1:00 pm and 11:00 pm - so that more of us can spend our money for 3 more hours for the next drawing.
Meanwhile, our taxes are going sky high and rents average $2,500 - $3,000 and more.

posted on Mar, 11 2023 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Mantiss2021

That is a very myopic view.

There are no real savings. Cutting bills is still paying, not receiving. So they stop giving our money to foreign interests. That doesn't mean they suddenly have a surplus or that federal taxes are no longer required.

I spoke in regards to a specific segment of tax dollar disbursement that could and should be avoided in the best interests of the tax payers. It was not meant as a macro-view of the entire US economy.

posted on Mar, 11 2023 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: RonnieJersey

I hear ya loud and clear. Its very real and its sickening. Just as you said, the people collecting all these benefits, who supposedly cant survive without them, are driving newer cars and eating better than my family ever did. My car is 17 years old and I keep it together as best I can. I am fixed income now but I am also white and conservative. There is no help coming to pay my bills or give me free cable tv and a free cell phone. But I am glad my tax dollars can provide a new car and cable tv and a new cell phone to someone else. Its not like I could use any of those things...

new topics

top topics

join