It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Salvage of the U.S.S. Lafayette

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2023 @ 07:34 PM
link   
A real nice slice of history recorded here, presumably by the US Navy. Recovering this ship was a marvel of tech at the time. I would have thought that scuba tech was better then but I guess not, as seen in the video. The amount of work to dredge up a ship that was scrapped is amazing and so very dangerous. Just watch the bloody video, it's got some great stuff in it.

During the Second World War, Normandie was seized by U.S. authorities at New York and renamed USS Lafayette. In 1942, while being converted to a troopship, the liner caught fire and capsized onto her port side and came to rest, half submerged, on the bottom of the Hudson River at Pier 88 (the site of the current New York Passenger Ship Terminal). Although salvaged at great expense, restoration was deemed too costly and she was scrapped in October 1946.[8]

posted on Feb, 23 2023 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Footage of the capsized ship was used in the Alfred Hitchcock movie, Saboteur.

a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

posted on Feb, 24 2023 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Groover

I don't know why but the only Hitchcock flick I've ever seen is Psycho. Never even seen The Birds. Did watch his tv show in the '70's. The one where the lady kills her husband with a leg of lamb and then cooks it and serves it to the cops was great.

join