It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Effect Would a Nuclear World War-III Have on Earth's Orbit Around the Sun.?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2023 @ 04:53 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Oh for sure ...spaced based weapons would have been around for quite some time

posted on Feb, 23 2023 @ 05:04 AM
link   

A negligible effect would be my bet.

posted on Feb, 23 2023 @ 06:00 AM
link   

The Chile 8.8 earthquake was way more powerful than any nukes and it only shortened the earth's rotation by about 1 millionth of a second.

www.altergroup.com...

I doubt a nuclear war would have any effect on the earth's rotation.

posted on Feb, 23 2023 @ 07:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
If there was a World War-III NUCLEAR war, would the huge detonations jar the Earth out of its current orbit?

No, for many reasons, some of which have already been explained...

Didn't you see 'Armageddon'?

ATS doesn't allow time-stamped youtube links, so fast forward to the 2:46 mark:

We could lose mass, causing the Earth to either orbit closer to the Sun, or farther away from the Sun.

Lose mass how?

No, the worst case would be we trigger some kind of chain reaction that cause all of the super volcanoes around the world to go off all at once and the planet explodes (or just causes enough fallout that it wipes out all life)...

posted on Feb, 23 2023 @ 07:24 AM
link   

a reply to: RickyD
I keep envisioning these scenes from space travel movies, and Star Trek, where nothing but huge asteroids are orbiting a sun where a planet was, before their "final" World War.

Sure, but the destruction of the planet is a far cry from 'changing the orbit'.

An excellent sci-fi novel that includes the discovery that our own asteroid belt is the remnants of another planet - Minerva - that existed but was destroyed around 50,000 years ago during a cataclysmic world nuclear war - and it turned out that we - modern day humans - were actually from that planet, and we got here as a rag-tag remnant of people that were on the moon when the war happened. The moon - our moon - that was circling Minerva at the time (not Earth), but fell out of orbit and was captured by Earth (this explains a lot of anomalous upheavals that occurred at the time).

If anyone is interested it is called "The Giants" novels (giants refers to an alien species called the Ganymeans), by Paul Hogan.

Highly recommended...

posted on Feb, 23 2023 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Greetings ATS Members!

Please read the following explanation of why the Earth stays in orbit around the Sun...

The Earth is "falling" around the Sun.

The Earth has some initial momentum - it is moving in a direction, which is perpendicular to the direction of the Sun from the Earth.

The Sun's gravity is enough to keep the Earth from flying off in a straight line, away from the Sun, but not enough to bring the Earth closer in.

The Earth is continually changing its direction of movement, but in such a way that it follows a nearly circular path around the Sun.

If the Sun's gravity were stronger, it would pull the Earth in closer, but then the angle between the Earth's motion would also be changing more rapidly, so it would continue revolving around the Sun.
Source: scienceline.ucsb.edu...

QUESTIONS:

If there was a World War-III NUCLEAR war, would the huge detonations jar the Earth out of its current orbit?

We could lose mass, causing the Earth to either orbit closer to the Sun, or farther away from the Sun.

Either would be catastrophic for whatever life survives, wouldn't it?

-CareWeMust

Have you been watching "Crack In The World" again?

posted on Feb, 23 2023 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

watch this pretty scary fact-based nuclear scenario
FWIW my bug out spot better have well deep underground bunker

I watched it briefly. Depressing, isn't it? I think once we realize that other non-Earth intelligent life exists, we (humankind) won't even think about nuking ourselves out of existence....evoking pity from other (smarter) species.

If you observed this planet from afar would you want to vacation here?

Hell the space garbage alone I used to think we were the galaxy's Cleveland but now I think at best we are its trailer park and landfill

posted on Feb, 23 2023 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

There was nuclear test that theoretically the USA accidently launched the first manmade object into space two months before Sputnik.

While the weight change of the Earth made by this is very, very tiny, it has been done.

posted on Feb, 23 2023 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: LABTECH767

Think about it like this, while an explosion in the surface of the earth or it's atmosphere may have an affect upon the centre of gravity for the planet it would not do much for it's actually orbital pathway.

However if that explosion is sufficiently powerful to send material at above the escape velocity of the earth into space (the escape velocity not being in this sense to put it into orbit but to actually send it out into space) then that would have a tiny affect, even launching something like Voyager had this affect but it was so small, so negligible as to be of no concern.

Even space material raining down onto the earth has the potential to affect it's orbit but for something to really affect the earth it would have to be so large as to likely be enough to kill all life on the surface of the planet anyway.

I would therefore not worry too much.

Now if we ever crack the anti gravity problem then we may have to start to worry though that would provide both a danger and a solution to that danger as well as providing us with the ability to move the planet, even the sun or the entire solar system should we ever have the need to do so BUT by that time we will likely have left the nest if we still exist OR have split into a new civilization based off world and an earth bound one that will stay on the planet.

Basically it would require a huge amount of energy, a nuclear explosion even the soviet tsar bomba that was the largest nuclear explosion in history though the soviets actually had plans to make one many thousands of times more powerful even than that in there original doomsday weapon plan for a floating ship sized nuclear bomb that would sail the coasts of the soviet union with sensors to detect if a nuclear attack had taken place and then detonated spewing enough radioactive waste and poison into the atmosphere to kill almost all life on earth would not have really affected the planets orbit that much if at all.

No the danger is not changing it's orbit around the sun but other changes to it such as altering the earth's rotation, slowing or speeding it up and indeed even affecting it's axis but the main orbital pathway of the planet and moon system around the sun would likely not be affected above anything other than a negligible level if that.

Slowing or speeding up the Earth's rotation would alter our orbital distance from SOL, according to what I've been reading in this thread.

Also, your point about "ejecting earth material into space" would make the Earth weigh less, thereby changing our orbital distance, as well.

posted on Feb, 23 2023 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

A negligible effect would be my bet.

Unless we SLOW the Earth's rotation by jarring it so much. It's amazing how "precise" everything works together, just to keep us at the right distance, for life to continue.

Scary in a way.

What if a Black Hole comes past and "tugs" the Earth 10,000 miles closer or further from the Sun?

posted on Feb, 23 2023 @ 03:08 PM
link   

A rogue black hole passing through our star system could do it depending on the mass, size, and proximity.

But we would probably feel the effects of such long before the Earth's orbit changed.

Via the ring of fire volcanoes that string the planet blowing their tops and shooting their load.

As to us slowing the Earth's rotation via nukes, I'm just not seeing it comparatively speaking they are fireworks.

Your talking about us affecting celestial mechanics carewemust which is currently far beyond our ability to manipulate far as I'm aware.
edit on 23-2-2023 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2023 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

We probably can't bring on an ICE AGE or cause GLACIERS TO MELT either. It's just we humans thinking we're more powerful than we really are.

posted on Feb, 23 2023 @ 03:31 PM
link   

If that's happening through, whether or not man is responsible or otherwise.

We still need to deal with the effects and attempt to mitigate the damage, changes, and circumstance the earth may bring about to our respective societies.

Our Earth moves in epochs after all.

And technically we are still living through the "Pleistocene" era which has been going on for the past about 2.5 million years or thereabouts.

posted on Feb, 23 2023 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I don' think anything we do will have that much of an effect on a planet, ours or otherwise. I always thought it was a bit arrogant for human beings to assume we have that much influence over anything, save for the weak minded lemmings of our own species.

posted on Feb, 24 2023 @ 06:16 AM
link   
This thread has nothing but speculation and an article from a .edu source unrelated to it to pretend it has some merit. Peak derp

reply to: carewemust

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 08:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel
I don' think anything we do will have that much of an effect on a planet, ours or otherwise. I always thought it was a bit arrogant for human beings to assume we have that much influence over anything, save for the weak minded lemmings of our own species.

Sept 13, 2023

Update... CLIMATE CHANGE is a bigger danger to human-kind than Nuclear War.

Source: www.breitbart.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join