It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Animal antibiotics no longer available OTC

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2023 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

For those who are more pharmacy minded, Jase Medical is on all the prepper channels.

jasemedical.com...

That was easy. I'm prescribed and good to go. Thank you much.

posted on Feb, 19 2023 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

Thank you for posting this.

posted on Feb, 19 2023 @ 09:57 PM
link   
This is going to play hell with the aquarium hobby. Most treatments for your fish can only be purchased OTC because you can't get a vet to see them - what are you going to do? Bag a sick fish and stress it worse to try getting it in to a clinic?

And while there are fish that are very pricey (I had a show male cichlid that would have run around $100 by himself at one point that I raised from an $8 fry, and that was a "cheap" species), it's still not worth taking them to the vet for what is otherwise an OTC situation.

I bought goat dewormer from the local farm supply store and treated my tanks. With fish, you are looking at treating volume, not a body. So you have to buy a quantity to be diluted in volume.

posted on Feb, 19 2023 @ 11:42 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

For the most part in this OP, "fish" is extremely generic. Misleading even. Which is why, for a rather shocking moment, I couldn't figure out what kind of unholy Munchausen syndrome was being perpetrated on some poor child you bought for $8!

edit on 19-2-2023 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2023 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: The GUT

Yes, but I am talking reality.

In the actual hobby, OTC antibiotics and dewormers are often the only recourse you have if you have expensive fish.

posted on Feb, 20 2023 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Yes, but I am talking reality.

In the actual hobby, OTC antibiotics and dewormers are often the only recourse you have if you have expensive fish.

I used to have a saltwater tank, about 15 years in fact. Luckily we had a large animal store in close proximity with a decent informed owner....long before the net was a common thing.

Fish and many animals don't have long between showing signs of disease and then death. You're lucky if you have 24 hours. And the rate of contamination in your tank or facility can be sky high. Having a med tank is good but it's usually too late by the time you notice you have a problem.

I will say that proper quarantine of new additions and averting stress is a big factor in the fish and animal world.

posted on Feb, 20 2023 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea
The solution is to teach people the proper use and protocols for these medications. Teach people about proper dosing and administration, as well as the risks, the adverse side effects to watch for, and contraindications with other medications and substances. Much like doctors do every time they prescribe a medication, and the pharmacist fills the medication.

People are not stupid. People don't want to harm their pets and livestock. People can learn and do for themselves and not have to jump through unnecessary hoops.

Actually we humans are stupid, emotional beings who do harm to ourselves on a regular basis because we think we are smart. Perhaps our worst flaw is thinking we know everything.

edit on 2/20/2023 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2023 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

Actually we humans are stupid, emotional beings who do harm to ourselves on a regular basis because we think we are smart. Perhaps our worst flaw is thinking we know everything.

True to a point. The opposite end of that is to be so unsure of oneself that we capitulate our minds to a world that is so often wrong, incompetent, often doesn't care, and certainly aren't walking in our shoes.

posted on Feb, 20 2023 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

So I have a $1000 Gem tang that has come down with Ich/Crypto or some parasites even a fungal infection . I will now have to pull the fish to the vet or will it be like the med pot cards my fish has a back problem and needs to sleep ?
edit on 20-2-2023 by Ravenwatcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2023 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

I disagree. People are capable of learning very well when given the chance.

But even if I agreed, then all the more reason people need to be taught what they don't know, especially when they don't know they don't know, and need to know.

ETA: And, yes, we do need to know how to nurture and nurse our bodies, and those dependent upon us -- children, the elderly, and pets.
edit on 20-2-2023 by Boadicea because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2023 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Ravenwatcher

I have no idea what med's are impacted by this. It's not my thread so I've not looked up the actual language of the regulations.

posted on Feb, 20 2023 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

A person who has convinced themselves they actually do know it all is a danger to themselves more than to others.

One of the signs of a person reaching maturity is their ability to admit how little they actually know.

posted on Feb, 20 2023 @ 07:49 PM
link   

a reply to: Boadicea

A person who has convinced themselves they actually do know it all is a danger to themselves more than to others.

This is very very true.

One of the signs of a person reaching maturity is their ability to admit how little they actually know.

Also very very true.

I read a quote earlier today with a similar sentiment to the effect that one of the signs of intelligence is the ability to wonder about that you don't know because you're intelligent enough to know what you do not know.

But (as a society) we've become accustomed to being taken care of and thinking that we're being served. No one is expected to know how to take care of themselves, their people, their pets, their things. People are expected to let someone else do it. Increasingly, people are required to let someone else do it. It makes us weak and dependent on others. And no one has a greater stake in my best interests than I do... or your best interests than you do...

The less we teach people -- especially life skills -- the more power government has. A free society demands independent and self-sufficient people, and that requires know-how and skills.

posted on Feb, 20 2023 @ 09:23 PM
link   

From your source...

To ensure continued effective use in humans and animals the US Food and Drug Administration Center for Veterinary Medicine has developed a 5-year Veterinary Stewardship Plan designed to slow the emergence of antimicrobial resistance that can arise from the misuse of antibiotics in animals while ensuring safe and effective use of medically important antibiotics in animals and humans. Many antibiotics are medically important to both human and animal health. The intent of this legislation is to ensure that these drugs are used under veterinary supervision, reducing the chance for development of antimicrobial resistance to these drugs in both humans and animals.

You sort of skipped over the reason for it.

However, I haven't experienced any noticeable change when I have used them.

Do you use them often enough to know that? How can you know that without a long study involving many people and conducted by qualified people?

The overuse of antibiotics is a well-known issue. It makes sense they would see a need to control that by making them only available with the approval of licensed, qualified people. Drug resistance is a very serious matter.

I agree drug resistance is serious but wanted to add that I think the antibiotics do last longer than labeled when stored properly.

Here in canada they pulled all these meds from the farm stores a couple years ago. I have a long expired bottle of penicillin that I've used for my rabbits a couple times over the years if they get bad foot sores. Some breeds are prone to it. I probably got that bottle about five years ago from someone else who never used it and it was expired then. It doesn't work as well as it used to but it has still saved a few lives. Vets here are a ridiculous price. I get that they train for years but with small food animals they aren't worth enough like a pet or large livestock so we learn to treat them the best we can. If it were just a vet appointment it would even be ok but they want to test this, that and the next thing and it isn't practical when I've had upward of two hundred rabbits in the past and they are only seeing one.

Just my two cents on the longevity of one particular drug that has to be kept refrigerated and is said to have a particularly short active life.

posted on Feb, 20 2023 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Thanks for the info on icelandic sheep. I've been thinking of getting sheep again, maybe next year and they sound a little more like what I'm looking for.

posted on Feb, 20 2023 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Fish tank Amoxocillan is the same as is made for human consumption from the same factory in the same dosages. That's a broad-spectrum antibiotic. which they will be withdrawing from over-the-counter sales shortly, it lasts for ages as well.

posted on Feb, 22 2023 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: igloo

I think all drugs last longer than the date given on the bottles. As I understand it that date is the point at which it is not as effective.

posted on Feb, 22 2023 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Halfswede

Yer stupid smart.

I have been reading so much about covid # lately and also doctors and I don't trust the system anymore mate.

And my annual is coming up soon.

His last question was 'do you want the covid vaccine'?

I wonder what he will say now, how a year or two later he was kinda bragging how he jabbed his two kids.

God help us.

Literally.

<< 1   >>

join