It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Animal antibiotics no longer available OTC

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2023 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Although this info came out some time ago, I recently heard a small statement on the radio the other day and thought I would pass the info along. Please forgive if already posted.

As of June 11, 2023, all medically important antibiotics in dosage forms such as injectable, intramammary and boluses, approved for use in animals — both food-producing and companion — will no longer be available over the counter.

In light of the message, I have purchased more antibiotics to pad my stock. Some more educated than me may claim that the strength can either diminish or increase. However, I haven't experienced any noticeable change when I have used them.

Seeing how times can change so quickly, it's good to have backups if you are able. Below is a link regarding the topic. It may not be ALL antibiotics for animal use but like I said, things seem to change rather quickly and if you think you might want to add to your own personal stock before you are unable to cheaply and easily do so, it might be a good time to increase your stores. By the way, this becomes effective in June 2023. There are many reputable, local (within the USA) companies to purchase from so going international may be risky and unfruitful.

www.canr.msu.edu...#:~:text=The%20next%2 0steps%20in%20this,be%20available%20over%20the%20counter.

posted on Feb, 19 2023 @ 04:06 PM
link   
What do you recommend for a wellrounded kit? Thanks!

posted on Feb, 19 2023 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

From your source...

To ensure continued effective use in humans and animals the US Food and Drug Administration Center for Veterinary Medicine has developed a 5-year Veterinary Stewardship Plan designed to slow the emergence of antimicrobial resistance that can arise from the misuse of antibiotics in animals while ensuring safe and effective use of medically important antibiotics in animals and humans. Many antibiotics are medically important to both human and animal health. The intent of this legislation is to ensure that these drugs are used under veterinary supervision, reducing the chance for development of antimicrobial resistance to these drugs in both humans and animals.

You sort of skipped over the reason for it.

However, I haven't experienced any noticeable change when I have used them.

Do you use them often enough to know that? How can you know that without a long study involving many people and conducted by qualified people?

The overuse of antibiotics is a well-known issue. It makes sense they would see a need to control that by making them only available with the approval of licensed, qualified people. Drug resistance is a very serious matter.

posted on Feb, 19 2023 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: The GUT

Depends on what *animals* you have, what you think you might actually use, what you can barter or sell. I personally have chicken, geese, dogs, cats and hope to soon have Icelandic sheep since I live in zone 2/3. I personally use some OTC antibiotics when absolutely necessary which can be purchased from local stores.

I am not a medical professional so I can't recommend anything. But others might share their personal opinions.

Cool stuff about Icelandic sheep:

Icelandic sheep are able to survive in all types of climates, even those that experience drastic changes. Icelandic sheep are among the oldest and purest breeds of sheep in the world, in the family of Northern-European Short-Tailed sheep. They were brought to Iceland about 1100 years ago by some of the earliest settlers. The sturdy, long-fleeced sheep are rugged and well-suited to cold winters with sparse grazing prospects. Icelandic sheep ranchers utilize the breed for meat, fiber, and milk products. The ewes are good at providing milk for their lambs and are known to live for long periods of time. Good for milk, meat and wool. Also, some ewes can produce 3, 4, 5, or even 6 lambs may be born in a single pregnancy. They are more like goats than sheep.

ETA:

A little push for these sheep and why they would be a great choice:

The breed was developed to grow and thrive on grass alone. Because of Iceland's cold and rainy climate, grain was rarely grown and sheep were wintered on hay alone. In more recent times, the animals are fed some fish meal a few weeks before and after lambing, but otherwise they thrive on grass or hay.

The sheep are managed by keeping them in a barn or shelter where they are lambed out and hay is fed during the winter months. As soon as the grass starts growing, the sheep are herded to huge common wild mountain pasture ranges where the sheep run free and are untended during the whole five month growing season. This practice weeds out the weak animals and allows only the strongest to survive.

Because the animals have been managed this way for hundreds of years, the sheep have retained much of their wild instincts and savvy. They are not dumb, dull animals but bright, smart, quick and alert. The ewes are not aggressive toward humans but are very protective of their lambs and won't let them out of their sight. The rams are protective of their flock and dispositions range from very aggressive to very quiet and docile. The temperament of the ewes ranges from very sweet and friendly to timid.

Because their gestation is five days shorter that most sheep breeds, the lambs are born small, averaging five pounds, a throwback to their more primitive ancestors. Having small lambs avoids many of the lambing problems associated with difficult births. The lambs, though small, are not sluggish and weak, but jump right up in minutes, run to the udder and nurse.

So intelligent is this sheep that there were many that were "leader sheep" in Iceland, and these were bred especially for this extra intelligence and sold at a premium for this ability. Leader sheep could tell when the weather was going to change for the worse, long before it happened, and would lead the flock home in a blizzard or refuse to leave the barn for winter grazing when bad weather was coming.

Icelandic sheep are a meat breed, bred for fine textured, light flavored meat WITHOUT MUTTONY FLAVOR. A lamb fed on grass alone is ready to finish in 5 months at 90-110 lbs with a 45% dress out.

www.icelandicsheep.com...

edit on 2228202300000028bSun, 19 Feb 2023 16:55:22 -06002023000000x by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2023 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Overuse is a valid reason to control when they are prescribed, and to be fair, they are still wildly over-prescribed in humans in spite of frequent warnings of the dire consequences possible. While that is true, we all know the reason this regulation came about, and it rhymes with Ivermectin.

posted on Feb, 19 2023 @ 04:32 PM
link   
It is another method of controlling the masses. It will cost farmers a lot of money to treat their livestock now as they will have to go through a vet.

While I understand the resistance issue I don't see the farmers as the problem.

posted on Feb, 19 2023 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

I personally have been exposed to lack of antibiotic prescription in my family and the damage it caused. I also don't use them willy nilly and take self medicating very seriously with much research and study.

And this:

antimicrobial resistance that can arise from the misuse of antibiotics in animals while ensuring safe and effective use of medically important antibiotics in animals and humans
is because DOCTORS have over prescribed.... too often and for too long of a duration. I see it time and time again. But I have had experience where there was an obvious need for antibiotics yet the doctor cited that same reasoning above and wanted to take a 'wait and see' approach while I suffered and the end result was to prescribe an antibiotic. I literally have had a doctor prescribe a medication that would likely have killed me and when I brought it to his attention he casually changed it for another. I currently have been battling an illness because my doctor prescribed a medication that gives me a bad reaction over a period of time. It was under a different name so I wasn't suspicious of it.

Let's put it this way, from my own personal experience, as well as working for a law firm where medical malpractice was a major portion of our business along with the past 3 years of Covid disinformation, I would never rely 100% on a doctor without doing some of my own research on situations and medicines if I had the opportunity.

posted on Feb, 19 2023 @ 04:42 PM
link   

if you read between the lines it says,

The intent of this legislation is to ensure that these drugs continue rake in high profits for big pharma and that humans can't get antiparasitic, antiviral, antibiotic or any class of antimicrobial drug in any from their local feed and seed store.
edit on 19-2-2023 by SomeJackleg because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2023 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: SomeJackleg

That has zero to do with what I posted. Resistance to antibiotics is a very real thing and it is actually a bit dangerous to have people self-medicating with drugs from the local feed store. Sure some people may have the knowledge, but most people do not.

posted on Feb, 19 2023 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Self-medicating from a feed store "too often and for too long of a duration" is just as dangerous. Maybe more so as most people's self-professed knowledge is from reading on the Internet.

posted on Feb, 19 2023 @ 05:01 PM
link   

This has been in the works since 2017. It only affects "medically important" OTC drugs, which are the ones which also have human usage. Many "medically important" drugs already required a prescription to purchase (ie doxycycline, amoxicillin, azithromycin, etc...).

OTC Livestock Antibiotics Will Require Prescription June 11 14 February 2023

What does medically important mean?

Medically important drugs are essential to human medicine and also used to treat animals.

What antibiotics does this affect?

Prescription-only items will include injectable tylosin, injectable and intramammary penicillin, injectable and oral oxytetracycline, sulfadimethoxine and sulfamethazine, gentamicin, cephapirin and cephapirin benzathine intramammary tubes.

EDIT TO ADD:

Some information on the Veterinary Feed Directive (VFD) right from the source.
edit on 2/19/2023 by cmdrkeenkid because: Added additional information.

posted on Feb, 19 2023 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: The GUT
What do you recommend for a wellrounded kit? Thanks!

For your fish antibiotic needs, calvetsupply.com is my go to.

I wanted to make sure I was stocked up on antibiotics for my fish before the ban since it will require a vet prescription going forward.

For those who are more pharmacy minded, Jase Medical is on all the prepper channels.

jasemedical.com...

edit on 19-2-2023 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2023 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I hope the government continues to ban and control everything until we are just living in pods eating bugs, asking for permission to piss.

Oh, wait... thats in the work...

posted on Feb, 19 2023 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

Self-medicating from a feed store "too often and for too long of a duration" is just as dangerous. Maybe more so as most people's self-professed knowledge is from reading on the Internet.

True that. But my information comes from books AND the internet. Medical educational books can be gotten almost anywhere. I picked up mine from a book recycle center for free, the exact ones used to educate doctors and nurses. Plus, I do speak to my doctor and get his opinion on concerns I have....just for the record.

I have never taken any prescribed antibiotic for longer than 3 days and have NEVER suffered from reoccurrence of any condition. Yet my doctor's advice has always been to take the medication for 7-10 days. Very wrong in my personal UNEDUCATED but experienced opinion.
edit on 3328202300000028bSun, 19 Feb 2023 17:12:33 -06002023000000x by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2023 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Dude, you can go to numerous countries and buy z packs and about any other antibiotics over the counter. If it was "Really" a concern, that practice would be banned. It is not like the rest of the world over using them doesn't impact us yet we are the only nation concerned about this so called problem?

posted on Feb, 19 2023 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Thank you for the heads up. I guess I'm making a trip to the feed store! While I'm there I'll ask if the ones I'm buying are on the list. Either way, still can't hurt to have extra on hand.

Thanks again!

posted on Feb, 19 2023 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Some interesting info ....take a look

Stocking up on Fish Mox: a Systematic Analysis of Cultural Narratives about Self-medicating in Online Forums - LINK

posted on Feb, 19 2023 @ 05:40 PM
link   
This will cause a good percent of animal death livestock -Pets I bet more then 50 percent of animal owners will have the money or time to pay for or take the animal to the vet .

Canada did this and it's horrible for the pet industry can't even buy copper from what i've been told a vet has to prescribe it .
edit on 19-2-2023 by Ravenwatcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2023 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

I could give you 101 scenarios in which it is impractical and unnecessary to restrict medications -- whether for animals or people, but I also understand what you're saying and see the potentials dangers in medications being used incorrectly.

The solution is to teach people the proper use and protocols for these medications. Teach people about proper dosing and administration, as well as the risks, the adverse side effects to watch for, and contraindications with other medications and substances. Much like doctors do every time they prescribe a medication, and the pharmacist fills the medication.

People are not stupid. People don't want to harm their pets and livestock. People can learn and do for themselves and not have to jump through unnecessary hoops.

posted on Feb, 19 2023 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: TarantulaBite
Some interesting info ....take a look

Stocking up on Fish Mox: a Systematic Analysis of Cultural Narratives about Self-medicating in Online Forums - LINK

Wow. that is good article. I had never thought about this one. Some just can't afford the cost of a doctor visit to even get antibiotics.

“My fish came down with a nasty case of bronchitis and sinusitis just before Christmas, but her health insurance doesn't kick in until the first of the year. So she couldn't go to a fish doctor because she only makes minimum wage at the aquarium, and a trip to the fish emergency room would have put her in debt so far she wouldn't be able to get out. So she tapped on the edge of her tank with her sick little fin and blew bubbles in Morse code to ask me to order these for her. They worked great! She is now bronchitis and sinusitis-free, and she only had to miss one day of work at the aquarium. She thanked me in bubble Morse code, and said she would use them only when absolutely necessary, in order to avoid creating superfishbugs (Amazon review December 2016)”.

As this tongue-in-cheek review on Amazon.com for Fish Mox Forte makes clear, the decision to consume animal grade antibiotics is connected to larger stressors produced by the political economy of American healthcare. Without health insurance and working a low-wage job the Amazon reviewer frames this decision as their only option and as a carefully considered one. They both recognize that this practice officially framed as a discredited or ill-advised one and present themselves as a careful and rational consumer. Reviews for fish mox on Amazon are generally characterized by this “winking” rhetoric, which pays lip service to the questionable legality of selling/consuming animal-grade antibiotics for human consumption while still arguing for its benefit to attenuate the stressors of low-wage and underinsured household economics.4 They will only use the pills “when absolutely necessary,” implicitly, in much the same way as medical professionals.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join