It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

True level

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2023 @ 10:36 AM
link   

I just found this to be one of the most thought provoking things Ive encountered.

posted on Jan, 15 2023 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Your post is bad and you should feel bad.

Also level is just a concept based on your local gravity.
What they demonstrated in that show was true flat.

posted on Jan, 15 2023 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac

I do, but realizing its relative and subjective makes me feel 'better'.

was hoping for insight though..thanks for it.
edit on 15-1-2023 by didntasktobeborned because: .

posted on Jan, 15 2023 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: didntasktobeborned

I just found this to be one of the most thought provoking things Ive encountered.

The idea here is that human perception will always be, at strict minimum, a fraction of a degree off the most precise quanta of "level". And so every single example of misalignment will stand out like one of those screaming ghosts from the infamous 2005 car commercial prank video. As black mirror concepts go, very thought provoking indeed. I could see Joe Rogan and Neil Degrasse going ham on this one.

edit on 15-1-2023 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2023 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Ahh... it speaks to my love of Rick and Morty.

Your post appears related to the state of perceived reality. And the idea that having experienced perfection, nothing can substitute for it.

I liked it.

posted on Jan, 15 2023 @ 02:13 PM
link   
You do know that static water finds it's own level. That's how the ancient Egyptians (oh, I mean the extra-terrestrials) got the base of the great pyramid level. They do say if you gave a monkey a pen and paper after a few thousand years (or was it millions) they would write Shakespeare. No they wouldn't cos monkeys only live 20 to 50 years and in that time they wouldn't know how to fill the pen with ink.

OH, the hubris of mankind.

posted on Jan, 15 2023 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac

Also level is just a concept based on your local gravity.
What they demonstrated in that show was true flat.

How is level based on gravity?

Like flat in one location is on a tilt if it's line is extrapolated around a globe?

Editing to add... if so that's a hypothetical, useless measure in the real world.

edit on 15-1-2023 by igloo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2023 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed

I think the interesting definition of the word "mankind" may have been overlooked for quite some time.

kind

c : a doubtful or barely admissible member of a category. a kind of gray

Funny coincidence about the example given eh?

posted on Jan, 15 2023 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: nerbot

I think the interesting definition of the word "mankind" may have been overlooked for quite some time.

kind

c : a doubtful or barely admissible member of a category. a kind of gray

Funny coincidence about the example given eh?

Wonder if this was why children were kinder and go to kindergarten.

KInd of human.

posted on Jan, 15 2023 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: igloo
KInd of human.

"ish".

posted on Jan, 15 2023 @ 04:25 PM
link   

You do know that static water finds it's own level. That's how the ancient Egyptians (oh, I mean the extra-terrestrials) got the base of the great pyramid level.

This was one of my reasons for posting, Ive been into that thread on the giant lathes in AE..and yep, I knew water seeks its own level no matter its position.

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 12:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: igloo
How is level based on gravity?

Like flat in one location is on a tilt if it's line is extrapolated around a globe?

Editing to add... if so that's a hypothetical, useless measure in the real world.
Level isn't necessarily flat when talking about gravity and the Earth's oceans (unless you're a flat earther and even then...you would be wrong about the Earth being flat).

But over a short enough distance like on the Rick and Morty video, the Earth's curvature is small enough to where it could be considered negligible, and level is pretty flat over such a short distance of a meter or so.

However, earth's curvature is not negligible on say, the Golden Gate Bridge, where the bridge supports are not parallel. They both point to the center of the Earth and are far enough apart to where that ends up being a different direction. It's not a useless measure, because both towers need to be vertical ("level" at the location of each tower is 90 degrees from vertical).

100 Proofs that the Earth is a Globe

19. Bridge towers

When architects design and construction engineers build towers, they make them vertical. By “vertical” we mean straight up and down or, more formally, in line with the direction of gravity. A tall, thin structure is most stable if built vertically, as then the centre of mass is directly above the centre of the base area.

If the Earth were flat, then vertical towers would all be parallel, no matter where they were built. On the other hand, if the Earth is curved like a sphere, then “vertical” really means pointing towards the centre of the Earth, in a radial direction. In this case, towers built in different places, although all locally vertical, would not be parallel.

posted on Jan, 18 2023 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: didntasktobeborned

I do, but realizing its relative and subjective makes me feel 'better'.

Many believe that truth is relative​—in other words, that what is true to one person may be untrue to another, so that both may be “right.” This belief is so widespread that there is a word for it​—“relativism.”

Allan Bloom wrote in his book The Closing of the American Mind: “There is one thing a professor can be absolutely certain of: almost every student entering the university believes, or says he believes, that truth is relative.” Bloom found that if he challenged his students’ conviction on this matter, they would react with astonishment, “as though he were calling into question 2 + 2 = 4.”

In his book The Art of Thinking, Professor V. R. Ruggiero expresses his surprise that even intelligent people sometimes say that truth is relative. He reasons: “If everyone makes his own truth, then no person’s idea can be better than another’s. All must be equal. And if all ideas are equal, what is the point in researching any subject? Why dig in the ground for answers to archeological questions? Why probe the causes of tension in the Middle East? Why search for a cancer cure? Why explore the galaxy? These activities make sense only if some answers are better than others, if truth is something separate from, and unaffected by, individual perspectives.”

In fact, no one really believes that there is no truth. When it comes to physical realities, such as medicine, mathematics, or the laws of physics, even the staunchest relativist will believe that some things are true. Who of us would dare to ride in an airplane if we did not think that the laws of aerodynamics were absolute truths? Verifiable truths do exist; they surround us, and we stake our lives on them.

It is in the moral realm, though, where the errors of relativism are most apparent, for it is here that such thinking has done the most harm. The Encyclopedia Americana makes this point: “It has been seriously doubted whether knowledge, or known truth, is humanly attainable . . . It is certain, however, that whenever the twin ideals of truth and knowledge are rejected as visionary or harmful, human society decays.”

Perhaps you have noticed such decay.

posted on Jan, 18 2023 @ 08:50 PM
link   
What I notice most is that we seem to have all the pieces for a perfect ideal in this life, but we never put them together and things end up on the fringes and hanging by a single fiber all the time..Some would say this is the beauty of life and what makes loss ok, Im not sure…this is when we should simplify..and normally that works.

The cancer has always been there, and its still really only there if one goes looking for it..theres an absolute right? Its a bit more complicated..after all it is cancer and by its nature harms the innocent, I get it, thats when 'we' worry about 'us', and not so much 'them', make them adapt, become the evolutionary goal. And watch yourself fail and hope for the opportunity to try it again..

a reply to: whereislogic

top topics

join