It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2023

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Jan, 1 2023 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Hello ATS!

Well, it seems that we did not have an adventurous soul last year, 2022, to create a Quake Watch thread.

Last thread, Quake Watch 2021.

We all know that there were quakes last year. And there even appeared to be action around the Ring of Fire.

So, to keep track of these anecdotal events and see if indeed this world is a whole system, we have a place to record them!

Happy New Year!

posted on Jan, 1 2023 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Oh...good idea!

We have a lot of shakers off the coast of Oregon and I'll be sure to share them!

Also...I'd like to add this link for those wanting to watch:

USGS

edit on 1-1-2023 by jerryznv because: random

posted on Jan, 1 2023 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I've been watching the Cascadia subduction zone with interest for awhile now, hoping it stays relatively quiet this year. I'm glad we have a thread this year to keep track!

posted on Jan, 1 2023 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

That (Cascadia) is more scary than the San Andreas! At least to me.

A mile off shore. A huge hunk of land pushes up and there will be a tsunami likes of which we haven’t seen in modern history.

And that fault does connect up to all of the ones in So Cal, so who knows how large that one will get?!

posted on Jan, 1 2023 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Eureka, Northern Cali.

www.cnn.com...

twitter.com...
edit on 1-1-2023 by AlexanderM because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2023 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlexanderM
Eureka, Northern Cali.

www.cnn.com...

This one???

LINK

A little south east of Eureka...but a decent little shaker!

edit on 1-1-2023 by jerryznv because: random

posted on Jan, 1 2023 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: AlexanderM

Coolio!

We try and include a magnitude, if possible, so we don’t have to go look up the story!

5.4M, Eureka, CA. They say it felt stronger than similar mag EQs.

a reply to: jerryznv

Exactly! If possible, post the magnitude. Most of us don’t worry about 3s or less than 4.5M quakes. 5 and above, and the location, are the details we are interested in. The really big one typically get their own thread.

Thanks for chiming in!!
edit on 1-1-2023 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: Tag on post

posted on Jan, 1 2023 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Exactly! If possible, post the magnitude. Most of us don’t worry about 3s or less than 4.5M quakes. 5 and above, and the location, are the details we are interested in. The really big one typically get their own thread.

Thanks for chiming in!!

Who is "us"?

I've been around for a minute...I know how this works!

You're welcome!

posted on Jan, 1 2023 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF
a reply to: AlexanderM

Coolio!

We try and include a magnitude, if possible, so we don’t have to go look up the story!

5.4M, Eureka, CA. They say it felt stronger than similar mag EQs.

Another decent sized rumble right at the bottom of Cascadia...
I check my quakefeed first thing every morning with an emphasis on this region (I'm in the PNW) and just feel it's gonna unzip within the next ten years... Just a guess.

Thanks for chiming in!!

Another decent rumble at the bottom of Cascadia... I monitor this region daily as I live in the PNW...
I honestly feel it will unzip in the next ten years... Hope not just a hunch...
edit on 1/1/2323 by dangermouse because: Comment didn't post

posted on Jan, 1 2023 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Quake Watch 2023

I have family ontopof the Madrid fault and every little tremor sends them into batsh!t crazy mode. I'll keep an eye on that one. Just a matter of time....

Yellowstone caldera is the one that will create a nuclear winter when that one pops off.....

prepforthat.com...
edit on 1-1-2023 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2023 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: dangermouse
a reply to: olaru12

Yeah! One of the reasons why we need this thread!

And usually, we get volcanic activity as well.

Thanks! Hope your loved ones stay safe! Heck, hope all of us stay safe!!

posted on Jan, 1 2023 @ 06:20 PM
link   
We also should make a note of the moon phases when the big quakes happen as well.

posted on Jan, 1 2023 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Honestly, I have been supremely disappointed with my Calfornia Earthquake experience. I think our portion of The Ring of Fire is broken.

Mostly SD and a few excruciating years in LA.

We're due. But not happening yet.

San Andreas is waiting for a 7.9 somewhere near Indio. You got the sleeping giant under LA, the Puente Hills Reverse Thrust Fault, The southern tip of the Rose Canyon fault is literally 4 blocks from me and nothing. That's good for a 6.5 every few hundred years. Nothing.

Less than 20 felt ones in 15 years.

Largest being The Easter Sunday 7.2 of 2010, that was 115 Miles away. Knocked over lamps and pictures. Did cause some liquefaction down the street. Nothing like I see in the videos of Japan.

I am really doubting this year will be the year.

I remain hopeful though.
edit on 1-1-2023 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2023 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Degradation33

Honestly, I have been supremely disappointed with my Calfornia Earthquake experience.

San Andreas is waiting for a 7.9 somewhere near Indio. You got the sleeping giant under LA, the Puente Hills Reverse Thrust Fault, The southern tip of the Rose Canyon fault is literally 4 blocks from me and nothing. That's good for a 6.5! Nothing.

Largest being The Easter Sunday 7.2 of 2010, that was 115 Miles away. Knocked over lamps and pictures. Did cause some liquefaction down the street. Nothing like I see in the videos of Japan.

I am really doubting this year will be the year though.

I remain hopeful though.

I was in the great San Francisco earthquake and it was horrific!

Be careful what you wish for...another one like that would certainly leave few alive!

That would certainly change your opinion of your "California Earthquake Experience"!

Great San Francisco Earthquake

posted on Jan, 1 2023 @ 10:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: jerryznv

Honestly, I have been supremely disappointed with my Calfornia Earthquake experience.

San Andreas is waiting for a 7.9 somewhere near Indio. You got the sleeping giant under LA, the Puente Hills Reverse Thrust Fault, The southern tip of the Rose Canyon fault is literally 4 blocks from me and nothing. That's good for a 6.5! Nothing.

I remain hopeful though.

Be careful what you wish for...another one like that would certainly leave few alive!

That would certainly change your opinion of your "California Earthquake Experience"!

Could all the record rain falling on San Francisco,

See Here: www.breitbart.com...

Generate an Earthquake, since water is so heavy and causes so much erosion?

posted on Jan, 1 2023 @ 11:17 PM
link   

I am accidentally talking for the folls that live on shifting ground!

And the little EQs keep the pressure from building up to a massive release.

But again, my assumption. And you know what happens when you make an assumption…

posted on Jan, 1 2023 @ 11:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

I remain hopeful though.

Could all the record rain falling on San Francisco,

See Here: www.breitbart.com...

Generate an Earthquake, since water is so heavy and causes so much erosion?

The shifting (moving) of tectonic plates causes earthquakes...different types of movements of course...convergent plates, friction plates, subduction plates, etc...there's a lot to know about how they shift! Anyways...yes...erosion can significantly effect the shifting of those plates...particularly along fault lines! Weight though is something I could not answer on...as far as I know...weight has never been a factor in "triggering" an earthquake (although I believe it is surely possible)!

Rainfall however...is really miniscule in the scheme of how tectonics works (as little as we know about tectonics) though...and I imagine it would take several feet of rain all in a very short period of time for that weight to be significant enough to cause undo pressure on the plates (enough to make them move anyway)!

I'm far from an expert though and have a very elementary knowledge of how it all works! I had a couple of semesters of geology in college that covered some of this...but hardly enough for me to know for sure! I'm curious though...so I'll be doing a little research!

This is also from USGS and it's pretty comprehensive IMO:

USGS Plate tectonics

There is also this:

The erosion caused by rainfall directly affects the movement of continental plates beneath mountain ranges, says a University of Toronto geophysicist -- the first time science has raised the possibility that human-induced climate change could affect the deep workings of the planet.

Impact of Rainfall

edit on 2-1-2023 by jerryznv because: random

posted on Jan, 2 2023 @ 05:40 AM
link   

So you're telling us you're at least 116 years old? Come on dude...

posted on Jan, 2 2023 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: iamhobo

So you're telling us you're at least 116 years old? Come on dude...

Boy you're quick!

It's humor...you familiar with that?

Funny though...out of all my posts, that's what you took away...that's your contribution to this thread!

posted on Jan, 2 2023 @ 11:35 AM
link   

I'm far from an expert though and have a very elementary knowledge of how it all works!

I'm closer to an expert on this.

But your pretty on point for a 117 year old immortal vampire clown.

At the Mendocino Triple Junction....

Any weight from above or erosion is negligible compared to the immense force of one plate sliding Northwest as it warps the one moving east northeast that's trying to subduct under the one moving West southwest.

It's actually really WRONG for there NOT to be a 6.0 or greater every 30 months or so. The Gorda portion of Juan De Fuca Plate especially. It's basically defacto transform fault (technically fracture zone) between a plate diving under North America and the Pacific plate trying to push it North as it does so.
edit on 2-1-2023 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

<<   2  3 >>

join