It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advice wanted: Mysterious sites in Portugal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2022 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Hello all,

I've been making motorcycle YouTube videos for 4 years but I've decided to incorporate my interest in Hidden History into my channel. I'm lucky to have an aunty who owns a house in Portugal which is empty in February and she's letting me stay there for free. I want to go there with the intention of exploring some ancient sites that aren't so well known or documented. I have a range of camera and a drone, so I'm going to fly out there, rent a motorcycle in Lisbon and spend a week or so exploring and documenting everything I can find that's interesting.

I know about the places that are popular such as the Knights Templar churches, one of the Star Forts, and a few protected Roman sites, but want to explore something that's not so "mainstream".

Do we have any members who live in Portugal or have knowledge of the country and what she has to offer?

Please give me some suggestions if you can.

Thanks in advance

posted on Dec, 28 2022 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Upyerheart

Maybe Fátima, the site where the miracle of the sun happend?
Not much to see I guess...

posted on Dec, 28 2022 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Buy a boat, diving gear and scanning devices (LIDAR). The Azores desperately need to be explored.

posted on Dec, 28 2022 @ 04:04 PM
link   

The Valongo Sanatorium perhaps

posted on Dec, 28 2022 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Start by going to the Convent of Christ in Tomar. This is said to be the Templars headquarters in Portugal. Then nip over to the Church of Santa Maria Do Olival in Tomar, there are supposedly underground tunnels to explore if you can get permission. These 2 sites could lead you to others to explore.
A couple of other places steeped in Templars (though no in Portugal) is Malta and the Languedoc region in France. May be visit Rennes le Chateau. If you want Templar connection France has more Templar related sites than any other country.

posted on Dec, 28 2022 @ 09:39 PM
link   

MEGALITHIC MONUMENTS IN THE NORTH OF PORTUGAL

If you’re looking for evidence of Portugal’s prehistoric civilisations, the megalithic monuments in the north of Portugal are a good place to start. They are not the biggest or most famous dolmens in the country but they are among the most important and fascinating.
Arguably the most significant megalithic monument in Portugal is the Almendres Cromlech near Évora. Its double circle of standing stones is the oldest known in Europe and the largest in the Iberian Peninsular. The 92 stones were erected in several phases during the Neolithic period between 5,000 and 4,000 BC

www.portugalgreenwalks.com...

posted on Dec, 29 2022 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Check out a website called megalithic portal, it has a map with gps locations of various ancient sites throughout the world. That would be the place to start and with a drone you might even find some new sites.

Good luck.

posted on Dec, 30 2022 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Thanks for all the advice guys. That's awesome!

I knew some of those places, but learned about some new ones too, so BIG thank you.

I'll get planning my route and share it with you guys when I know more.

I'm going to be renting a motorcycle and riding to the places and doing a vlog each day, then a documentary style video at the end with all the best clips edited together.

Thanks again

posted on Dec, 30 2022 @ 11:26 AM
link   

The whole region of Sintra, near Lisbon, is interesting, with one of most famous the Quinta da Regaleira, full of mysterious architecture and built at the start of the XX century.

Parts of the movie The Ninth Gate were filmed in Sintra.

crayzeed's suggestion of Tomar is a good one, and the Tomar region was almost all owned by the Nights Templar, recreated as Order of Christ in Portugal, the most famous places being the Convent of Christ in Tomar and the castle of Almourol, a little more to the south.

ColoradoTemplar's suggestion is also a good one, as we have lots of megalithic sites.

Besides the above suggestions, many castles and old houses are connected to legends of some kind, so I suppose you can have lots of things to see, even in Lisbon and the surrounding area.

posted on Dec, 31 2022 @ 03:02 AM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

Awesome. So you're actually from Portugal?

I will be riding a motorcycle, so I am happy to travel long distances. I'll be staying in Bombarral so Sinta is really close...The other places sound really cool too. Do you know of anything quiet? I want to see Sintra for sure, but it sounds like it's always busy with tourists.

Also can't wait to see the Fort of Graça in Elvas.

posted on Dec, 31 2022 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Yes, I'm Portuguese.

Tourists may be a problem on those more famous places, but if you are coming in February there will be less of an "invasion" than in the summer.

As far as I know, all locations on the Alentejo, like Elvas, have less tourists than the Lisbon, Oporto or Algarve regions, and it has lots of interesting locations.

posted on Dec, 31 2022 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Terpene

Fátima was turned into a "tourism industry" a long time ago, but the whole region is interesting.

PS: the famous 1917 apparitions were not the first, there are several stories about apparitions in that area going at least at the 15th century.

posted on Jan, 1 2023 @ 02:15 AM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

Cool didn't know about the tourism and neither about the other sightings, so camping in that area could be worthwhile.

posted on Jan, 4 2023 @ 08:47 PM
link   
There was a show on TV about the city of Silves being the real Atlantis. I have never been there and I don't know if they have developed it for tourism geared towards mysterious sites.

posted on Jan, 4 2023 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Solvedit
There was a show on TV about the city of Silves being the real Atlantis. I have never been there and I don't know if they have developed it for tourism geared towards mysterious sites.

armap is from there.

lots of travel vids on you tube.

posted on Jan, 5 2023 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Solvedit

No, the whole Algarve area is dedicated to "common" tourism, living mostly thanks to British and German tourists.

posted on Jan, 5 2023 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: sarahvital

A thread about the Azores and Atlantis was what made me join ATS and make my first post, more than 18 years ago.

posted on Jan, 5 2023 @ 06:38 PM
link   
i'd love to visit portugal someday.

pick up some serious wines.

i love port for drinking and cooking.

posted on Jan, 15 2023 @ 06:33 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

join