It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Argentine Witches Support their Team

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2022 @ 12:14 PM
link   
www.nytimes.com...

In recent weeks, hundreds, if not thousands of Argentine women who call themselves “brujas,” or witches, have taken up arms — in the form of prayers, altars, candles, amulets and burning sage — to protect their nation’s beloved soccer team in its quest to secure a third World Cup title and its first in 36 years.

“We think of ourselves as agents that, from love, can take care, protect and sow happiness,” said Rocío Cabral Menna, 27, a witch and high-school teacher in Messi’s hometown, Rosario, who burns a bay leaf inscribed with her predicted score in a ceremony before each match. The players are competing on the field, she said, and at home, “the witches are taking care of them.”

So in 21st Century Argentina--a nation which can reasonably be considered civilized / Western--witches are a thing.

I wonder if these witches have been around all along? or is this a recent trend?

In the book 'Christ Stopped at Eboli' the author (an internally exiled intellectual) noted how many of the Italian housewives practiced casual magic with protective spells and such. (this was around 1941)

I wonder if, in at least some places, witchcraft has been lurking just off the radar all along?

Thoughts? How much modern witchery is going on?
edit on 01032020 by ElGoobero because: (no reason given)

( I hope this thread doesn't get a bunch of lame Monty Python 'Burnthewitch' posts)
edit on 01032020 by ElGoobero because: add content

edit on 01032020 by ElGoobero because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2022 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero

The power of thought. Many that call themselves witches lately are off the path as they are drawn in by power, not love and helping.

This act of influence, I do not value it but then I also do not call myself a witch.

posted on Dec, 18 2022 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Witches are hott in the 'His Dark Materials' books. And so are argentine women. Makes sense.

posted on Dec, 18 2022 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Athletes are a rather superstitious bunch, obviously not as defined as practicing witchcraft but it's coming from the same place.

The internet is a strong driving force behind a lot of 'witchery' it's also during a time where persecution of lifestyle choices is seen as backwards. Some people are getting back to their roots, exploring different aspects of witchcraft, might just be trying to fit into a crowd...

People play quidditch too.

I wonder if, in at least some places, witchcraft has been lurking just off the radar all along?

Consider superstitions, they all tend to have a cultural basis. It's why some forms of 'magic' are accepted within religions.

Personally I don't see all that much difference in wearing lucky shorts, dancing for rain or empowering things with ritualistic actions.

posted on Dec, 18 2022 @ 02:03 PM
link   

The only thing I care about is that France lost!

If this was done with the help of witches then so be it. Cry on Frenchies

posted on Dec, 18 2022 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElGoobero
www.nytimes.com...

In recent weeks, hundreds, if not thousands of Argentine women who call themselves “brujas,” or witches, have taken up arms — in the form of prayers, altars, candles, amulets and burning sage — to protect their nation’s beloved soccer team in its quest to secure a third World Cup title and its first in 36 years.

“We think of ourselves as agents that, from love, can take care, protect and sow happiness,” said Rocío Cabral Menna, 27, a witch and high-school teacher in Messi’s hometown, Rosario, who burns a bay leaf inscribed with her predicted score in a ceremony before each match. The players are competing on the field, she said, and at home, “the witches are taking care of them.”

So in 21st Century Argentina--a nation which can reasonably be considered civilized / Western--witches are a thing.

I wonder if these witches have been around all along? or is this a recent trend?

In the book 'Christ Stopped at Eboli' the author (an internally exiled intellectual) noted how many of the Italian housewives practiced casual magic with protective spells and such. (this was around 1941)

( I hope this thread doesn't get a bunch of lame Monty Python 'Burnthewitch' posts)

I recommend googling the history of witchcraft during WW2 for a bit of context about how this stuff works.

edit on 18-12-2022 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2022 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMALLYETALLIAM

one witch was best player of the tournament. holy messi. a hell of game. maybe the best world cup final ever.

posted on Dec, 18 2022 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

www.nytimes.com...

I recommend googling the history of witchcraft during WW2 for a bit of context about how this stuff works.

we had a thread on that back in the day, wonder if its still here

ha, here it is

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 01032020 by ElGoobero because: add linque

posted on Dec, 18 2022 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Didn't you realise...they are EVERYWHERE.

posted on Dec, 18 2022 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Witchcraft and sorcery .... Is very common through Latin America... It's never gone away there ... It's quite common to go see one....for all sorts of things . Love... Business.... Dealing with enemies etc
There's witches markets too.... Selling all sorts of things ...
Makes a lot more sense then going to some building to be blessed by a pedophile in robes 😈

edit on 18-12-2022 by Hiram33 because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-12-2022 by Hiram33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2022 @ 06:17 PM
link   
She turned me into a newt......
I got better....

I personally have met or know at least a dozen wikens, commonly referred to as witches. I even know the leaders of a coven. While I don't practice, I have participated in some ceremonies.

They are not as you think and are not really secretive about it. They pretty much believe as all religions do.

Protect the weak. Help where you can. Love one another. Doing evil causes evil to be done to you in return.

So protecting their team sounds right.

Ever used a four leaf clover, horseshoe, good luck charm, lucky saying to word off bad luck? You have practiced witchcraft.

posted on Dec, 18 2022 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: beyondknowledge

Also projecting anger and hatred towards others is a form of sorcery ...as it is throwing arrows of energy toward another......

posted on Dec, 18 2022 @ 07:56 PM
link   

and here I prayed to Shiva and Maradona

edit on 18-12-2022 by TheToastmanCometh because: letter

posted on Dec, 18 2022 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: malte85

originally posted by: IAMALLYETALLIAM

one witch was best player of the tournament. holy messi. a hell of game. maybe the best world cup final ever.

Kick off was 2AM Monday morning here and the only way I’d be getting up for it is, if Australia somehow snuck in to it.

Will watch the mini match later though cause it looks like one hell of a game of football!

posted on Dec, 18 2022 @ 08:00 PM
link   

also, bold of you to assume that Argentina is up to 21st century standards...

posted on Dec, 18 2022 @ 11:54 PM
link   
a reply to: TheToastmanCometh
Hhhhhmmm... Prey tell of this 21st century standard ... You mean one where the masses are compliant virtue signalling drones that bend the knee and bend over when the system orders them to .... Where science has become the new religion and the men in lab coats are the new priests ..... Don't look down upon ancient man... They knew a lot more then we do these days and they were a lot more connected and in tune with themselves and the natural world...

posted on Dec, 19 2022 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Hiram33

Those are found in the big cities, but rural areas are slightly more free and adhere to "traditional" practices, especially in more indigenous pockets

top topics

join