It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cambridge Dictionary updates definition of ‘woman’

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Dec, 13 2022 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I put this under social issues, because as I said to my friend, it as if 'someone' is slowly and deliberately ripping apart the fabric of society by any means necessary, from changing word definitions, to plotting different age groups and political sides against each other and stifling the possibility of constructive discourse.

Ridiculous:

The Cambridge Dictionary has updated its definition of “woman” to include anyone who “identifies as female” regardless of their sex at birth.

It is so Orwellian it makes me sick. Just like how we grew up with the common sense definition of a vaccine as something that prevents infection with a virus, and then they not so subtly changed the definition to fit their social deonstruction agenda. Apparently anyone can be a woman now. clownnnnnnnnworrrrld

Telegraph News Article

posted on Dec, 13 2022 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: chris_stibrany

Oh my gosh...really?

How inclusive...

an adult who lives and identifies as female though they may have been said to have a different sex at birth:

Cambridge

posted on Dec, 13 2022 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: jerryznv

They don't even have the cajones to put that sentence in more firm terms like '...was a different sex at birth'

Instead it's double wishy washy 'may have been said to' rofl

may have slightly been overheard to have said to have perhaps been...*whine whine*

posted on Dec, 13 2022 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Instead it's double wishy washy

Could not of found a better way to put it...

Absolutely wishy washy...

posted on Dec, 13 2022 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Modern dictionary makers have long given up any ambition to define the "right" meaning of words. They just record the way a word is used. This change follows naturally from that policy.
The problem is that people have not stopped looking in dictionaries for the "right" definition, so they end up being misled.

posted on Dec, 13 2022 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Lexicology is now a "social science," eh?

Truth be told, this is what happens when 'science' becomes a consensus-driven committee-based reflection of reality.

For eons, the designation "woman" (or "man") was a reflection of sex at birth... no longer... we're civilized now.

+7 more 
posted on Dec, 13 2022 @ 03:47 PM
link   

I don't trust definitions unless they come from a dictionary printed a decade or more in the past.

It's actually another way of "book burning" if you think about it.

No one actually "reads" the actual dictionary anymore. They "Google" or "Bing" and voilà; they have a definition.

Just ask Alexis or Siri.

They are actually changing what we know are allowed to know by denying or changing the actual definition of words.

Dictionaries printed before 2000 might soon be illegal if these authoritarian assholes have their way.

posted on Dec, 13 2022 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Just ask Alexis or Siri.

I asked Alexa...and she actually made more sense!

I'd add a voice clip if it wasn't so much work!

1. "A female human being as distinguished from a girl or a man"

2. "An adult female person"

edit on 13-12-2022 by jerryznv because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2022 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Exactly right. Another symptom of this is 'ebooks'. Whose to know 'they' aren't censoring/editing the author's intended words after 'printing' ?

The wife and I want to buy a set of encyclopedias , or is it 'an encyclopediae' ?
from the 80s or 90s before the world went to total #.

encylopedae

posted on Dec, 13 2022 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Cambrige Dictonary

woman
noun
UK /ˈwʊm.ən/ US /ˈwʊm.ən/
plural women UK /ˈwɪm.ɪn/ US /ˈwɪm.ɪn/

A1 [ C ]
an adult female human being:
She's a really nice woman.
A woman and two men were arrested the day after the explosion.
Women first got the vote in Britain in 1918.
She is Ireland's first woman (= female) president.
picture of woman
Tim Robberts/DigitalVision/GettyImages

an adult who lives and identifies as female though they may have been said to have a different sex at birth:
She was the first trans woman elected to a national office.
mary is a woman who was assigned male at birth.

posted on Dec, 13 2022 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Pretty sad when the most accurate dictionary today is the urban dictionary…..
I truly wish that was a joke.

posted on Dec, 13 2022 @ 04:01 PM
link   

They won't even say they are a different sex. They phrase it as if merely believing you should be makes you a different sex! Outrageous.

Remember, this is the "reality based" community.

I used to think the saying "I reject your reality and substitute my own" was funny; it has lately become terrifying.

posted on Dec, 13 2022 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

They won't even say they are a different sex. They phrase it as if merely believing you should be makes you a different sex! Outrageous.

Remember, this is the "reality based" community.

I used to think the saying "I reject your reality and substitute my own" was funny; it has lately become terrifying.

Agreed...this is terrifying!

Oh I remember exactly what kind of community this is...and I love it because of that!

That is the whole platform that "they" operate on...believe me and what I am saying despite your common sense!

posted on Dec, 13 2022 @ 04:13 PM
link   
XX with a uterus and ovaries. Period.

posted on Dec, 13 2022 @ 04:15 PM
link   

This is total down the memory hole BS.

When the definition of a word changes it has far reaching implications.

Any laws or constitutions that include those words have now effectively been changed as well.

Soon there will be very few books around. Digital books, records, and news stories can be changed at the drop of a hat with no past references available.

If we all gobble some soma from Huxley’s Brave New World it will make the boot stamping on our faces - forever, in Orwell’s 1984 feel pretty darn good.
edit on 12 13 2022 by NorthOfStuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2022 @ 04:17 PM
link   
They're at least consistent -

Definition of a Man

posted on Dec, 13 2022 @ 04:36 PM
link   
This should only be a thing if it also defines black people as anyone who feels like it.
I as a woman frigging had enough of being such an unimportant being that the polar opposite can just say they are and that's all there is to it.
Nonono no.

posted on Dec, 13 2022 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hecate666
This should only be a thing if it also defines black people as anyone who feels like it.
I as a woman frigging had enough of being such an unimportant being that the polar opposite can just say they are and that's all there is to it.
Nonono no.

And vise versa...

As a man...the polar opposites can say...and they magically are!

posted on Dec, 13 2022 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I guess THEY NEED TO HIRE MORE FACT CHECKERS

posted on Dec, 13 2022 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Cambridge has lost his reputation once they became woke.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join