It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: B-2 accident at Whiteman

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2022 @ 09:21 PM
link   
A report on social media is making the rounds that there was another B-2 accident at Whiteman. According to reports, the aircraft suffered an in flight emergency, and during an emergency landing, went off the runway and suffered a fire. The accident appears to be similar to the 2021 accident where a B-2 suffered a landing gear collapse after in flight issues. That aircraft didn't suffer a fire however. The reports started with the Air Force amn/nco/snco Facebook page. It hasn't been confirmed by other sources, beyond The Drive, and the Air Force amn/nco/snco page. More details if and when it is confirmed.
edit on 12/10/2022 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2022 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Would this be another instance of 'weak landing gear' I wonder? Or is this a premature concern?

I await updates... thank you.

posted on Dec, 10 2022 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxmars

Possibly, but there are a couple things that could cause it. We'll have to wait to get confirmation and more details.

posted on Dec, 10 2022 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Oh, I hope this isn't another bad metal issue. That could possibly ground a huge number of aircraft, both Military and Civilian.

posted on Dec, 10 2022 @ 09:59 PM
link   
www.kshb.com...

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — A Whiteman Air Force Base B-2 Spirit aircraft, more widely known as a stealth bomber, was forced to make an emergency landing during routine operations Saturday.

An in-flight malfunction prompted the landing, which caused damage to the runway.

Following the landing, a fire broke out. A base spokesperson confirmed it was extinguished by Whiteman’s fire department.

No injuries were reported, per the spokesperson.

Investigation into the incident is ongoing.

posted on Dec, 10 2022 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Even though the story on its face is bleak, there’s something satisfying to know even with landing gear failure in two separate instances, no injuries are reported.

Even if we discount a skilled pilot will have a good approach… landing gear is at the top of the list for critical components.

I hope they get this squared away for those beautiful birds. Replaceable parts is a better lesson for things we can’t replace.

posted on Dec, 11 2022 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

I think there are no "bad" pilots flying the B-2. At least, I would hope that selection process for B-2 pilots would be especially competent, given the missions they are likely to undertake.

It's a relief that no one was hurt.

posted on Dec, 11 2022 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Glad the crew is safe.

That B-2 accident at Whiteman is still on Google maps.
38.7243510, -93.5487067

posted on Dec, 11 2022 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Fire could have been caused by hot brakes...

posted on Dec, 11 2022 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

It sounds like it was related to the wing hitting the ground and dragging.

posted on Dec, 11 2022 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Similar idea to this?

Here’s the one that happened sometime ago?

The video is a mix of simulation and actual (I think)

twitter.com...

👽
edit on 11-12-2022 by Ophiuchus1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2022 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Ophiuchus1

More like the accident last year where the gear collapsed after landing.

posted on Dec, 11 2022 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Ophiuchus1

More like the accident last year where the gear collapsed after landing.

Ahhh this one….

Source: Faulty landing gear springs led to B-2 bomber crash last year, report finds

👽

posted on Dec, 12 2022 @ 03:02 PM
link   
The first picture that actually shows detail has made it out. The left wingtip is definitely sitting on the ground.

posted on Dec, 17 2022 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Global Strike Command has ordered a pause in B-2 operations while the fleet is being inspected. That says that it was the same cause, or similar enough to last year's that they're concerned. The B-2 will not be participating in either the Rose Bowl, or Tournament of Roses Parade. Instead B-1s from Ellsworth AFB will take their place.

www.whiteman.af.mil...

posted on Dec, 17 2022 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Was going to ask about the “halt of operations” (stand down), until a root cause is identified. Then either mitigated or mods SOP is communicated to the fleet.

Welp, the cautious approach is probably the best. And thankfully, the fleet is not active in country (that I am aware of)!

Hope that is not blamed on “crew error” because I am certain there are many people wondering what will come out of the investigation!

posted on Dec, 18 2022 @ 05:28 AM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

The runway closure NOTAM was extended until December 31, and the fact that there’s a stand down and inspection, to me, says they’re looking at the same problem as last year. Either this jet hadn’t been done yet, for whatever reason, or they thought it wasn’t required because it didn’t meet the requirements put in place in the TCTO.

posted on Dec, 19 2022 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Two Landing Incidents

Just curious after the other day..and before the f35 incident the other day..something concerning its landing gear was on my mind..

posted on Dec, 19 2022 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: didntasktobeborned

The two F-35 collapses are not a surprise. Both are examples of extreme force being applied in ways that the gear wasn’t meant to handle. What was surprising about the first is that the tow bar shear pin didn’t fail first. But it’s pretty easy to grab the wrong pin.

The two B-2s are both a surprise and not. Aviation is a learning curve. If I had to guess, the most recent accident was an aircraft that they thought they could get away with deferring the spring replacement on. Either because it was just under the time limit they imposed, or it was scheduled to PDM next. They rolled the dice and lost.

posted on May, 18 2023 @ 10:54 PM
link   
After a long stand down B-2 flights are set to resume next week. The first flights will take place with the most experienced crews flying the first missions, with the other crews flying over the course of several weeks. The SIB outbrief took place April 28th, with any recommendations to fixing the cause of the landing gear collapse being given then. The Air Force has yet to detail what caused the accident.

www.airandspaceforces.com...

new topics

top topics

join