It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jeremiah;- "My servant Jacob" (ch30)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2022 @ 05:07 PM
link   
The word from the Lord “Write in a book all the words that I have spoken to you” (ch30 v2)

This evidently marks the opening of another of Jeremiah’s books of collected prophecy. This one, which may cover the next four chapters, is a book of comfort relating to the time after judgement. “For behold the times are coming, says the Lord, when I will restore the fortunes of my people Israel and Judah [that is, both kingdoms], and I will bring them back to the land which I gave to their father” (v3)

This chapter alternates descriptions of distress under judgement and the joy of restoration. This arrangement is undoubtedly deliberate, because it underlines the correct sequence of the two themes. The judgement must come first, which is where the false prophets are presenting a misleading message.

Thus vv5-7 talk about “a cry of panic, of terror, and no peace”. The “pains of childbirth” image is used again. In the original form , the pain was being experienced by the community portrayed as a woman. Now it is being attributed to the individual men, the incongruity being pointed out. There is no day like that day. It is a time of distress for Jacob, the joint ancestor of both kingdoms. “And yet he shall be saved out of it.”

For in that day (which must be a different day), the Lord of hosts will break off the yoke from their neck. Instead of serving strangers, they will serve the Lord their God and David their king (vv8-9).

Continuing for the moment the words of comfort, the Lord says “Fear not, Jacob my servant” (v10). And those very words are also found in Isaiah ch44 v2. We are in the comforting atmosphere of the “servant songs”. He promises what is happening in the later parts of Isaiah, that he will save their descendants from the land of their captivity. Once Jacob has returned, he will have quiet and ease and none will make him afraid. This promise shows that even the present nation of Israel cannot constitute the final “Return”. They are not living in ease without fear.

Rather, the Lord is speaking of a more complete vindication, when he shall make a “full end” of all the nations among whom he scattered them. However, he will not make a “full end” of his own people. Their sufferings will have been a chastisement, in just measure. Though this does not mean that he will leave them unpunished altogether.

And so we come back (vv12-15) to talk of grievous wounds and incurable hurt. There is no medicine for their wounds. There is no-one, that is no-one human, who can help them. “All your lovers have forgotten you”. This refers to the secular allies sought by Israel, such as Assyria and Egypt. Jeremiah has made this point before, as in ch4 vv30 when he told Jerusalem that her lovers despised her and sought her life. Because Israel is shameless in her sin and her guilt is great, the Lord is treating her like an enemy and punishing her mercilessly.

Yet the “Therefore” which opens v16 takes the theme in an unexpected direction.
“All who devour you shall be devoured, and all your foes will go into captivity; those who despoil you will become a spoil, and all who prey on you will become a prey.” The instruments of the Lord’s punishment will be punished in their turn. Israel will be saved from her enemies precisely because she has completed her punishment. Hence the “Therefore”.
He will also make a point of healing her wounds and restoring her, precisely because the nations of the world have despised her; “It is Zion, for whom no-one cares”.

posted on Nov, 25 2022 @ 06:25 PM
link   
First part of Jeremiah: "I'm gonna put the hammer down if youse don't change your ways."

Second part of Jeremiah. "Chill. I'll fix this."

a bit slangish but you get the gist.

heartbreaking cycle in the Bible; Israel is blessed, it's complacent, it's warned, it falls.

new topics

join