It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1899 New Netflix SciFi show

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2022 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

Recognized Andreas P immediately. Thought DARK was the
best thing to come out of Germany since whole wheat spezli.
I'm having a birthday present of a somewhat exotic Mag Citrate
duo today, for the obvious procedure tomorrow.
Damn pause button will wear out the batteries...

posted on Nov, 20 2022 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: ConsciousRoots

I agree in part Con. I am hetero male and am not entertained in the slightest by male-male sexual drives. And entertainment is why I watch all programs. If I can add in some education along with it fine, but basically it's entertainment. Being as I am though I have no problem with female-female scenes. So for me it's nothing more than preference. I suppose that a couple of guys ravishing each other is entertaining to some so so what if it leaves me could for a few moments. To me it's no biggie.

There is in modern cinema an awful lot of exaggeration. Stereo-types are common place as well. It's entertainment. Poor entertainment for some is exciting entertainment for others. Broke-back Mountain was great stuff for some people, but not me so I just skipped that one.

posted on Nov, 20 2022 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

Okay. Loving it! Only halfway through episode 1.

I know it's fiction but I had to check when radio communication was first possible with shipping, and yes... 1899.

The four funnels are a bit of a stretch, I know the Titanic and her sister ships had four stacks but the for'ard ones were cosmetic, but that's still far more interesting than any woke BS. Like a few others here I'm not sure that sex, of any proclivity, helps move the story along. Although all those butch, sweaty guys shovelling coal are quite fun :-)

I hope to discover why everyone is behaving as though they have been hit on the back of the head with a bag of sand. I had better keep watching.

Thanks for the heads-up, I might not have botherd with it but for your post.

Back to it...

By the way, did you know that the distress call from the Titanic was actually received by a (very) early radio ham named Artie Moore in Blackwood, Mid Wales. He cycled to the local police station and reported it. They told him to go home and sober up.

Such is life...

posted on Dec, 19 2022 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: The2Billies
Watched the first 2 episodes last night.

It was sort of on the order of the TV show LOST

Full of people with troubled backgrounds who find their best selves

I'm re-watching Lost for the first time, which I thought I would never do but it's more of a lack of having anything else to watch. That show is even worse than I remember. I used to have it rated at 5, then 4.5, and now I've lowered it to 3.5. Not only do the annoying off-the island flashbacks take up at least 50% of the airtime, they do not advance the island plot (or the island mysteries) at all. They are totally unnecessary. Not only that, the show is just dragged out into oblivion, so that by the time that any mystery is cleared up a tiny bit, the viewer doesn't even notice that it is inconsistent with what was shown before (for example, the black smoke security thingy, has clear sounds of footsteps in the first part of the frst season, insinuating to the viewer that it's some kind of gigantic animal, like a dinosaur, those footsteps are gone after they show that it's some kind of black smoke; also the trees going back and forth early on also insunates something big moving through the trees, then nothing after that matches what was shown there, and instead of trees moving back and forth, you get dirt flying up out of the ground, which in the next season* is gone as well). *: also for example when Eko gets killed by the black smoke in season 3 (which reminds me of another mystery that if I remember correctly, is never really satisfactorily explained, how did Locke, Eko and Desmond end up outside the hatch when the whole damn thing imploded, and should have crushed all 3 with it, or at least buried them under a ton of concrete and dirt; perhaps they had some explanation for it later that was so unsatisfactory or far-fetched, as in Alice in Wonderland type of fantasy, that I just forgot what it was; I'm now at S3 episode 12 and it's the end of season 2 that the implosion happens, by the time they do any explaining as to how they survived that implosion, which was insinuated to have happened right at the moment Desmond turns the key, so with all 3 characters inside the hatch area, I will have forgotten whether or not the explanation is in any way consistent with what was shown at the end of season 2, or whether or not it's just a convenient use of Alice in Wonderland style fantasy to quickly explain it away and move on, cause logic doesn't apply anyway on the island, so it doesn't need to make sense, anything is possible, like they were beamed out by fate/destiny at the last second, like Desmond was transported to an earlier part in his life, then gets wacked in the head with a bat and poof, he's beamed back to the island, outside the hatch, in normal time again; like listening to the Mad Hatter explaining something in Alice in Wonderland).

Then there are the things that are just so vague and nonsensical (primarily the hallucinations, timetravel-like scenes, Locke's general ridiculous behaviour and sabotaging decisions*, rambling on about faith in the island and needing to speak to the island or the island telling him what to do, or guiding him in some manner), I hate it all. How could I ever have given this a 5 rating?! And I haven't even gotten to the part where things really make no sense at all anymore and become so vague that you can't even figure out what they are trying to present here, in the last season (some nonsense about purgatory or the afterlife, people dying left and right but not really being dead, while being dead, I don't know anymore). *: for example, whenever there's a chance some questions will be answered, Locke just sabotages any possibility for any mystery to be cleared up, like when he did when he killed the eye-patch guy, who seemed to know quite some interesting things about the island and the Dharma initiative, or when he caused the comminication station to blow up just before that (although they already dragged that out over 2 episodes because of all the useless unimportant flashbacks, S3E11 and 12). The writing is all just a little bit too convenient to drag out the mystery and for things to remain a bit vague, to supposedly keep your imagination and wonder going. I just lose interest if there's never any real clarity regarding any of the mysteries.

I liked the Dharma stuff (the research and orientation videos), that still had some sense of being grounded in reality and not being too much like Alice in Wonderland crazyness. Other than that, it's still mostly a soap drama in the Bold and The Beautiful/Melrose Place style ('who hooks up with who?' And then being overly dramatic when the one they hooked up with dies, with lots of slowmotion scenes and emotional breakdowns, and of course, flashbacks as to what drives the character to this point taking up most of the episode; and all the while you just have to wait for the next episode again for just a tiny lifting of the veil of mystery, that turns out to be much less interesting than anything you might have imagined based on the clues given earlier; how long did it take them to get that hatch open again since the episode where they first show the hatch? The only interesting thing in season 1, and they can't even get it open in season 1 to find out what's inside, no they have to go on with Locke being vague about fate and destiny and a whole bunch of drama first, and then at the end of the season, they leave the 'going into the hatch' part as a cliffhanger for the next season...annoyiiinggg). And every revelation of any mystery turns out to be rather disappointing and often inconsistent with the clues earlier given.

I think I'll give 1899 a pass, I have a feeling it would remind me too much of Lost. For some reason, I kinda liked the first season of the similar show The Peripheral though. I can't quite pinpoint what I like about it, but at times, it's just as vague as Lost and I usually don't like that type of mystery, but somehow, it's less annoying in The Peripheral (although the last episode made little sense to me, I'm still not sure what happened there).

edit on 19-12-2022 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2022 @ 01:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: whereislogic

originally posted by: The2Billies
Watched the first 2 episodes last night.

It was sort of on the order of the TV show LOST

Full of people with troubled backgrounds who find their best selves

... Not only that, the show is just dragged out into oblivion, so that by the time that any mystery is cleared up a tiny bit, the viewer doesn't even notice that it is inconsistent with what was shown before (for example, the black smoke security thingy, has clear sounds of footsteps in the first part of the frst season, insinuating to the viewer that it's some kind of gigantic animal, like a dinosaur, those footsteps are gone after they show that it's some kind of black smoke; also the trees going back and forth early on also insunates something big moving through the trees, then nothing after that matches what was shown there, and instead of trees moving back and forth, you get dirt flying up out of the ground, which in the next season* is gone as well). *: also for example when Eko gets killed by the black smoke in season 3

And now in season 3, episode 15, the footsteps and moving trees are back again, it's like they forgot it for a while. Or did I forget there were 2 types of 'monsters'?
edit on 20-12-2022 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2023 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Glad to see so many Netflix watchers; currently working at that studio here in the Land of Enchantment.

"Chupa" a Netflix produced film looks good....release date next month.

www.imdb.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join