It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Ancient Tunnel Discovered Beneath an Egyptian Temple May Lead to Cleopatra’s Tomb

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Nov, 8 2022 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Archaeologists have discovered a tunnel under an ancient temple known as Taposiris Magna. An archaeologist named Kathleen Martinez who leads this effort thinks that Taposiris is the lead candidate for Cleopatra's & potentially Marc Antony's tomb(s). It's assumed that Cleopatra and Marc Antony were buried together since they were romatically involved. Amoung some of the items already found are: Mummies with golden tongues, Spinx statues, pottery, and a cemetery containing Greco-Roman-style mummies buried facing the temple. Apparently, mummies buried facing a temple is a strong symbol that a royal tomb was built in the area, further supporting Martinez's claim that a royal tomb is built in the area.

Archaeologists have discovered a rock-cut tunnel beneath Egypt’s ancient Taposiris Magna Temple—and it may lead to the lost tomb of Cleopatra, who was the last ruler of Ptolemaic Egypt from 51 to 30 B.C.E.

The Egyptian Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities announced the find last week, describing the 4,265-foot tunnel, located 43 feet underground, as a “geometric miracle.” It is similar to the Tunnel of Eupalinos on the Greek Island of Samos, considered one antiquity’s engineering marvels.

News of the discovery, made during an excavation project led by archaeologist Kathleen Martinez of the University of San Domingo, was reported by Ancient Origins.

Cleopatra famously died by suicide after her husband, the Roman general Mark Antony, also killed himself. The two are believed to have been buried together.

This could be a major find if true; almost as major as the discovery of King Tut's tomb What does ATS think? Is Archaeologist Martinez onto something?

news.artnet.com...

posted on Nov, 8 2022 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

That is very interesting! Thank you for bringing this to my, and others, attention!

I can't help myself and need to say, I can't wait for the reconstitution of both Cleopatra and Marc Anthony's faces, mostly because I want to see her nose... I've been wondering about it for decades! lol

posted on Nov, 8 2022 @ 09:23 PM
link   
that would be amazing.

Imagine the history that could be found inside if true.

posted on Nov, 8 2022 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Wow that would be awesome if true.

originally posted by: coamanach

That is very interesting! Thank you for bringing this to my, and others, attention!

I can't help myself and need to say, I can't wait for the reconstitution of both Cleopatra and Marc Anthony's faces, mostly because I want to see her nose... I've been wondering about it for decades! lol

So, it's not just me who's been weirdly preoccupied with Cleo's nose over the years. One of Earth's great mysteries.

posted on Nov, 8 2022 @ 10:41 PM
link   
So I was looking at the area to get a better idea of what we are looking at and found some interesting pictures and information about the temple.

madainproject.com...

The structure is built in Greco-Roman style so that is very compelling in itself for it to be a similar era and style for Cleopatra and Marc Anthony but also when I pulled the location up on Google maps.

WGW9+FF8, ADH Dheraa Al Bahri, Borg El Arab, Alexandria Governorate 5217120, Egypt

The site sits just up the road from Alexandra's ancient lighthouse, port, and where her palace would have been. So I feel like if anything she is on the right track and depending on the direction of the tunnel I do wonder if it ends up actually connecting to the palace in some way.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

Interesting too is that the palace itself had Osiris and Iris depictions which would match the temple which was dedicated to Osiris.

With so many connections I have a feeling we will be seeing some very interesting upcoming announcements. ^.^

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: ProgramSiberia

Thanks for the info and thanks for your contribution to this thread!

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Very cool find that would be quite a spectacular discovery if it is cleo, almost holding my breath for this one

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 03:48 AM
link   
ZAHI HAWAS is and will always be a tyrant of Egypts History and a profiteering kingpin to the detriment of Egypt and world historical truth
edit on 11/9/2022 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Very cool OP!

Thank you for bringing this to light lb.

I hope we hear more about this soon. Pretty astounding.

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 05:37 AM
link   
a reply to: coamanach

I thought it was her mouth that was her most endearing attribute?

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Agreed! There in lies the crux of the problem!
A good friend of mine met him a few years back. Her opinion of him? Pretty much what you said with an ego the sie of the Great Pyramid!
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

True indeed!

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Very exciting, thank you

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 08:33 PM
link   

I love this stuff. I hope they do find Cleopatra.

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 10:26 PM
link   

No problem at all! I remember the days when people actually stayed on topic and added to. You'd never know what cool information you'd find in the comments, always kept me coming back for days to see the responses. XD

It's nice to be able to add to the conversation. Thanks for posting OP!

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 10:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: [post=26757774]Freeborn
I thought it was her mouth that was her
most endearing attribute?

Haha well it sure wasn't her nose .
Original depiction of cleopatra , can
be seen on the coins during that time.

Cleo & Antony
(her hair in corn rows)

PHOTO

Modern depictions, just as
with Jesus have been adulterated big time.
As for
"These are Egyptian monuments.
I will make life miserable for anyone who steals-keeps them."
-quote Zahi Hawass
Good for Him

edit on 9/11/22 by ToneDeaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2022 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Thx for the news sharing!

posted on Nov, 11 2022 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: ToneDeaf

originally posted by: [post=26757774]Freeborn
I thought it was her mouth that was her
most endearing attribute?

Haha well it sure wasn't her nose .
Original depiction of cleopatra , can
be seen on the coins during that time.

Cleo & Antony
(her hair in corn rows)

PHOTO

Modern depictions, just as
with Jesus have been adulterated big time.
As for
"These are Egyptian monuments.
I will make life miserable for anyone who steals-keeps them."
-quote Zahi Hawass
Good for Him

the PHOTO you linked.... makes ms Cleopatra look like a hag wuth the hook nose and all

posted on Nov, 14 2022 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
that would be amazing.

Imagine the history that could be found inside if true.

If they do find something... well never hear a word of it.

This isnt 1920s, Anything they find will be kept hush hush, or stopped in their tracks before they find anything.

posted on Nov, 14 2022 @ 01:42 PM
link   

I'm very interested in this because there's a decent chance the tomb wasn't looted. HOWEVER (big however) there's no mention of it being visited by travelers in antiquity and the details of their deaths and burials is inconsistent. One account says Cleopatra was allowed to mummify Anthony (another says he was given a funeral pyre and she carried his ashes to the tomb)... which means either 70 days between his death and hers -- or perhaps only a week or so.

A lot of sources mention her taking refuge in her tomb (the Egyptian practice was to construct your tomb while still alive) but even then the details seem odd (one mentions someone using a ladder to get into her tomb to talk to her).

Octavian's best move (If I were he) would be to burn the bodies or put them in an undisclosed location so that loyalists couldn't use them as a focal point for rebellion.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join