It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I AM OMICRON!!! (Naming the next COVID strain.)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2022 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Who names this stuff? It just has to about making it sounds scary. What should be the next one?

I'll never forget where I was when I first heard "Omicron strain". I pictured some cartoon evil overlord guy, dude seriously metal, raising up both arms into the air as if hes powering up, while saying "I... AM... OMICRON!!!"

Which went in line with the one not too long before that: the DELTA Strain. That one was interesting to me because it hit the news about a month after I started seeing "Delta-8-THC" legal marijuana products showing up at smoke shops. The illegal form is Delta-9-THC, by the way. So it seemed too perfect as a sub-conscious sort of scare thing as I imagined Delta-8 was on the news right around then too.

It turns out omicron, like delta, is from the Greek language:

Omicron (/ˈoʊmɪkrɒn, ˈɒmɪkrɒn, oʊˈmaɪkrɒn/;[1] uppercase Ο, lowercase ο, Greek: όμικρον is the 15th letter of the Greek alphabet. This letter is derived from the Phoenician letter ayin: Phoenician ayin.svg. In classical Greek, omicron represented the close-mid back rounded vowel IPA:

This post was part of a special Halloween Homage to Orson Wells.
Jumping out from behind the server and shouting BOO!
in contrast to omega which represented the open-mid back rounded vowel IPA: [ɔː] and the digraph ου which represented the long close-mid back rounded vowel IPA: [oː]. In modern Greek, both omicron and omega represent the mid back rounded vowel IPA: [o̞] or IPA: [ɔ̝]. Letters that arose from omicron include Roman O and Cyrillic O. The word literally means "little O" (o mikron) as opposed to "great O" (ō mega).[2] In the system of Greek numerals, omicron has a value of 70.
en.wikipedia.org...

And delta comes before omicron, by 11 letters.

Okay, so lets see if there's any other scary sounding Greek letters or numerals... about all they got left with that naming convention is sigma, upsilon and omega. I think you'd have to save the Omega strain for the one that wipes out humanity, or as a last ditch hail mary sort to get people out of their minds again if the newscycle gets too stale.

Then after that, what's next?

NECRONOMICON!!!

edit on 17-10-2022 by godsovein because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2022 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: godsovein

I've got a good one, but it's already taken.

posted on Oct, 17 2022 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Omicron = Moronic

posted on Oct, 17 2022 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: MykeNukem

Omicron = Moronic

Yeah man. More mockery from the establishment

posted on Oct, 17 2022 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Technocrats like their Greek letters.

posted on Oct, 17 2022 @ 09:32 PM
link   
It's just a Greek letter. Omega is up pretty soon, and I have to admit that "The Omega Strain" sounds like a horror movie.

posted on Oct, 17 2022 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Alrighty then, I give you Jojo Commander:

new topics

top topics

join