It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why NOBODY should be using the 'thumbs up' emoji in 2022

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: Boadicea

I ❀️
🀣

Sorry I had to!

Of course you did!!!

And I appreciate it

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kurokage
We've all been "that" generation to the more mature generations around us. Well, It's our turn to moan now, damn it!!

It sure is our turn!

Kids with their stupid phones and dumb simplified language, they don't know how good they have it!!

They sure don't!

Perhaps they're about to learn 🀣

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: LunaticPandora
Bunch of soft little crybabies.

I'm so sick of being dictated to by a generation of know-nothing spoiled brats who cry at every little thing.

Understandable.

So have a good belly laugh!!!

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 09:54 AM
link   
The world is in such a sad state that people need to search for things to be offended by...

Just imagine if they had real problems.

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 09:54 AM
link   
This reminds me a bit of the hair part/skinny jeans war

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 09:58 AM
link   
If my thumb upsets them, they're really gonna hate the next finger I show them.

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
The world is in such a sad state that people need to search for things to be offended by...

How can they turn such a wholesome thing such as a thumbs up into something passive aggressive.
What’s next smiling?

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

This is exactly what boggles my mind. When you've experienced and dealt with real problems -- life-changing and even life-ending problems -- this kind of nonsense isn't even on the radar.

Well, except maybe to wish that were your biggest problem!

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
If my thumb upsets them, they're really gonna hate the next finger I show them.

LOL -- my first comment to my husband was if they don't like a thumbs up, how would they feel about the bird?

And just for kicks and giggles I checked out all my emojis, and sure enough, there is one!!!

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

Oh my dear lordy!!! I had no idea how serious this had gotten!

I weep for the second woman. That was disturbing to watch.

I much prefer laughing for myself!

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I got another "emoji" with a single digit extended that's much more appropriate and universally understood.

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea
We got such a laugh from this this morning that I thought I'd share the giggles:

Why NOBODY should be using the 'thumbs up' emoji in 2022 - and the 10 symbols only 'old people' use that have Gen Z rolling their eyes

• Gen Z sees the thumbs up emoji as rude or passive aggressive, they say
  • The emoji is commonly used in casual and professional conversation
  • People aged 35 and over are more likely to use the symbol but it is alienating
  • Other emojis only used by 'old people' include 'crying laughing' and the heart

To be fair, I'm not sure there is any place for emojis in professional correspondence, but "rude"? "Passive aggressive"? "Alienating"??? They get all this from a thumbs up? Oh lordy!!!

The other emojis listed are OK hand, Tick, Poo, Loudly crying face, Monkey eye cover, clapping hands, Lipstick kiss mark, and Grimacing face.

I'm one of those over-35s who uses the thumbs up after a conversation/discussion has taken place, and I just want to say "sounds good" or "got it". It's quick and easy for both parties. I also use the red heart (and all the other colored hearts) -- but mostly just with family; and the laughing-crying face to show I'm joking or not taking something seriously. I can't imagine sending the lipstick kiss mark to anyone except my husband, and I wouldn't send it to him either/

Apparently some folks DO take this quite seriously!

But is this really an age thing? Sounds more like grievance collecting to me. With all the craptastic people doing craptastic things, the last thing I want to do is find reasons to be offended. Even if offense is intended, ain't no skin off my back. I'll just laugh and shake my head and keep doing what I'm doing.

Is this really a thing at all? Anyone else heard about this? Anyone actually agree with this?

Thanks in advance for the replies

(couldn't resist!)

Articles like this are an excellent indicator it's time to unplug and go touch grass.

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kurokage
We've all been "that" generation to the more mature generations around us. Well, It's our turn to moan now, damn it!!

Kids with their stupid phones and dumb simplified language, they don't know how good they have it!!

What's happening right now is not to be taken with a chuckle and a pinch of salt. We are living in completely different times to our elders.

I'm getting 70's Cambodia vibes from what's happening in the west these days.

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

Articles like this are an excellent indicator it's time to unplug and go touch grass.

That's an excellent suggestion

And yes, I'm serious for anyone wondering!

One of my favorite things in the world (when the weather is warm enough) is to walk barefoot in the yard while the sun is coming up. It's the scents, the sounds, the light, and especially the feeling of the dewy grass under my feet. There's something magically refreshing and uplifting about it all. Even euphoric.

It's much like meditation and puts lots of things in a brighter perspective.

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Okay, I'm going to use thumbs up on
EVERYTHING
just to get the little snowflakes wound up. We old people love to yank chains so it's probably not a good idea to demand idiotic crap.

edit on 12-10-2022 by billxam because: added thumbs up.

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Here's how I feel about them -

. __________________πŸ–•
. ________________πŸ‘πŸ‘
. ______________πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
. ____________πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
. _________😒😒😒😒😒😒😒😒

edit on 10 12 2022 by underpass61 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

What’s next smiling?

More than likely.

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

What's happening right now is not to be taken with a chuckle and a pinch of salt. We are living in completely different times to our elders.

I'm not one to compare pain and suffering. No victim Olympics for me. And it's also true in terms of "times" and "generations." Our basic needs and existence is exactly the same as it always has been and always will be. Only the means of production have changed. Every generation has its threats and risks and limitations. Every generation also has its successes and progress and glory.

I would say the biggest difference today from previous generations is that we increasingly live in an artificial and disposable world. Life skills have been lost to convenience and cheap goods. And people are increasingly disposable and expendable, especially to the younger generations, who are so quick to "cancel" and "ghost" others.

I'm getting 70's Cambodia vibes from what's happening in the west these days.

I have no idea what you mean by that. Care to expand?

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Grounding your feet is a very healthy activity.

I should do it more, thank you for the reminder!

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: billxam

Okay, I'm going to use thumbs up on
EVERYTHING
just to get the little snowflakes wound up. We old people love to yank chains so it's probably not a good idea to demand idiotic crap.

Ya pretty much have to now, right???

Poor kids aren't gonna know what hit 'em! I'd say they really didn't think this thru, but duh!

On a practical side, this may prove a valuable lesson. Too many people are too easily offended by too many things, even to the point of creating offense where it was not intended and does not exist, and it doesn't serve anyone well. Maybe it's a good opportunity for them to see that even where offense is intended, it's up to the target whether they let themselves be offended or just laugh it off and go on their way.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join