It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BRITAIN is messing the West up at a very vulnerable time

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2022 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Tarantula777

to tell you the turth, if the EU is still suffering dramatically form Brexit, it wasn't a very strong union to began with, or all the other countries were count on the UK to shore them up which was wrong.

posted on Sep, 29 2022 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Honestly think this is a NONE-ISSUE

The UK is doing its own thing, as is all other EU or western countries

Or should Greece be copying Germany?

Every individual state or nation doing its only book and micro managing is the right thing to do, there is no one size fits all

Why isn't The UK copying California ?

Its a silly statement really

posted on Sep, 29 2022 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: McGinty

The thing is, Truss is determined to out-Thatcher Thatcher.
This was one of the most mis-guided pieces of policy I have known in my 57 years on this rock.
It has been implemented for purely ideological reasons with no regard whatsoever for financial and/or economic reasons.

I know I'm preaching to the converted so I won't go on about the in's and out's of the measures she has introduced.

Literally every single financial/economic institution has come out and criticised it, yet in her arrogance she insists she is right and the whole #ing world is wrong.

She has been very open and brazen about the FACT that the most wealthy in our country and the vultures in the financial markets are the one's who are going to benefit most and that the most needy and vulnerable in our society will benefit the least.
Yet she arrogantly refuses to budge; she's a horrible human being.

But we haven't replaced 'one set of parasites for another'.....when we were in the EU we had two sets of parasites feeding off us, now we have one.
And we have more chance of changing the set of bastards in Westminster than we did have of changing those in Brussels.

They say a week is a long time in politics.....
Liz Truss has only been PM for 23 days.
George Canning was the shortest serving PM - 119 days.
A hell of a lot could happen in the next 96 days.....I wouldn't be surprised if she beats him.

No matter how anyone tries to spin this....its all smoke in mirrors.
Trickle down economics does not work, it never has and it never will.

If we genuinely want to get this country moving again we need to invest in our schools and our youth.
We need to invest in our infrastructure and get people into meaningful and productive work and pay them an honest days wage for an honest days work.

The obsession with profit is a cancer.

Alas there is no-one around with the vision, strength and moral fortitude to deliver anything like what this country needs.

I think I've gone a bit off topic.....again.

posted on Sep, 29 2022 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: TritonTaranis
Honestly think this is a NONE-ISSUE

The UK is doing its own thing, as is all other EU or western countries

Or should Greece be copying Germany?

Every individual state or nation doing its only book and micro managing is the right thing to do, there is no one size fits all

Why isn't The UK copying California ?

Its a silly statement really

Leftist mental illness gobbledegook.

posted on Sep, 29 2022 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

With no EU behind the people we have Jacob Rees Mogg talking about reviewing workers rights established like the 48 hour week and paid holiday rights whilst talking about how wonderful the Victorian era was.

posted on Sep, 29 2022 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: glen200376

.....stop voting for idiots just because your parents did,they are the enemy of white straight males and will continue to flood the country with your third world replacements.

Err....we've had a Tory government for the last 12 years.
Despite all the sound bites they have done nothing, a big fat zero, about immigration.
In fact, illegal immigration has TRIPLED in the last four years.....and that's according to official government sources.
I dread to think what the actual figures are.

If you'd like to discuss immigration in general in the UK please start a thread on the subject and I'll gladly contribute.

Voters deserted the party their parents voted for en masse at the last election .....and The Tories have done absolutely nothing for them despite all the rhetoric they spewed in the build up to the last election.
It certainly isn't going to change under Truss is it!

posted on Sep, 29 2022 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

I have been saying for donkeys years both here on ATS and in the 'real world' that there is a concerted effort to take us back to a Victorianesque society along with all the social and economic inequalities and injustices that went with it.

Its up to The British people to do something about it, we don't need some EU overlord dictating things for us.
We are British, this is OUR country, its up to US to do something about it.

We need to rid ourselves of the nonsensical notion that Labour and Conservative are our only options.
We need to rid ourselves of the notion that our parliamentary and electoral processes and procedures are the only options.
They aren't.

The party political model is no longer fit-for-purpose.

Rant over.
Apologies my friend.

edit on 29/9/22 by Freeborn because: typo

posted on Sep, 29 2022 @ 11:06 AM
link   
That's not a rant.

It's the truth and you should be saying it very loudly and on a regular basis.

posted on Sep, 29 2022 @ 11:13 AM
link   

I read this OP earlier this morning and was nothing less than entirely amazed.

To get to the core of the problem of the UK troubles, one need look no further than:
www.theguardian.com...

This "problem" is typical of the old debate about whether lowering taxes stimulates economic activity which ultimately leads to higher revenues for the government. It's nothing new.

What IS new is that the UK press screamed bloody murder the day the mini-budget was announced, decrying the measure as catastrophic and the markets reacted in lock step by selling off in near panic at the "pronouncements of doom" by the UK press. Quite obviously the UK press is "all-in" for the Labour party and has been for years, so virtually anything a Tory government does is "near disastrous".

I can't quite recall a time in history when the MSM caused a market melt-down of this magnitude. It has been a remarkable event.

I do, however, worry for my friends in the UK. For generations, the British pound was the world's reserve currency. That ended some time ago and as a result, the UK is left with little option except to navigate a difficult economic course bordered by the need to maintain solvency. At this time in history, that's made all the more difficult by the bizaare global strength of the US dollar against which all other currencies have fallen.

Whether this mini-budget plan will work to stimulate growth will take some time to work out.

posted on Sep, 29 2022 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: BarbaraTheEnlightened1

originally posted by: Freeborn
a reply to: BarbaraTheEnlightened1

Your friends are wrong.

Well that is something you would say if you were a part of that generation. I also noticed how the Brit newspapers seem to control the citizens by pushing political ideology onto those unable to form their own independent thought. But hey, that’s just an observation.

No. That's just you being massively patronising.

posted on Sep, 29 2022 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: BarbaraTheEnlightened1

I visited the UK back when it was part of the EU. In many ways it was a smaller reflection of my own proud country, an island of opportunity and diversity

UK is not an island. Great Britain is.

posted on Sep, 29 2022 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

What IS new is that the UK press screamed bloody murder the day the mini-budget was announced,.....

Yet the two largest selling UK newspapers, The Sun and The Daily Mail both hailed the measures and heaped praise on Truss and her gang.

.....and the markets reacted in lock step by selling off in near panic at the "pronouncements of doom" by the UK press.

I'm no financial expert, not by any stretch, but I very much doubt the markets are affected much by what the likes of The Sun and The Mail print in their headlines.

Quite obviously the UK press is "all-in" for the Labour party and has been for years,......

Err, apart from The Daily Mirror and The Guardian almost all national newspapers are passionately pro-Conservative and are quite open about it.

.... so virtually anything a Tory government does is "near disastrous".

UK MSM has been steadfastly loyal and pro-Tory since Cameron was elected in 2010.
Sure, they've criticised some things but generally speaking they've supported them without fail.

Whether this mini-budget plan will work to stimulate growth will take some time to work out.

No it won't because it won't work.....as I said in an earlier post, trickle down economics does not work to any significant amount.
This wis an ideologically motivated initiative and not an economic or financial consideration.

posted on Sep, 29 2022 @ 11:48 AM
link   

It was pure insanity.

posted on Sep, 29 2022 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

Power mad billionaires, unelected bureaucrats, and extremist gender, environmental, and race zealots are destroying the west.

I agree with you 100%, and you forgot to mention the millions and millions of illegals!

posted on Sep, 29 2022 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: ufoorbhunter

I genuinely wouldn't worry about what liz and that bloke who is Chancellor can't remember his name yet are doing, it's out of our hands, they just do what their bosses tell them. The sun will still rise tomorrow, water will be in your taps, the music even though it's gone a bit iffy these days will still play, the robins will fly the buzzards too, Britain will meddle in the affairs of other countries and you will use the toilet and wipe your bum, maybe have some fish and chips and a couple of beers. Nothing will change

You always make complete sense!!

posted on Sep, 29 2022 @ 12:00 PM
link   

First of all it screws Europe and does a runner with little to no warning

The Brexit vote was in 2016 we left in 2020 , how much warning did they need ?

posted on Sep, 29 2022 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

What IS new is that the UK press screamed bloody murder the day the mini-budget was announced, decrying the measure as catastrophic and the markets reacted in lock step by selling off in near panic at the "pronouncements of doom" by the UK press.

The markets reacted because it was the wrong thing to do not because of the press reaction , the Bank of England had to act to stop pension companies going bust , her budget gave big bonuses to the rich and crumbs to the working poor.

Liz Truss is a danger to this country , stupid Tories.

posted on Sep, 29 2022 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Quite right.

Lifelong Conservative voter, me.

Boris made me question that.

Now we have Thatcher wannabe Truss.

This Budget was insane.

I watched Kier Starmers's speech the other day.

For the first time ever Labour seem to have better plans for the economy.

Never thought I'd ever say that!

posted on Sep, 29 2022 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Oldcarpy2

The latest Yougov poll puts Labour 33 points ahead to the Tories , if she lasts to the next election (I doubt it) I will hold my nose and vote Labour.

The Labour Party has surged to an astonishing 33-point lead over the Tories, according to new polling.

The YouGov poll, carried out on Wednesday and Thursday, put Labour on 54% (+9) compared to the Conservatives’ 21% (-7).
uk.news.yahoo.com...

posted on Sep, 29 2022 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Me too. Starmer quite impressed me.

Just worried that the swivel eyed Corbynites are still about and would come out of the woodwork.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join