It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question - Does Anything Really Scare People Anymore?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2022 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: seattlerat
I get scared driving within city limits. It has become complete anarchy since traffic laws are no longer enforced and in a rare instance that they are enforced drivers are no longer required to pull over because... ???

There are quite a few movies that play on the fear of driving in a vehicle. The movies involving hitch hikers comes to mind.

posted on Sep, 22 2022 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

I live in the middle of a redwood forest in the Santa Cruz Mountains of California. I was living a pretty fear-free life until a couple of years ago when I installed some motion-sensing video cameras on the property because we were experiencing mailbox thefts in the neighborhood. The first day the cameras were installed I captured a video of a cute little skunk on the front porch around midnight. The second day I captured a video of a cute little possum around 2 AM. The third day I caught a video of an adult mountain lion going through my yard in one direction about midnight and going the other direction around 5 AM. Ditto for the fourth and fifth nights. This continued uninterrupted for several months until I got tired of recharging the batteries on the cameras.

Turns out I live on a game trail and the mountain lions are going through the yard about every 2 or 3 nights, on the average. I own the property during the day but apparently they own it during the night.

I wasn't really living in fear until I bought those damn cameras.

posted on Sep, 22 2022 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Start carrying bear spray

posted on Sep, 22 2022 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: 1947boomer

I should have paid more attention to my game cam. I might have expected to see two big healthy black bears come right up the drive way in broad daylight. They acted like they owned the place and I didn't feel like arguing with them.

posted on Sep, 22 2022 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cymru

originally posted by: network dude
perhaps a movie depicting the dystopian society we will all live in after the asshole democrats get all that they want. But I suppose that scenario has been played out a few times now.

Soylent Green and Brave New World spring to mind.

Both of which are becoming more plausible by the day.

Human Composting Is Now Legal in California, Leading the Way to 'Soylent Green'

posted on Sep, 22 2022 @ 11:16 AM
link   
My growing ennui with the United States. A personal problem yes, but it is what scares me to my core.

The states have lost their identities as one can find the same things in most every state. We have overcomplicated and oversimplified life at the same time.

There is only one solution.

Burn it down.

I don't want a civil war, I want a war of the people against the fat cat representation of the US that grows fatter and fatter monetarily cada dia while the people are fed poisoned food and poisoned rhetoric that divides us further for their gain.

posted on Sep, 22 2022 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I grew up in an old house...my bedroom shared with 2 brothers, it had a closet that led up to the attic. I was terrified if that closet door was cracked open during the night. That and hands reaching from under the bed when it was shut-eye caused me to leap from quite a distance onto the mattress.
My 3-yr old g-daughter is afraid of loud noises...especially "Funder".
I fear for my g-kids and what kind of world/society they will be living in.

posted on Sep, 22 2022 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Tornados. I always have been afraid of them and likely always will be. Even with a storm shelter, I'm still not enthusiastic about the idea of them.

posted on Sep, 22 2022 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zrtst
I grew up in an old house...my bedroom shared with 2 brothers, it had a closet that led up to the attic. I was terrified if that closet door was cracked open during the night. That and hands reaching from under the bed when it was shut-eye caused me to leap from quite a distance onto the mattress.
My 3-yr old g-daughter is afraid of loud noises...especially "Funder".
I fear for my g-kids and what kind of world/society they will be living in.

Classic material right there, but unless that closet door really opened or that hand actually reached up, it isn't likely to scare you in a movie or book.

Once, when my GF had gone into town, I was taking a shower. I never heard her get home and thought I was totally alone in the house. When she got home, she came into the bathroom and tickled my behind in the shower. I instantly became shocked and frighten, but all I could do is say, "Holy Crap!" I couldn't even use a swear word. A tip of the hat to ole Alfred Hitchcock's shower scene.

posted on Sep, 22 2022 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hypntick

Tornados. I always have been afraid of them and likely always will be. Even with a storm shelter, I'm still not enthusiastic about the idea of them.

I agree with wind storms being frightening as I live around a bunch of big trees. The "Wizard of Oz" has some scary tornado scenes in the beginning, but now we have storm movies like "Shark-nado" to scare us, as if a violent storm isn't bad enough.

posted on Sep, 22 2022 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I have recurring dreams about tornados...being near them, watching them head toward me, etc. No doubt stems from the time us 4 kids were home alone and a tornado ripped thru the Grand Rapids SE side, knocked over a few trees and our garage while 4 elementary school-aged kids cowered in the coal-bin basement by the octopus furnace.

posted on Sep, 22 2022 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Possible things that scare me:
Armed home invasion
Someone living in my attic or something that watches me while I sleep.

Clowns in general.
lol

When I was a kid I was scared of spiders but now I just squish them.

I think some paranormal things are still scary.
As I deal in the occult and have seen some things... The idea that someone around me could be under the control of some unseen entity, is pretty scary. Also that there may be a very powerful force 'haunting' my house is a frightening thing, given my personal experiences. Esp. if it's one that is very difficult to banish.

Given that, I still find films like The Conjuring a good thrill.
I liked The Strangers too, for the first topics I was discussing.

posted on Sep, 22 2022 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: chris_stibrany

The older I get the less the paranormal scares me…
People scare me more now… some are downright evil.

posted on Sep, 22 2022 @ 12:04 PM
link   
It's interesting how perceptions change. Most 'scary' movies fall way short these days.
The things I find truly scary now are subjects like "Missing 411'. The idea that something malevolent is lurking out there in the woods. The David Paulides stories are so freaky!

posted on Sep, 22 2022 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Government overreach frightens the hell outta me.

posted on Sep, 22 2022 @ 12:09 PM
link   

People are scary for sure. But I think it's a really different kind of scary.
People are scary cuz yeah they could cause you pain or kill you.
Paranormal # may be scarier though because it could not only cause you pain or kill you, it could engender your 'soul' . Use it, trap it, even destroy it in some extremely rare cases.

posted on Sep, 22 2022 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Thought I'd mention that the feeling of helpless is a good fear inducer and may be part of this fear of the way things are so out of our control in this world currently. Everyone has posted some good stuff, but all done to almost every extreme they can release to the public, over and over again.

This all brings me back to the possibility that this conditioning, this desensitizing, is part of some plan to weaken people, make them easier to control and allow corruption to escalate. When nothing shocks you, then it is possible to get away with more and more horrible things without a severe reaction from the public.

posted on Sep, 22 2022 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

My ex wives. Both of them. Sorry..(door closing)

Ah yes, but a theme that runs through some horror films. "Fatal Attraction" comes to mind as does "Play Misty for Me" and even "The Stepford Wives" in it's approach to solve the wife/girlfriend "problem".
edit on 22-9-2022 by MichiganSwampBuck because: For Clarity

posted on Sep, 22 2022 @ 03:15 PM
link   
understand completely what you mean!
I loved to read Stephen King books, and some of them really scared me, now when I read them they are 'nothing special'.

The last time I took a scare from a movie was with 'Paranormal Activity' on the big screen. ( I don't like gore movies or jump scares)
My favorite classic is 'the Omen' movies, love the series as well.

Current world events worry me,
Spiders disgust me, scare me when it's a big one!

Guess the last time I really felt scared was when we first moved out here, the first week we slept in the woods there was something on the roof at night. It sounded like huge duck feet going 'flap flap flap flap flap', from left to right and back, for nearly an hour. None of us dared to go outside to have a look. I have never heard it again after that.
pretty sure it was aliens!!!

These days we sit outside in the dark without a second thought. (why would we, no one in his right mind comes here after dark!
)

posted on Sep, 22 2022 @ 04:00 PM
link   

I urge you to watch 'Paranormal Activity' if you haven't seen it already.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join