It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Get ready for the railroad strike

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2022 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
They are going to nationalize the railroads.

Just a thought.

Lol the plot of Atlas Shrugged is finally manifesting itself in reality.

posted on Sep, 13 2022 @ 01:28 PM
link   
My brother in law is a technician for a railroad. He has been fixing trains for about 30 years. In that time he has stated over and over again that the railroad companies answer to the share holders and no one else. He has seen his crew go from about 30 people (in a major hub) down to 10. And they never backfill. He works his bones to dust and will probably die a young man even though he has ZERO bad habits.

If any workplace deserves more, it is the guys and gals that keep our rail lines working.

I know that goes against the grain I suppose, but they really do treat their workers like #. Regardless of their pension (which is pretty nice).

posted on Sep, 13 2022 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I don't think the railroad workers have nearly as much leverage as they think they do.

Compared to cars or trucks, automating trains is trivially simple. There is no steering as such, which eliminates at least 90% of the complexity, and everybody already expects to have to stay out of the train's way (because it's physically impossible to stop a train quickly).

posted on Sep, 13 2022 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: AndyFromMichigan
I don't think the railroad workers have nearly as much leverage as they think they do.

Compared to cars or trucks, automating trains is trivially simple. There is no steering as such, which eliminates at least 90% of the complexity, and everybody already expects to have to stay out of the train's way (because it's physically impossible to stop a train quickly).

To be fair, it's not just about driving straight on rails. Engineers do have skills. They need to know about things like negotiating grade and looking out for hazards, which are, unfortunately, many.

People are supposed to be smart enough to avoid trains, but engineers will tell you people routinely cross in front of trains. Look up the videos on YT. People are stupid.

posted on Sep, 13 2022 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I also hope the rail workers get what they're asking for.
It is always dangerous work day-night & weather extremes. Lots of manufacturers get their chemicals delivered by rail so depending on what the train is hauling thats a ton of responsibility.

Strikes are always serious business and usually not done lightly.
If you go out on strike that means every day you'll be walking picket lines, not sitting at home eating bon-bone playing x-box with the kids.

Our union sucked, but I still think they're better than a employer holding all the cards.
(Pete Seeger anyone? RIP) Now I have my hopes up we'll finally get a few days off since we're one of those ridiculous "just in time" customers. And why yes!! I will be dropping off coffee & food at our local Picket line.
For clarification I'm NOT a democrat.
If blue collar folk don't stick together they get ground to dust.

posted on Sep, 13 2022 @ 11:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

These workers aren’t even getting UNPAID sick leave.

Between this and the nurses I’m glad people are fighting for their rights. These conditions
Are crazy and dangerous.

posted on Sep, 14 2022 @ 09:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Several railroad worker unions are preparing to strike on Friday if demands are not addressed.
This is after the end of a 30 day cool off period from the last deadline.

What does this mean for you?

“ Around 40% of the nation’s long-distance trade is moved by rail, more than any other form of transportation. If the unions strike, more than 7,000 trains would be idled and the rail industry has estimated it would cost the economy up to $2 billion per day.”

“ “Idling all 7,000 long distance daily freight trains in the U.S. would require more than 460,000 additional long-haul trucks every day, which is not possible based on equipment availability and an existing shortage of 80,000 drivers,” said ATA President and CEO Chris Spear in the letter. “As such, any rail service disruption will create havoc in the supply chain and fuel inflationary pressures across the board.”

This could be ugly for the supply chain if this turns into an extended stoppage.
Lots of food and oil is moved by rail so this can definitely be more than receiving your Amazon packages later than expected.

www.cnbc.com...

ETA,,,
I should point out that the feds can step in and force the workers back to work and it has happened before.
The rail system moves coal, oil and grain so if it goes too long that could happen.

9.14.2022 UPDATE

President Joe Biden is going to use all his muscle, smarts and savviness, to PREVENT a railroad strike from occurring tomorrow at midnight.

Joe may Personally save the U.S. Economy!: www.politico.com...
🤞

posted on Sep, 14 2022 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Supposedly this is less about wages and more about the scheduling rules the railroads imposed which impose dangerous working conditions by overscheduling. Sure you can make a lot, but if you're overworked because of the hours you're forced to work for it, does it matter? This isn't necessarily the typical case of the union being greedy, but the workers here may actually have a legit beef especially since the rail carriers are basically a monopoly.
edit on 14-9-2022 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2022 @ 10:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

ETA,,,
I should point out that the feds can step in and force the workers back to work and it has happened before.
The rail system moves coal, oil and grain so if it goes too long that could happen.

That might have worked before Covid. Now people don't give a hoot. Help wanted signs everywhere, businesses closing because of lack of staff. No cops or EMT's. Good luck. Maybe they should call in the National Guard or the FBI and, you know, 'fix' it.

posted on Sep, 14 2022 @ 10:42 PM
link   
This is entirely about work scheduling and other worker protections. The employees would accept the proposed wage increase if the other areas of contention were addressed as well.

Rail workers have been working without a contract for over two years now, and that's about how long it takes to get to this point. Railroaders (by federal law) don't get to just strike whenever they feel like it. They have to go through a long drawn out process first. For the majority of that time the railroads wouldn't even sit at the table to negotiate.

Other areas of contention are crew size, worker safety rules, health care and scheduling.

Oh, and that retirement that everyone is all excited about? The railroads contribute the same amount as any other business does to Social Security. The part that makes it so great is funded too- by the employees themselves through additional withholding from every pay check. The railroads certainly don't pay for it!

posted on Sep, 14 2022 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I have personal knowledge of four times in the past year a railroad has attempted to hire new conductors.

Each class had 25 openings. No class had more then 7 applicants. That's with a $5000 referral offer, and a $25000 hire bonus.

How toxic does a workplace have to be for that to happen?

Toxic enough that 30% of the workforce has quit in the last year.
edit on 9/14/2022 by Montana because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2022 @ 05:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Montana
I have personal knowledge of four times in the past year a railroad has attempted to hire new conductors.

Each class had 25 openings. No class had more then 7 applicants. That's with a $5000 referral offer, and a $25000 hire bonus.

How toxic does a workplace have to be for that to happen?

Toxic enough that 30% of the workforce has quit in the last year.

Yes and that's why I say "Good Luck". This didn't happen overnight and there's a new air about with people and 'working'. Combined with the lack of respect for the government (and all it's tentacles) for the lack of protection for it's citizens and the law, the overzealousness in persecuting those that don't agree with it, it's the new normal 'ya know. The government has given the finger to approximately half it's citizens, the people are giving it right back in one of the few legal ways they can.

Since the railroads at this point don't have staffing (their own fault) to ease the other issues their employees are demanding, they are now stuck between a rock and a hard place. You can't ease the long hours of work for the staff you have if you don't have other staff to fill those hours. You can't hire new staff when your reputation for overworking your staff is a solid. They put themselves in a bad way and it's going to be tough to get out.

I don't see it stopping soon.

edit on 15-9-2022 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2022 @ 06:10 AM
link   
It's just been announced that the unions were able to negotiate a deal with the railroads. Strike averted.

posted on Sep, 15 2022 @ 06:25 AM
link   
I started a thread about this earlier. However, it was from the rail workers perspective.

Most importantly, the rail companies are the ones shutting down the rail lines. They started putting embargoes on product shipments a week before the cooling-off period ended. They are already blocking even more shippers in an attempt to secure government intervention in the negotiations that will almost surely side with the companies over the workers.

Also, this is not just a pay grab from the rail workers. They are fighting some serious issues. Since rail workers are considered necessary, even in times of so-called global pandemics, rail workers have been fired for getting sick or just taking a regular office visit with a doctor. This is not a joke, it is not a typo, and yes it does happen - even in America.

As it stands now the rail workers are on the job and ready to work. It is the rail companies that are blocking shipments, not the unions.

I am about as anti-union as a person can get. But on this one I have to side with the workers. Rail companies using supply shortages during the worst inflation since the great depression is criminal in my book.

posted on Sep, 15 2022 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
It's just been announced that the unions were able to negotiate a deal with the railroads. Strike averted.

Really?
The union people voted and agreed?

posted on Sep, 15 2022 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

Really?

All the other sources are paywalled so had to use CNN so you could see it:

A verbal agreement between the two sides was reached at about 2:30 am ET according to sources, and the final hours were spent getting the details worked out.

CNN

posted on Sep, 15 2022 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Really?

YES. And as I pointed out yesterday, Joe Biden and MSM were positioning themselves then, to give Joe Biden credit for ending the strike that never started.

Railroad Strike Averted, thanks to President Biden: apnews.com...

posted on Sep, 15 2022 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust
Interesting
The article I read said the members still had to vote.
Would be a shame if they voted no again.

P.S.
Perhaps you should read your source.

What resulted from the back and forth was a tentative agreement that will go to union members for a vote after a post-ratification cooling off period of several weeks.

From your link

edit on 15/9/2022 by shooterbrody because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2022 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: frogs453

Really?

All the other sources are paywalled so had to use CNN so you could see it:

A verbal agreement between the two sides was reached at about 2:30 am ET according to sources, and the final hours were spent getting the details worked out.

CNN

Lol
You too eh?
How did that vote go?

posted on Sep, 15 2022 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Montana

This is correct, I work as a subcontractor for the Railroad industry and not only is the workplace toxic but as stated this has a lot to do about paid time off, staffing, and the ability to take time off which was based off some kind of point system.

I have heard first had reports of drivers that get relieved get to their hotel room which may be an hour or more away, get ready to go to bed and then get a phone call telling them they need to get back to work so essentially they have less than a few hours off before having to go back and drive a train again.

I also believe there was some push to have minimal staffing on some of the freight trains which is a big safety issue. The moral at some of the train yards is pretty bad and attrition at some is hitting hard.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join