It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doomsday glacier, which could raise sea level by several feet, is holding on 'by its fingernails'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2022 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

So frozen water doesn't burst pipes?

posted on Sep, 5 2022 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61

originally posted by: ColdWisdom
a reply to: infolurker

From the most trusted name in news:

The Thwaites Glacier itself has concerned scientists for decades. As early as 1973, researchers questioned whether it was at high risk of collapse. Nearly a decade later, they found that -- because the glacier is grounded to a seabed, rather than to dry land -- warm ocean currents could melt the glacier from underneath, causing it to destabilize from below.

It can’t raise sea levels, because its volume is already contained in the waters of the Antarctic Ocean.

/thread

And if I remember correctly from my high school science class frozen water actually takes up more volume than liquid water so wouldn't the level go down?

Well, no.
Ice does have more volume for its weight, which is why frozen water floats in liquid water. the mass is the same. As it melts the displacement won't change, because it's the same mass in the end, no matter the state.

Either way, when ice melts the mass is the same but the volume is reduced.

The exact same principle is easily seen when you boil water- a gallon of water in steam takes a huge amount of volume, but its the same number of molecules, the same weight.

posted on Sep, 5 2022 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Obviously it does. Water starts to expand as it cools from around 4°C. It also expands as it boils. For example, when I make beer and I boil the wort, it expands by approximately 4%.

posted on Sep, 5 2022 @ 07:10 PM
link   
If The Earth is warming from underground, why is CO2 causing Global Climate Change? 😎

posted on Sep, 5 2022 @ 07:11 PM
link   

What if they use bigger pipes? 😎

posted on Sep, 5 2022 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

Your correct ice that is in the ocean will have no effect on sea level. You can do this at home take an ice cube drop it in water mark it and see if it rises after it melts. You'll find it doesn't change it just now takes up less space.

posted on Sep, 5 2022 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColdWisdom
a reply to: infolurker

From the most trusted name in news:

The Thwaites Glacier itself has concerned scientists for decades. As early as 1973, researchers questioned whether it was at high risk of collapse. Nearly a decade later, they found that -- because the glacier is grounded to a seabed, rather than to dry land -- warm ocean currents could melt the glacier from underneath, causing it to destabilize from below.

It can’t raise sea levels, because its volume is already contained in the waters of the Antarctic Ocean.

/thread

Not the part of the volume that’s above sea level.

posted on Sep, 5 2022 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: 1947boomer

That only matters if the ice is sitting on land instead of floating. I haven't been interested enough to look up whether Thwaites Glacier is sitting on land or floating, but the answer to that would make all the difference. I imagine that it very well could be floating because they said the glacier is being melted from below.
edit on 5 9 2022 by tamusan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2022 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Have you guys ever flown over the ocean?
It's like the size space.
Let's talk volume.
1.37 billion cubic kilometers of water.
Must be a pretty big ice cube.
Not the "you can do it, put your back into it!"one either.
The math sounds stupid to me.
Everything that goes into liquid form also goes back into the climate/weather/evap/rain as well.
So, it better melt fast to change anything.
...Like in a day.

posted on Sep, 5 2022 @ 07:58 PM
link   

And if I remember correctly from my high school science class frozen water actually takes up more volume than liquid water so wouldn't the level go down?

EXACTLY! Water is very unique in that it expands when in frozen form, unlike practically every other substance, which contract as they get colder.

And consider the fact that the vast majority of this antarctic glacier is, like most others, beneath the ocean's surface... If and when it breaks loose and floats away into warmer waters, it's a stone-clod FACT that its melting and eventual disappearance will DECREASE sea levels, although only imperceptibly so.

Another shocking, scary headline that's a completely made-up LIE... from "The Most Trusted Name In News" lmao.

And some people scratch their heads and wonder why some of us don't believe what the legacy media says. What a sad joke.

posted on Sep, 5 2022 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr
a reply to: lordcomac

Your correct ice that is in the ocean will have no effect on sea level. You can do this at home take an ice cube drop it in water mark it and see if it rises after it melts. You'll find it doesn't change it just now takes up less space.

Ice that melts in the ocean actually lowers sea level.
Do your own experiment you just mentioned.

Put in ice, fill to rim, then wait.
The level will drop, which is extremely interesting and hasn't been addressed in all these bs doom reports.
A ratio of on to off the ocean would be helpful.
We could be looking at sea levels dropping if the majority is over water.

edit on 9 by Mandroid7 because: Added

edit on 9 by Mandroid7 because: Added

edit on 9 by Mandroid7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2022 @ 08:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: tamusan
a reply to: 1947boomer

That only matters if the ice is sitting on land instead of floating. I haven't been interested enough to look up whether Thwaites Glacier is sitting on land or floating, but the answer to that would make all the difference. I imagine that it very well could be floating because they said the glacier is being melted from below.

It's resting on the seabed.

posted on Sep, 5 2022 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Not if you use pex.
But you might get a case of the man-cans.
...but that one is debatable.

posted on Sep, 5 2022 @ 08:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
If The Earth is warming from underground, why is CO2 causing Global Climate Change? 😎

The Earth isn't warming from underground.

posted on Sep, 5 2022 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: 1947boomer

Last I heard the entire galactic region is heating up, hence the warming of other bodies in our solar system.
So either our earth based science is lying about the planet warming, or they're wrong about the other planets in our system also warming.

A few posts back you demonstrated you don't understand how ice works, despite several previous posts explaining mass vs volume, so I'm not sure you're ready to talk about the potential for electromagnetic waves warming the core of this planet.
To be clear, I've not seen any evidence that it's happening- but it would explain the warming of other planets in our solar system.

posted on Sep, 5 2022 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7

Not if you use pex.
But you might get a case of the man-cans.
...but that one is debatable.

I hate pex in general, but you're not wrong.

I grew up dealing with ice bursting copper pipes.
I've seen what happens when pex gets ice damage, and it recovers incredibly well.
I still don't want to drink water piped through it though, I like my old copper pipe.

posted on Sep, 5 2022 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac

originally posted by: 1947boomer

Last I heard the entire galactic region is heating up, hence the warming of other bodies in our solar system.
So either our earth based science is lying about the planet warming, or they're wrong about the other planets in our system also warming.

A few posts back you demonstrated you don't understand how ice works, despite several previous posts explaining mass vs volume, so I'm not sure you're ready to talk about the potential for electromagnetic waves warming the core of this planet.
To be clear, I've not seen any evidence that it's happening- but it would explain the warming of other planets in our solar system.

You would have to explain where the electromagnetic force is coming from that is strong enough to cause a dielectrically polarized energy flow around the core of any planet capable of heating it. As yet, we have never detected one.
edit on 5-9-2022 by charlyv because: sp

posted on Sep, 5 2022 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: VierEyes

The sea bed is technically land.

It's a distribution of weight issue. If the ice was on water it would be floating and achieving buoyancy which would distribute all of it's weight into the water/ocean.

At the moment the only displaced ocean is the stuff replaced by submerged parts of the Thwaites Glacier. If the glacier loses it's anchor points and becomes an iceberg the ocean must accept the full weight of the ice. It's just physics, temperature and form of the water makes makes little difference until it's distributed...

Which I think is a rather interesting point of melting Antarctic ice, seems to mostly flow away from the continent right?

posted on Sep, 5 2022 @ 09:23 PM
link   
oh noes NOT ITS FINGERNAILS CNN~

I forgot the stupid headline they had like 3 days ago same article, CNN loves to change titles of articles.

basically world ending ice collapse.....

something something stupid wolf, peter you dumb ass.

posted on Sep, 5 2022 @ 09:28 PM
link   
How can something that is already in the water make the water rise up ?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join